Half-elfs

Started by Spud, December 12, 2004, 09:57:43 PM

Where's all the hate for half-breeds? With the increase in people playing them, no one is hating them. Aren't they supposed to be dirty and hated by most? I don't see anyone turning away and not speaking to them, or spitting as they see them, it's just oh hello. Has the dreaded occured and they have become equal?
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

If all the PCs are half-elves, and you hate half-elves, therefore you hate all the PCs.
Which means you'll be knifed sooner than later.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Yup...or you become a little bitch who keeps his mouth shut...rattling off thinks and dirty looks in their presence.

Then explodes about them around roundears or real elves.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Spud"Where's all the hate for half-breeds? With the increase in people playing them, no one is hating them. Aren't they supposed to be dirty and hated by most?

No.  I just got done reading the half-elven roleplay documentation.  Strangely, it fails to mention anywhere that the majority of all people hate half-elves.
Back from a long retirement

This is straight from the help file 'half_elf'

Accepted by neither humans nor elves, half-elves tend to be extremely
  self-reliant, and they pride themselves on this trait. Half-elves try to
  do everything for themselves, such as hunting for their own meals and
  camping well apart from others they are with. Despite this, half-elves
  typically try to gain acceptance by elves or humans and will go out of
  their way toward that end.
In many ways, half-elves are on a continual
  journey to establish their personal identity.
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

Okay.

As I was saying, it says nowhere in the half-elven roleplay documentation that most people hate elves.  Maybe it says this somewhere else, but I doubt it.
Back from a long retirement

I think not interacting with a PC because of their race is a pretty shite way to be racist.

A lot of people just lack subtlety. They either ignore you or type "hit half-elf".

I didn't mean not interacting with them completely, I meant rp hating them (not speaking to them, etc).
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

There is a difference between hating someone and not accepting them.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

To elaborate a bit on what Xamminy said, it is one thing to actively hate someone and quite another to socially reject them.  Some people might hate half-elves, but they're far more likely to be met with apathy and indifference.  To illustrate the difference, let's say that you're at a tavern, sitting at the bar, having a general conversation.  A couple of humans, a dwarf, and a half-elf are present.

Met with hatred example:
Every time the half-elf speaks up or attempts to contribute to the conversation, someone responds by cursing at him.

Socially rejected example:
Every time the half-elf speaks up or attempts to contribute, someone gives him a funny look.  The other inhabitants of the bar continue their conversation, maybe incorporating some of the half-elf's contributions, but mostly continuing as if the half-elf never said anything at all.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

If all the world is a soccer game, the half-elfs just aren't allowed to play.  They are sometimes, grudgingly, permitted to fetch the ball if it goes out of bounds, though.  

All of Zalanthas is a tuxedo, and half-elfs are a pair of shabby brown shoes.

Seeker

(editted to dilute boo-boos)
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Think about it this way:  Who hires halfbreeds?  Who feels sorry for a halfbreed that can't get a job?

Very few people at all.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Imagine that you have an annoying little brother, a real twerp, and he follows you and your friends around wherever you go.  Do you want to let him join in your reindeer games?  Of course not.  You certainly don't want to have him on your team.  But chances are that you don't actually intend to kill him either.  You and your friends don't accept him, but you have to put up with him to some extent.

Halfbreeds are like Humanity's annoying, needy little brother.

Some people will hate them, but most just treat them like dirt.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Half-breeds are hardly comparable to little brothers. It's completely different. First, because this is arm not RL. Second, if anyone wanted to they could kill a half-breed.

Tell that to your templar without a decent bribe.

Tell that to the few organizations that have half-elven PCs and NPCs who hold fairly respectable rank.

Don't take it too literally, Spud. AC isn't say that everyone is related to half-elves, but I think it's quite a good metaphor on how to treat them.

It's not an all out war between the civilised races of Zalanthas. They live side by side. Would this work if all sides thought it was ok to murder each other whenever they feel like it?

Think prejudice, not hatred.

I believe the correct grammar is half-elves, not elfs.  :wink:

I think all of this takes the backseat to people socially accepting a magiker every time they walk into a bar. I know some people still reject and fear magikers, but for the most part the game world is like 'Hey, what element are you buddy?' and that drives me crazy. I have had plenty of half-elves killed for just being a half-elf. But I have never had a magiker of mine killed or even given a bad look for being a magiker.
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

Quote from: "WhiteRanger"But I have never had a magiker of mine killed or even given a bad look for being a magiker.

I wouldn't give a magicker a bad look.

There's that elf, let's get him.

vs.

There's that magicker, holy shit let's get out of here.

Yeah, people don't have the same contempt for magickers that they have for half-elves.  Half-elves are worthless scum, but magickers are powerful demons.  You can kick dirt in the face of worthless scum, but you so much as breath wrong around a powerful demon, and who knows what will happen to you?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!