Started by My 2 sids, December 13, 2004, 01:01:39 PM

Good?

Love it!
27 (77.1%)
Hate it!
8 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: December 13, 2004, 01:01:39 PM

I have here a page that you can leave open during play for quick and easy reference.  What key information would you all add?  Opinions?

Syntax additions
Emote        Pemote (adds 's to your ldesc)    
** Can use @ to place your description elsewhere in the sentence
   emote With eyes closed tightly, @ yawns and stretches.
   With eyes closed tightly, the small, freckled girl yawns and stretches
~   = gives the full ldec of the person or item
%  = possessive ('s)  
!    = him/ her
^   = his/her
#   = he/she

Movement commands
Walk                             Run                          Sneak
Follow                        Shadow
North                            South                           East                        West
Up                                 Down
Enter (building)             Exit (building)
Mount                       Unhitch (person/animal)        hitch (person/animal)
Sit                                  Stand                         Sit with/ sit at  <table #/ person>
Take <item>                Take <item> <container>           Steal
Rest                              Sleep                          Wake

Communication Commands
Say      Talk (when at a table)       Whisper        Shout         Sing       Think
**  All can be combided with an emote by using >say (looking at the doorway)
**  All can be used to address someone by using > whisper Kimi
Contact     Psi        Break        Barrier
Offer <item>     Offer <suggested haggle price> <item>       Barter (buys the item)    
View <item>       Buy <item>
OOC     Wish      

Other Commands
Change ldesc  <addition> =  changes "is standing here" to what you wish to put
   change ldesc glancing about
   The small, freckled girl is here, glancing about
Change Objective =  one line of communication staff can read; useful when waiting for  
                                 Help
Drop <addition>   =  changes the ldesc of an item
Knock         Open       Close        
Score         Stat            Skills
Assess     Assess -v

EZ reference guide

Places:
Allnak – Southern City, Spice is illegal
Rinith/Labrinth – Poorest section of Allnak, usually feared and most people won't even
                            travel inside
Tuluk – Northern City
Red Storm – Far Southern City, known for bandits, rough types, and storms
Luirs – Trading post owned by Merchant House Kurac  

Houses:
Nak Nobility (in order of greatness)  ** Bow   and   address as Templar, Lord, or Lady
Borsail – Slaving house, colors: crimson and black, Wyverns
Oash – Merchant/ Magickers/ Mischief, colors: azure and black, Dragon and Five Coins
Tor – Military/ Academy, colors: red and silver, Scorpions

Tuluk Nobility (in order of greatness)  ** Bow of head   and address as Faithful, Chosen
Tenneshi – City planning, colors: silver and black, two palms cupped around a sun
Winrothol – Military/ slaves, colors: jade and silver, kenku warrior

Merchant Houses  ** Very wealthy and powerful Commoners   Address as Sir/Miss
Kadius – luxury/clothing/etc
Kurac – Spice/desert items
Nenyuk – Bank/apartments
Salarr – weapons

Time:
** One RL day is usually refered to as an IC week
** One RL week is usually refered to as an IC month
10 RL min = ~ 1 IC hour
1 RL week = ~ half IC month
1 RL month = ~ 2 IC months
Days of the week:  Ocandra, Terrin, Abid, Cingel, Nekrete, Waleuk, Yochem, Huegel,
                              Dzeda, Barani, Dental
Months of the year:  Descending Sun, Low Sun, Ascending Sun

Distance
Inches, cords (about 15 inches), miles, and leagues (about 3 miles)

Mass
Stone (about a kilogram), five-stone, ten-stone, hundread-stone

Volume
Eight skins = 1 gallon
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Very cool.  *thumbs up*

Needs races too. And Salarr does armor.

Add: 'palm' 'slip' 'put' 'get' with the 'take' and 'steal' options for manipulation of objects.

Correction: change ldesc is here, glancing about.
(The 'is here,' is not automatically added, and you do need to include the period.)

Add: drop (item) Buried in some dirt, ~ is here.
Add: Buried in some dirt, (item's sdesc) is here.

Correction: Salarr - Armor and Weapons

Correction: One RL week is referred to as a 1/2 month IG.

Correction: Days of the week: Ocandra, Terrin, Abid, Cingel, Nekrete, Waleuk, Yochem, Huegel, Dzeda, Barani, Detal
(You spelled Detal incorrectly)

Correction: One cord = fifteen inches
Correction: One stone = one kilogram
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Tuluk = Northern city, magick is illegal

In Allanak you address them as Lord Templar or Lady Templar, not just Templar.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Illiteracy is the norm. You have not attended school.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

Love the idea of a cheat sheet reference guide. Needs a bit of work.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I thought a cord was 18 inches?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

How to get a mount out of a stable with a ticket, then how to put it back in.
I always get lost on that.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"How to get a mount out of a stable with a ticket, then how to put it back in. I always get lost on that.

I don't feel that is necessary.  There's a clearly labeled sign in the stable.  You can't miss it.

Yea. I can.
that sign isn't in every stable.
And Who needs to know movement commands?
Add or be an ass. Either way. I'm saying what I think.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

2 sids, this looks absolutely amazing. I'm just jealous I didn't have this when I was a noob!  :wink:

I actually made a little 2page list which explained some of the more simplistic coding in the game. It also had the 'what you would know' for starting out in each location along with some racial slurs, local slang and common beleifs. Every time I got someone into the game I'd E-mail the helpfile to them. I wouldn't mind seeing a universal sheet like this made and added onto the homepage for the newbies to download and whatnot.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

The instructions on what to do when you get into a clan would be good.
The OOC aspect :email what, who, how, where,when.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

Quote from: "SewerRat_inTheOpen"The instructions on what to do when you get into a clan would be good.
That changes from clan to clan.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Sweet, but you should format it like Moab's:

http://www.killergoldfish.com/arm/
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I would also plug my own, the link is at the bottom of my sig and it has been archived in the appropriate forum.

Let me know where you see needed improvements.

:-D
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Add a link to the helpers page and explain what the helpers page is for.  I give it to players when they first start, but I suspect they don't realize what benefits that has.

It would also be nice if there was a mention saying they can buy clothes at stores, because we sometimes get new players who don't understand that they can buy clothes in-game, and write it into their mdesc.  I don't think we should give directions to every location in every city/town.  Perhaps list the different help maps so people can try figure out generally where they are.  Ie, type help northlands to see a map of Tuluk.

I still say the maps aren't much good until they're updated. Utterly useless if one is brand new to the game, shows up in Tuluk, and attempts to make a bee-line to the shops in the vineyard. Or if someone shows up in Allanak and looks for where the majority of people hang out, since the Barrel isn't even on the map.

Tuluki map was updated recently with pertinent information.  
Check it out sometimes.

Looking at Nak's, I don't think it'd be too difficult to add a legend marker for Bard's Barrel

I just did check it out. In the game, I typed

help map_northlands

And it hasn't changed.

Quote5 - The Vineyard, which contains a number of buildings in addition to
    its winery and fields. A Nenyuk bank is here, as well as a
    mountseller, the Northlands Fletcher, a supply shop, the
    Blue Chalice Gamehouse, and several other shops.

also

Quote3 - The Sun King's Sanctuary, an inn which contains provisions,
    accomodations, spice, and other entertainment.  Beside it is
    a stable.  New players start just outside of this inn.

New players don't start just outside of this inn. They start out upstairs inside it. As for accommodations, that is a bit vague - if I was brand new to the game I might get the impression that I could rent a room for an indefinite period of time, a safe place where I could keep my belongings. Because I'd have nothing to compare that to other than real life, or other games, and in both, "accommodations" usually means a private room in a hotel for yourself where you can unpack your bags and leave the room, and when you return, your things are still there - because it's assigned specifically to you.

Regarding provisions, the only "provisions" they provide is a limited menu of food and drink. You can't buy a water-skin there, or a pack, or a rudimentary weapon, or even a cloak to cover you during the storms. These are the kinds of "provisions" I believe new players will be looking for upon entering the game.

Quote from: "Xamminy"
Quote from: "SewerRat_inTheOpen"The instructions on what to do when you get into a clan would be good.
That changes from clan to clan.

I know it does, person with wacky signature. :D
I mean the info required, which almost usually stays the same.
Like Account name, IG name/description, GDB handle, Initiator/description..etc
But if it's still different with all the clans, then I apologise for this, since I have limited experience with clans.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

I suppose, the type of information is always the same...

Account name, character name, GDB name (to be added to the clan's GDB forum), name of person hiring, time/date of hire (IG & OOC including time zone), request for clan documentation access.  These should all be sent to the clan immortals for the clan being hired into.
-X-_

Useful bump for anyone new who hasn't seen it.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted: