Mutter

Started by elvenchipmunk, January 08, 2005, 01:30:18 AM

With my current current character, I have been in several situations where my character, or another in the same room, has emoted muttering under their breath or something. What I was thinking is that: Wouldn't it be neat to actually have a 'mutter' command? This would allow to avoid using the 'say' command with an emote that says you're talking quietly, and it will avoid emoting muttering, which isn't good because you're not actually saying anything (for imms to hear and such). I thought this would be cool, what does the playerbase think?

Example: mutter (his voice low as he speaks, looking up at ~man with a glare) That stupid fuck, why'd he do that?

Something along those lines anyways.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Sure, why not. Whoot to insults behind people's backs.

em mutters under his breath, looking up at ~man with a glare

think That stupid fuck, why'd he do that?

It's as simple as that.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Yes, I realise you can do that. But -I- thought it would be neat to actually have a command for it. So you actually do mutter. Guess it doesn't matter though. Any other opinions? Or is it completely pointless?
-Winston Churchill

I like. And I think wether or not other people understand it should depend on how perceptive they are, and maybe if they have a decent listen. So, instead of it just being like say and sing, if you didn't catch what they said, it'd show up as..
His voice low as he glares up at ~man, <person> mutters something under his breath.
Of course, if it's understood, it'd show up just the same as a say, sing, or overheard whisper.

Or, they could always just enable 'whisper self' and maybe make it a bit easier to catch than whispering to another PC..
whisper me (Eyes narrowing on ~man as he mutters) Kankfecker...
Eyes narrowing on the purple man as he mutters, the rainbow man whispers something to himself (or under his breath, either or).
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: "Cuusardo"em mutters under his breath, looking up at ~man with a glare

think That stupid fuck, why'd he do that?

It's as simple as that.

True, but with think, nobody can hear what you're thinking (minus usage of loosetongue). When somebody mutters, it would be neat to actually -say- something instead of indirect emotes of what's being said.

Perhaps this would be useful if master-listeners could sometimes hear the mutter?

Maybe like a 'whisper self'  with some slightly easier detecebility.

:)

ahh..I'd say no way a rush.  but possibly cool.
Veteran Newbie

I love the idea - where "mutter" would be equal to whispering to yourself, so it could possibly be overheard, but might not be, depending on who's listening.

I think it's great, and agree with the "emote/think" combo being kinda lame. You're not THINKING about muttering. You really ARE muttering. And when you mutter in real life, there are words in those mutters, which are audible to anyone close enough to hear you.

I've used say with an emote to mutter, at times even muttering kinda nasty things about the people in the room, who of course could codewise hear it.  I'm happy to say my mutters have always been treated in a very IC manner, not getting me in any trouble with the person I was muttering about.  That said, a coded mutter -would- be nice, so the other chars have a chance to understand without feeling twinky.

I like this, as a "whisper self".  Kinda like the "think" and "dream" thing.

Kudos to the chipmunk.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I like it. No accidentally overhearing my "loyal" people degrading me and hearing it on accident, because I didn't read the emote.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Good idea.  It does not have a high priority but it is a neat idea.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I like the idea because it would allow people with 'listen' to hear it.

I also like the idea voiced later to have it simply be 'whisper me' instead of mutter.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Nice idea.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

OR, you could edit the 'whisper' command so you could "whisper self" and it could come out as a mutter.

So, " whisper self (looking at ~hot) Wow, nice ass. "

would look like "the horny figure with a raging boner mutters, looking at the hot, large breasted woman. "

And, for people who have a high enough listen check to hear it:

The horny figure with the raging boner mutters, looking at the hot, large breasted woman.
"Wow, nice ass."

It would be wicked sweet.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Ya, I wouldn't care if it was 'mutter' or 'whisper self'. Just so long as you can do some kind of a mutter.

Thanks to all those who agreed.
-Winston Churchill

Very innovative.  In my four years here I've only heard this suggested ONCE before.  And no, that ain't chopped liver.

But yeah, this is a touch I wouldn't mind seeing.
Back from a long retirement

I already answered this (reitterate, I like much), but I'm  just adding you ought to poll this for a move over-all feel for how many people like the idea.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted: