Scars

Started by Hexxaex, January 08, 2005, 02:16:43 PM

Many of our characters have descriptions that show scars around their bodies.  I'm not sure about other people, but if you have a scar, say on your head, you can use the "change locdesc" command to add a scar there, just to do your description justice.  My character has a scar that doesn't exactly match any of the descriptions from the list that you can add.

A couple of things:  Should you add scars to your character if your description says you have them?  And (perhaps this is also a code idea) maybe having "custom" scars would be a good idea.  You could do the change locdesc command, and do the following syntax:

buy (<your custom scar name>) <location>

For example:>buy (A short black scar) head

It could even be a good idea for custom scar locations as well.  If you have a scar on the bridge of your nose for example, you could always do:

buy (<your custom scar name>) (<your custom location>)

For example>buy (A short black scar) (elbow)

Suggestions on this?
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I think custom scars should be left in detail of your main desc, and it is fine.  We could as well have 40 line scars on someone if we get something coded like this.
some of my posts are serious stuff

The problem is that you would need to include a LOT more information.
> l dude
<head> A short black scar

> l dude's head

You see, here we would run into a problem.  Perhap's you didn't know this, but scars/tattoos have something equivalent to an sdesc and an mdesc.  Your suggestion wouldn't include this mdesc.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

And then some just wont make sense.
A pink, rhino shaped scar is on the bridge of this man's nose.

I'd go ooc and kill them in a bar if I saw that.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I'd go ooc and kill them in a bar if I saw that.

Twink!  :x

Just don't include them in your main desc.. simple as that.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Simpler still.  DO put them in your main desc.  If the coded scars don't include appropriate ones, that's where the scar belongs.

What I do is I describe any important scars in my mdesc, then I add appropriate ones to my character.  Example:  an "X" shape of scars on my forehead.  I add "a couple of crossed scars" or something, to my face.  Then you can see it as if it were equipment, but also there's a sentance dedicated to it in my mdesc.  

Custom scars could just get crazy out of hand. And, if you really desperately want a custom scar/tattoo, email the staff. ;)
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

I prefer mdesc scars, unless the scar is in some place that normally will not be visible.  Equipment lists are too long, a bunch scars just makes it even longer (especially odd location scars that usually are not covered by clothing).  Mdesc scars also allow you to have both scars and tattoos in the same general location.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Hexxaex"Should you add scars to your character if your description says you have them?

Not if you don't want to.  I was never a big fan of the whole tattoo/scar code.  I'm old school, I GENERALLY prefer using my main-description only.  Thankfully, you're quite welcome to follow whatever practice you please (i.e., scars in the mdesc only, coded, or both).