Re: Website

Started by Anonymous, December 10, 2004, 06:55:05 PM

Quote from: "Empress"I still think a drawing of the known would would be nice to showcase, like they do at the beginning of lots of fantasy books.

Home / General Information / Geography

http://www.armageddon.org/general/geo.html

If you want to comment on someone else's post, give them feedback, etc, put it here, if you would, so the original thread can stay on topic.  Thanks!

Removed.  I'm stupid and didn't fully explore the website.  My problem has been solved.

Ok, a few responces have talked about making the docs more organized.  How does everyone feel they should be more organized?

Personally, I'd start with the opening page.  I'd try to cut down on the number of links to Introduction/ Character creation, Player information, GDB, Web Client, Bookstore, and help files.  To me the opening page shouldn't give information as it should welcome and draw people in, making them want to continue reading.

Introduction/ Character creation:  This section might be set up by combining Quick start and our current introduction.  Providing basic information and then going through the character creation process, it should be an easy way for someone to be able to create a functional character.  Links would include:  
Rules:  rules of the game, understanding OOC knowledge and appropriate usage, and
helper contacts page
What you know section:  docs on cities, basic run down of status, and house colors/names/etc
Race information:  I think for new players simply including basic introductory information on karma-based races (including magickers) should be enough information to read about; they don't have to know all the details as they can't play them anyway
What to expect section:  Things like logs, Thieves' bible, how to go about finding employment, etc.  Things so when they make their character, they'll have some ideas of what to do.
How to create:  this is where our current introduction section would shine because the new player would understand that it lines up exactly with the actual process they'll be submitting.

Player information link can open up to much more of our documentation.  By not scaring away new players with loads of information, they'll be open to wanting to continue to understand how to improve role play and game experience.  Here is where we can have all the magicker info, helpfiles, how to play.... X, and all the other important docs.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Has anyone thought about building a character creation system that uses the website and html and whatnot, instead of having to log into the game?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"Has anyone thought about building a character creation system that uses the website and html and whatnot, instead of having to log into the game?

This is an interesting idea.  You mean like simply emailing characters in or something?  Perhaps a board set up where only staff can read?

I could see that cutting down a lot on the frustration aspects of lines going on too long, forgetting to log off, or general misunderstanding of instructions (like knowing "how do you wish to be hailed?" is really for your character's name)

Kutos to Tamarin!
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

QuoteHas anyone thought about building a character creation system that uses the website and html and whatnot, instead of having to log into the game?

Yes, we've talked about it and would like to do it at some point.