Kinda Uncool

Started by Sanvean, December 28, 2004, 03:47:47 PM

This is not an OOC concern.. When you find a PC that is not moving or doing anything IC then that character is deemed krath struck, a disease that many happen to get on Zalanthas. The question I ask is this.. If you were living on such a planet with the same conditions and you found someone Krath struck, would you kill them as well? Now some will say no because you think your half-decent but you would not be a half-decent person living under those conditions so the answer is ultimately yes. A person krath struck is easy prey and easy coin. Simply said.
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

I give this man much respect for this comment.

"Krath-struck" is a weak IC excuse to an OOC problem.  Killing people who are linkdead is completely an OOC concern.

Also if someone keeps going link-dead right before a fight I would wish up to the staff and complain about it.  If said person has a history of such bad behavior you might get a go-ahead to kill said PC.

It is no longer an OOC concern when it influences the IC world.

Then it becomes both.  And it must be balanced.  The grace period gives them time to come back from a temporary problem.  If they don't...you cannot be expected to act irrationally IC.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Weak or not, it is an IC excuse and perfectly useable.  :twisted:
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

If the player is linkdead, then the PC is not really there at all.  It's an illusion, a mirage.  The PC appears to exist at that point in space time, but it really doesn't.  It is a mindless zombie, not the droid you're looking for.

That is why ignoring them is not OOC.  They do not really exist, there is nothing there for you to ignore, much less kill.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

If I am raiding and they go Linkdead, I'll wait 5 minutes.
After that, unless I think it was on purpose, I will kill them.

If at all, I think they did it on purpose, I'll kill them.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Angela Christine"If the player is linkdead, then the PC is not really there at all.  It's an illusion, a mirage.  The PC appears to exist at that point in space time, but it really doesn't.  It is a mindless zombie, not the droid you're looking for.

That is why ignoring them is not OOC.  They do not really exist, there is nothing there for you to ignore, much less kill.

AC

If that is the case, how do you explain linkdead PCs being killed by NPCs of all sorts? Point made.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"If I am raiding and they go Linkdead, I'll wait 5 minutes.

What if the other player has a poor connection? What if their power went out? What if they don't have high-speed connection? What if there's some acceptable reason that disables them from reconnecting within five minutes? Bad luck? No. I call it not fair.

Killing link-dead pc's is uncool. It's weak and more so, it's pathetic.

Quote from: "Rhyden"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"If I am raiding and they go Linkdead, I'll wait 5 minutes.

What if the other player has a poor connection? What if their power went out? What if they don't have high-speed connection? What if there's some acceptable reason that disables them from reconnecting within five minutes? Bad luck? No. I call it not fair.

Killing link-dead pc's is uncool. It's weak and more so, it's pathetic.

Why are they out in the desert with said problems?

If they are Rp'ing back with me, even giving me and ooc to say brb, I'll give them more then 5 minutes, guarenteed. If they showed effort to roleplay with me like this, I will give it back.
On the other hand, I come into the guys screen and he runs 17 squares away, then I catch up to him, he flees, I assess him and he is exhausted, then suddenly he goes linkdead? If i think they were trying to log out, I'll give them a few minutes, if they just ditched me and "x"ed out so they could call the mud and say how unfare they lost their pc when their internet connection goes down, You are damn right I am going to kill him and send an email to the imms saying who, why, when, where.

I have tried to wait it out, seeing if they are link dead (I though wishing was evil if I didn't have a good excuse) about 30 minutes later, they reconnect, stand, log out. That pisses me off, and would make me stop playing this kick ass game. (even though I was slaughtered as I walked into the city after that by that templar,  whos aide I killed in the apartment. I Rp'ed with her an hour before I killed her, obviously going through stages of stupidity and wanting to change his mind, all the while she was locked in a room) So don't even think I wouldn't give up any of my pcs for a little bit of fun roleplaying.
(all except for them emoting killing me.)
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

That's not fair, 48-52, they can't ooc you if they go linkdead. It's unexpectable.

As for limits to where one can go due to technicalities is even more unfair. That's like saying one with these certain problems should be restricted to certain areas (ie. cities). That's absolutely unfair.

If you are chasing the player and they are absolutely exhausted then they go linkdead, I wouldn't really see much wrong with killing them there. As long as at least wait a little bit to see if they truly are cheating death. If you use proper role-playing, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. They are exhausted, therefore even if a warrior, wouldn't be using kick, bash or any other fighting skill. But I'd still check it out with the imms beforehand.

Limit them because of bad connection?
Did I say that?
I would tell them to not go into dangerous territory without a friend, or go when they have a better connection.
Or take a nights break.
Or Go with friends.

If you think you can successfully hunt/kill/travel/etc.. when you have a bad connection, Fled because I entered your screen, and you have made no attempt to roleplay, I will kill you.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"If you think you can successfully hunt/kill/travel/etc.. when you have a bad connection, Fled because I entered your screen, and you have made no attempt to roleplay, I will kill you.

See, I think that's appropriate.

As far as 'bad connections', I've had 1 internet connection problem in the last year with my current ISP.  It can happen to anyone, though, you don't have to have a bad connection.

I just can't, in good conscience, imagine killing a PC I happened upon by pure chance that was LD in the desert, even if it was an enemy, and I am further very surprised to see how so many people would.  Some 2 year old defiler deserves more than to be slowly arrowed to death while his or her player is on the phone with the ISP or the Electric Company going 'WTF'.

Yea, If I chanced upon a LD pc out in the wastes. Even if I hated them, I'd leave them alone.

Quote from: "xX_Cathedral_Xx"

If that is the case, how do you explain linkdead PCs being killed by NPCs of all sorts? Point made.

NPCs are a bunch of non-roleplaying twinks!  Have you ever seen how often some door guards spam Scan?  It's an outrage.  

Don't be an NPC.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

So the argument here is, even if it's totally like a raider out on a hunt and finding a merchant linkdead out in the deserts alone, totally IC to raid them, we should still leave LD pcs alone.

I'm not sure where I stand, I'm going to go with I will do what I think is appropriate for my pc. Since I went LD once when my whole block went without electricity for 2 hours [ I forgot there was a electric check] I can empathise with the situation.

Sanvean is pointing out it's cruel to target a newbie Pc who doesn't know how to log out in a tavern room, and instead went LD without the use of -quit-, for the sake of player rentention. I agree. I remember doing it once during the period when you get to play 5 pcs within the span of 2 weeks, it was pretty cruel, and he went to jail for it. But that was when I was new and ignorant.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

The point to Sanvean's post was that killing linkdead newbies is kinda uncool. This is not a policy change, suddenly protecting linkdead players from death. Your link is still your own problem.

I think that if a player is linkdead, and its appropriate for you to kill them, then feel free to do so. I'm inclined to follow something along the lines of what Armaddict posted: give people some leeway and time to respond - maybe even wish up, checking to see if the victim has a link - and then decide to attack them (or not). A point to raiders: there is always the 'mercy' command, and you can always leave linkdead players alive - if naked.

Some points to this:

1) Going around and wantonly killing only linkdead PCs is usually noticed, and noted on account notes and player info. This is thought of as Bad Form, and probably won't help the staff see you in a good light when considering karma, or special applications. This does not mean  you can't kill a linkdead PC. However, if you do find the need to do so, I suggest a) having a really good IC reason for it, and b) having no other alternative.

The rule of thumb I go by is this: A dead PC can't roleplay with anyone. I may have a better chance of killing a player when they're linkdead, but it would be infinately more fun to do it while they're awake and active. Besides, then you have the satisfaction of knowing that somewhere in the world, there is a dumbfounded player, staring at a Mantis head and cursing. But...maybe thats just the bastard in me, wanting to get out.  :twisted:

2) If you're going to kill a Linkdead PC, you are still expected to roleplay. This includes emotes, and thinks which tell the staff what you're doing. Incidentally: it probably isn't a good idea to make up cheesy  "IC" justifications for killing LD PCs. Making a character who goes berserk when people don't respond to him in the desert, or believes that being 'Sun-Struck' or catatonic is a terminable offense not only smells of limberger, but does a good job firmly sloting you in the 'powergamer' category.

3) Going around and wantonly killing only linkdead Newbies is thought of as really Bad Form, a form of twinking, and is seriously frowned upon. This might come as a surprise to people, but some Newbies can't figure out how to quit from the game - so, if you see someone who is obviously new, please be at least polite, and pick on someone your own size.

4) Dropping link to try and get out of being killed is also thought of as Bad Form. You get whatever comes to you if you try this, and don't expect any sympathy from the Staff if you die while Linkdead. This goes for accidental loss-of-link, and generaly covers router issues, or other link Nastyness that can happen along the way. Harsh? Maybe.

Welcome to Armageddon.
Tlaloc
Legend

*Sniff, Tlaloc, that brough a tear to my eye man.  :cry:

Nicely put Tlaloc...

I remember... back with my first char, the -only- time I killed a linkie was for a good cause.. at that.. he was a karma player.

I sneak in, attack him -with the help of some friends- and a few seconds after I'm knocking the crap out of him he loses link... like I'm going to flee.. he did it on purpose.. so I let him have it.

But I'm wandering with my ranger or rogue magicker or something and see some obvious newb sitting there with all his 'sids linkdead.. no way in heck I'm messing with him, I'll throw in some emotes, says, thinks, and if he doesn't respond, I move on.. see?

Now the fact that they're running from you and you catch up with them, and poof.. someone loses his or her link.. yeah, that's definently grounds to PK them.

But I agree with whoever said it, I think it'd be nice to see more 'raiding' and less 'killing' I mean, crap take all of their 'sid, leave'm naked and sit back and laugh when you see them walk into that tavern, naked.. Imagine the humor.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Err.. I'm used to reporting the linkdead people with a wish. I believe the imms don't have to check all the linkdead players, but it'd be OK to report them there's someone in a safe place, probably just lost his link hours ago and trying to log back in madly.
All I usually do is "wish all Excuse me.. <bla> is linkdead at <bla>." then going away like that PC was never there.. Shall I keep on this behaviour?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

-nods- I'll do that too ocasionally if they look like someone other than a total newbie.

If I see a newbie in this one place where everybody can see, I'll usually Idea it that they've been there a while so I dont use up the staff's time..

Idea: Newbie so and so has been here for a while, might want to check up on it..

Sometimes I add sarcasm to make things flow :P
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Cenghiz, my raider kind char left at least 5 linkdead like that. I had started get tired of the situation. But, luckly I am dead.
I never killed a linkdead, or steal something from them. I simply reported them like you did. You are doing best , so do I  :)
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Okay, so wasn't there a thread where killing/not killing people was debated not too long ago?

Someone going linkdead is there problem.  I will avoid killing them if I have a reason to do so IG...however, there are times that it is very un-IC to leave the person alone, and in those situations, I will not hesitate to try to kill the person.

Killing a linkdead newbie?  Well, that's pretty self-explanatory to me.  A newbie hasn't done anything that would give my character a reason to kill him/her.  They're safe.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

QuoteA newbie hasn't done anything that would give my character a reason to kill him/her.

Unless this newbie has just failed to steal something from an NPC, has been warranted, went linkdead, and you are the militia personnel chasing him.... and failing to subdue. AHA! There's a perfectly logical and IC reason.

Sa'alam,

Dirr

That was random....

I think I'll post my opinion on this.

1.)  If someone is HABITUAL about mysteriously going link-dead after fleeing (which is stupid anyhow - they should know that doesn't suck their body out of the game world) or doing something stupid, okay, I would probably mention it to an IMM, and let them decide what to do with the twink.

2.)  If they went link-dead in the middle of a scene that wasn't going well for them, I'd RP them escaping and wish up to have them logged out.  We are playing a -social- game, not a MUD driven on the purpose of PKing.  Why hurt the experience of other players because you want to be selfish?  Is that not a contributing factor to MUD-wide decline?

3.)  If I chance on someone LD, see above.   You wouldn't spam-pilfer from NPCs, don't do it to LD PCs.

I actually prefer getting desert-PCs logged out rather than "leaving" them alone.  The reason is if you leave them, and an animal comes along and kills them, then nobody benefits.  The player STILL comes back to a dead character, because his fellow players couldn't look out for him for the sake of sportsmanship.

kill people is bad unless your territorial tribal, rinther or just plain desperate for food/ water, but killing just for the sake it is easy and he has stuff you like i disagree with
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com