Nice, but not worth it
20 (42.6%)
Don't care either way
7 (14.9%)
Bad idea and a waste of time
13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: December 13, 2004, 05:33:59 PM

Is th is a good idea, or a useless one? Or a good and useless one? Being able to take pairs.. A pair of gloves, a pair of shoes, a pair of armbands, etc, and possibly asking to have it coded to be able to split them into singular items. Or taking a pair of identacle items and putting them together again. The idea behind this is.. Say you have a one legged or one armed PC. Missing one, it'd still show them as wearing a pair of boots or gloves, etc etc. So, you buy a pair, split them maybe using the 'craft' command..
Craft gloves
You could make two leather gloves from this
Craft gloves into two leather gloves.

Then, turn around and sell the unneeded glove for half the price you'd get for the pair.

Or, possibly taking a pair of singularly bought items and putting them together just to cut down on some clutter of the items you see when you look at someone. A bracer, an earring, etc. So:
Craft bracer bracer
You can make a pair of neon pink leather bracers from this.

It'd also let people mismatch items for even more varied clothing options.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Sounds pretty cool to me, I'd go with it.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

A vote for the third option is a vote for apathy!
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I dunno...maybe.  I mean, what happens when someone with two hands tries to put one glove on?  The code does not currently account for invidiual appendages when a typical humanoid has two (feet, legs, forearms, ears, eyes, etc).

Then again, we can wear something on each wrist.  Is it maybe time to split up the rest?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

It is ok, except for this bit:
Quote from: "InsertCleverNameHere"
Then, turn around and sell the unneeded glove for half the price you'd get for the pair.

A single glove is not worth half as much as a pair, maybe 30% as much.  A matched set is worth more than two un-matched gloves.

There could also be a problem with combat, so the combat code might need to be adjusted.  Armour takes dammage, and sometimes you get a message about a bit of armor deflecting a blow.  If you are going to wear two gloves instead of one pair of gloves, then hands would have to be split into left hand and right hand, because the two gloves might not have the same armour value.  This might be trivial to code, or it might be very difficult.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Tamarin"The code does not currently account for invidiual appendages when a typical humanoid has two (feet, legs, forearms, ears, eyes, etc).

Then again, we can wear something on each wrist.  Is it maybe time to split up the rest?

Mostly, though it does account for individual ears, and earrings are sold individually. And eyes have in the scar section, an empty left eye-socket, and right. And there are eye-patches, which I assume you can pick which eye to wear it over to cover that ugly hole in the face.

And as far as the armors having differen values, I don't -think- (don't know, I'm not a coder and know jack about that technical stuff, just speculating based on observation) that it would be too much of a stretch, seeing as we're able to wear separate wristbands, it's the same thing, just a different location. *shrug* Concerning the price of split things, that was just a suggestion, not something I really concidered much. AC's probably right about it being worth less than a set.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: "InsertCleverNameHere"And eyes have in the scar section, an empty left eye-socket, and right. And there are eye-patches, which I assume you can pick which eye to wear it over to cover that ugly hole in the face.
These are in fact face-slot.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Learn something new every day.  :wink:

I voted no on this, personally I don't think it would contribute that much to the RP or anything else of that nature.

It could be possible to code items like, A single leather glove, and just wear them in a way that would allow them to take up the 'worn on hands' slot. Just give them a lower armor value or something like that, maybe allow the item to be craftable in combination with any single glove of the same type to make it into a pair. **shrugs** In my opinion it doesn't contribute enough to the world.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

While I think it would be cool to wear one glove perhaps, I don't like the inevitable "sock-drawer" problems that would appear in shops. Finding two gloves that have the same short description, main description and stats (size, etc) would cause much smacking of the computer.

Also, I hate the itty-bittyness of things like this in the code. eg.

"Hmm, I think I'll remove my gloves and split them into a pair" *type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type typetype type type type type type type type type type type type*.......
"Oh bollocks, I got RSI. There goes my Mudding career."

Let's see it. The more detail we have, short of killing playability, the better.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I don't think 'splitting pairs' will add anything to the game besides novelty when it first comes out.