Everyday elves.

Started by Spoon, December 11, 2004, 10:27:21 AM

Yep, elves are bastards. Everyone knows it. I think it is because of their completely alien set of morals why they are so disliked.

One of my favourite things in Armageddon is the speciesism (how the hell do you spell that?) that is forced upon players. However, I do sometimes think people might be getting it a little wrong.

Mainly because elves are common. They're not mutants, they're not magickers. They're everywhere. On your streets, in your shops, in your taverns. The documents state that they make up nearly half of the civilised population of Zalanthas, yet some poeple still act as if someones thrown a nazi in a synagogue whenever one enters a room.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to get at, because I'd much rather people overreacted than not at all. It's just when I see people flip over an elf and then go chat to their magicker chum, I feel something is a little out of place. Just a thought.

There are a bunch of 'em, but I think it is a mistake to think that they are everywhere.  In -your- tavern... in -your- shop.  That is far less likely to be true.

Filthy nekkers have their own parts of town, and their own places to be with their own.  The less mixing of the species, the better.  

Some taverns and some parts of town are so degraded that their kind is a seen regularly there, but if you want a place with some class, refinement, or some sense of security, the first thing to do is to clean out the scum, and keep them out.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Yeah....

I knew someone would post and change my mind.

Still, it naffs me off a bit how nice people are to some magickers. Elves are a pest, and though they can be life-threatening, I'd personally be more afraid of a magicker. Perhaps some people might envy a magicker's power, which could breed a suprising amount of hate.

Oh, and I'm talking about human magickers, because I've never seen any other. Damn my off-peakishness.

Quote from: "Spoon"I think it is because of their completely alien set of morals why they are so disliked.

Actually elven understanding of etiquette is not totally alien, just simply not western.  There are some societies who would define thievery close to courage and talent like elven understanding.(I would like to give some examples but that's a long story..)

On the other hand, the cities are mostly designed for the humans and so the taverns. The hatred aganist elves is understandable since all the elites of the cities are Human. In other words, IMO if elves would manage to create large cities like Tuluk and Allanak, the story would be probably exactly opposite.

Heh, also I hear elven tribals attacking every non-elf entering their territory. Sounds worse than elf harrasing in taverns to me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: "Gaare"In other words, IMO if elves would manage to create large cities like Tuluk and Allanak, the story would be probably exactly opposite.

Heh, when I speculate (wildly)  about Zalanthas, my view is that elves seem to be on the evolutionary upswing, and will probably eventually dominate the known world.  I'm thinking about once when I heard someone describing elves as cockroaches, or how humans see them as savage animals who can somehow survive in the desert.  So I envision that elves, being better able to survive the harsh climate, while humans mostly depend on cities, will eventually dominate.  I doubt they would build large cities, though, because of their tribal nature.

Quote from: "Gaare"Heh, also I hear elven tribals attacking every non-elf entering their territory. Sounds worse than elf harrasing in taverns to me.

Hey, I wasn't saying it's wrong to harass elves. Of course your meant to harass elves, it's pretty much their sole purpose, other than to walk off with things they don't own.

I'm just saying that I think some people percieve them as something abnormal in Zalanthas, when they are, in fact, common.

So, that bit about desert elves is pretty irrelevant. I don't mean this in an arseholeish way, as I believe you've just misinterpreted what I'm saying. I just need to make the point that I'm not saying.

"Hey everyone, my elf was harassed, so you should change the entire background ethics of the game to fit my whim."

Also, I'm pretty sure stealing is criminal in places outside of western society...

And so it is in Allanak and Tuluk.

Quote from: "joyofdiscord"
Quote from: "Gaare"In other words, IMO if elves would manage to create large cities like Tuluk and Allanak, the story would be probably exactly opposite.

Heh, when I speculate (wildly)  about Zalanthas, my view is that elves seem to be on the evolutionary upswing, and will probably eventually dominate the known world.  I'm thinking about once when I heard someone describing elves as cockroaches, or how humans see them as savage animals who can somehow survive in the desert.  So I envision that elves, being better able to survive the harsh climate, while humans mostly depend on cities, will eventually dominate.  I doubt they would build large cities, though, because of their tribal nature.

Lets do it.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Spoon"I'm just saying that I think some people percieve them as something abnormal in Zalanthas, when they are, in fact, common.

So, that bit about desert elves is pretty irrelevant. I don't mean this in an arseholeish way, as I believe you've just misinterpreted what I'm saying. I just need to make the point that I'm not saying.

"Hey everyone, my elf was harassed, so you should change the entire background ethics of the game to fit my whim."

Elves are not the lowest rank of the society, probably they should be more accepted than gemmer in many places. Did I sound aganist this in my previos post? If so, I did not mean to.

Quote from: "Spoon"Also, I'm pretty sure stealing is criminal in places outside of western society... And so it is in Allanak and Tuluk.

In 21st century, you are almost correct (Damm globalization), but... the defination of stealing and crime may differ.

I PMed a stange incident I experienced in an Adige (A large society were originally living in northeastern BlackSea) wedding ceremony just a couple of years ago. Also, in that beatiful culture, in old beatiful times, if a couple wants to marry, the man had to do something show he is talented and skillful.  Most used way to convience the lady's father to accept the wedding is stealing that family's best horse. Also I must add they are very proud people, and honor has a very important role in their rich culture.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Spoon,

I'll take that under advisement when playing humans around elves.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin