Clothing - is it diverse enough?

Started by John, November 23, 2004, 05:41:18 PM

Anonymous, I'm simply agreeing with Vanth, but the halter was just an example, I see it was a bad one now. Oh, and next time, actually reveal yourself when you make an accusation, or else arguing is no fun.  :twisted:

QuoteA man walks into a room with a blue sweater on. Blue cotton, no logos, wording, tags nadda. Do you know where he bought that sweater, or even more where he comes from? NO!!!
Why would it be any different in the game "With very general clothing"???

Logos? Wording? Tag? What about designs? Have you ever traveled to another part of the world? Sure, some types of clothing may seem ambiguous, while others -literally- scream at you, "I AM FROM ALLANAK, STUPID!" If you actually bothered to read the previous posts, you'd notice that they provide information on basic designs unique to city-states, gypsies, etc. YES! Even a VERY simple red cotton/sandcloth shirt could be assigned its origin just by examining it.

QuoteOh, and next time, actually reveal yourself when you make an accusation, or else arguing is no fun.

1. I wasn't arguing nor accusing.
2. I was inquiring.
3. There's nothing to argue when you lack knowledge on the subject.

I suggest reading the help-files.

Sa'alam,

Dirr

Alright, Anonymous, had you bothered reading -my- post, you'd realize there is potential for an arguement here. There is no design, remember, this is a perfectly normaly weaved, blue sweater. There's absolutely no way of telling where it was made as it was hand-made like all other clothing in Zalanthas (I should hope). Now, rather than accusing me of not reading this thread again, think real long and real hard about what this looks like: Two sweaters, both blue, both from two sides of the world. Completely identical, but not made by the same person nor the in the same origin. How do you tell where it's made? You can't. Exactly like in Armageddon. If you have a simple, sandcloth shirt, it could have been made in Tuluk, it could have been made in Luirs, it could have been made in Allanak. Where it was made? You can't tell, bud. Cause it looks the same as any other. -MAYBE- you or another's character could tell by the way the sandcloth is weaved, or hemmed...but is this realistic? No! There you go, Anonymous. Read it over again if you're confused.

Go Rhyden...he does have a good point there. (Oh, this is another anonymous kank :) not the one arguing with Rhyden)

Two of the same -exact- "handmade" sweaters? Is there such a thing as exact, handmade items made by different people in a setting like this?

As Dirr was saying (Do you log in anymore, dirr?) Northern people make items with northern desgins, or hey, you know what? They copied or "ripped off" the southern design.
Who cares where its made? If it looks Allanaki, it's probably made in Allanak, if it looks Tuluki, it's probably made in Tuluk.

Sorry If I sound rude. But you two were arguing different points.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Here's my summarized point without all my stupid other-added crap:

-One in Zalanthas would find it very difficult to distinguish between two articles of similar-looking clothing (Unless they were say a master tailor or steamstress or whatever)

Thankyou

This is a bit off-topic. But I was wondering if someone in allanak who has never been to tuluk would be able to easily identify tulukian clothing or vice versa? Or is information on clothing styles common knowledge?

I think you could definately recognise it as "foreign" clothing, because it is unfamiliar and funny looking.  Identifying the region might be a bit trickier, it would depend on how sophisticated your character is.  Urban Tuluki (or nakki) cloathing would probably be correctly identified, because there are only two major cities in the world and if it isn't from your city it must be from the other one, right?  Wilderness or travelling clothes would be harder to pin down, since it is based as much on practicality as fashion.  Most people aren't going to wear tight, revealing or uncomfortable cloathing for overland travel, even if that is what they would normally wear.  If you are unfamiliar with tribal garb then you might mistake "tribe X" cloathing for that of the other city, because it is funny looking.  Additionally, a person wearing dominantly Red with White is much more likely to be from Tuluk than Allanak, a person mostly wearing green with black is much more likely to be from Allanak than Tuluk.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins