Re: Nidhogg from Ask the Staff

Started by xX_Cathedral_Xx, December 22, 2004, 03:18:19 AM

I don't believe the Staff is being insinuated as "all beings evil". I also have to agree with the original poster on this entire issue, not because I play one of these characters but because there is honestly nothing to email the Staff about. Like he has stated, we have started a small family among a tribe that has under a few hundred people in its entire population. We have no specific goal or anything that we need from the Staff so I honestly do not see the curteosy of bothering you people with the information. We're not trying to hide anything or trying to do something against the documentation and rules of ArmageddonMUD. We agreed together that once our characters have a few days playtime on them that we would inform the Staff as to who we are and the like. The reasoning for this is again, to not waste Staff time because we may die within the next hour or two, you know? I can understand the poster's feelings against Staff because there are things that happen within the game that seem completely unrealistic and mind jarring usually leaving the player feeling cheated or slighted. Most cases of these type of complaints could be generaly summed up as being non-sense but there are a few cases in which, in my opinion, the player does get slighted unrealistically. There have been some events in the past that I could example to you, but its over and done with so I don't believe there is any reason to dwell on it. Ever since the first post about this entire thing there has been nothing but commands, insults and flames being thrown around quite carelessly about something that I believe is very low on the ranking poll of things to bitch about. Approval of various Staff members has already been given and Sanvean herself knows of our little family so I honestly don't think I need to explain any further why everyone should just get off our backs and mind their business. (Respectfully)
We shall step up preparations for possible military struggle and enhance our capabilities to cope with crises, safeguard peace, prevent wars and win the wars if any," Hu

I give this man much respect for this comment.

Given that the family in question has already emailed the MUD, I have only a few responses:

a) it's never a bad thing to let the MUD know what you're doing.  In most cases, it'll be a case of "what up with these guys?" replied to by "oh, they're xyz doing abc" which is generally met by the response of "oh, cool" instead of "hey, let's go kill them".  Either way, it's never a bother to us if you cc MUD.

b) it's okay if you have some grand plan which is ruined by whoever dying/retiring.  Maybe we can come up with some suggestions to make your idea fly anyway.  Maybe not.  Either way we like to know what's going on.

c) I really wish that players could respond more freely to these types of threads, without divulging IC info.  Then you might see a chorus of people saying "oh, I plotted against my clan for months and even though I told my imms, I was never detected ICly," or "yeah, making a new family/clan is hard...I had my challenges but it was fun"...that sort of thing.

d) If you're not involved in the situation in question, and fully in privy to the details, don't wory about it.  We're always watching.

*tries to balance an evil laugh with a cheerful, open demeanor*
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I really don't understand all those flaming and conflicts. If staff knows the details about your family, they can create challanges to make it fun for you.  Those challanges are not there to frustrate you. In addition, you need Karma for further choices, so if they know what you are doing, they can appreciate it better. At the end, it is beneficial for you. All chars die, but the important thing is how they die. Do you prefer to die to a gith, or to a pack of organized giths which are let's say your enemy group in game? I prefer the second. Staff can create plots for you, help you in your own plots. I will give an example. Staff may organize something, so one of your family member may be killed. Is it bad? No! It will create an opportunity to the rest of your family member to take revenge. You will do plans, and rp it. Isn't it joyful?

Forget all, it -is- their game. If they want to know, you have to inform them.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

If you have to keep something from the staff in order to do it, you are breaking the rules.

Quote from: "xX_Cathedral_Xx"Like he has stated, we have started a small family among a tribe that has under a few hundred people in its entire population.

If you already got approval about that, then great.  Why bother bringing the whole issue up about "approval" when you already got it?  I don't get it.  But yes, anything like this DOES require staff approval.  To say you have a character who has a brother and you guys hang out.. fine.  No need to ask approval (although, running it by someone isn't harmful).  To say you have this tribe of a few hundred people?  Nope, sorry, you have to have approval for that.  How do we know you're not going to try and pull something one day "But I've been playing that I have a clan of a few hundred who obey me, NOW CODE THEM UP SO I CAN ATTACK KURAC".  Think that's silly?  It's happened.  A "few hundred" people can dramatically change the landscape if they set their mind to it, and since we run the game, you have to ask for approval.

Quote from: "xX_Cathedral_Xx"
everyone should just get off our backs and mind their business. (Respectfully)

Again, this is the game we staff run, so if it happens within the game it is our business.  Telling a staff member to butt out is like telling the DM to piss off when he asks you what your character is up to.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev