Sandstorms

Started by HardCarbon, November 14, 2004, 12:13:38 AM

Re the change to sandstorms  CAN Rangers now find their way through them?   And will that 'Rangers always know where they are' part of the description mean something now?
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Rangers should not be subject to the same difficulties in sandstorms as individuals of other professions, correct.

If this is not the case, please e-mail me privately.

I have one word:

SWEET!

Room titles suppose to be kinda crazy, too?

'look west' To the west is of a Big Freaking Dune.
instead of..
'look west' To the west is east of a Big Freaking Dune.

A lot of it is real bad grammar.. and I dunno.. I thought it was alright the way it was. Perma-sandstorm rooms are screwy.. I don't like it.. but that's just me.  :evil:

Quote from: "Anonymous"Room titles suppose to be kinda crazy, too?

'look west' To the west is of a Big Freaking Dune.
instead of..
'look west' To the west is east of a Big Freaking Dune.
If you see that in-game bug it (and possibly send off an e-mail to Xygax).

Quote from: "Anonymous"Perma-sandstorm rooms are screwy.. I don't like it.. but that's just me.  :evil:
If they exist I imagine they do so for IC reasons. For example Red STORM is controlled by the SAND-Lord. I wouldn't be surprised if the area around Red Storm is more prone to sand storms then say Allanak ;) But I would be surprised if they were perma-sandstorm rooms (they may have always been, or they might be after this code change, I haven't played there for quite some time and I can't remember how bad it use to be), or if they are, I'd be surprised if they're perma-really-really-bad-sandstorm rooms.

Got the bug fixed where the room descriptions look wrong from the next room.  Also, the crafting system will work with next reboot.

Nice, thank you.
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

BTW, please don't e-mail me asking me to fix your particular character's race, or clan with respect to this feature.  :)

Thanks,

Quote from: "Xygax"

If this is not the case, please e-mail me privately.

Okay, guess I misunderstood what we were e-mailing about.
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

Basically, I'm interested in finding out if this DOESN'T work as expected for rangers, but not interested (currently) in finding whether you think desert-elves, or half-giants, or transvestite Jihaen templars should also be exempt from getting lost in sandstorms.

Quote from: "Xygax"Basically, I'm interested in finding out if this DOESN'T work as expected for rangers, but not interested (currently) in finding whether you think desert-elves, or half-giants, or transvestite Jihaen templars should also be exempt from getting lost in sandstorms.

But my transvestite Jihaen templar is like, really in tune with nature and stuff, dude.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Curious.  If you're -following- a ranger, does their bonus extend to you as well?

That would be a nifty benefit for rangers.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yes, it should.  Again, if it doesn't, please e-mail me privately with a description of the situation (who you were following, etc.) if it doesn't.

Quote from: "Armaddict"Curious.  If you're -following- a ranger, does their bonus extend to you as well?

That would be a nifty benefit for rangers.

I like the new changes and the harshness it brings to the desert, but this is the one part that doesn't ring true to me.  

To me it seems like it would be just as easy to follow someone who was disoriented as someone who wasn't.  In other words, I don't follow the logic that it's easier to follow a ranger moving in the right direction than it is to follow someone else moving in the wrong direction.  

It's not so much a matter of thinking it's unfair or unbalancing - I just don't quite understand why it should work that way.

That said, I think the changes are wonderful.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I for one don't much like these changes.

You should at least be able to follow someone, even if -they- are going in the wrong direction. Also, your kank shouldn't wander to the east while you are going north just because you don't have the super special ranger-hands that it takes to keep hold of the reins.

If you can see a couple rooms away you should not be blinded by the winds. Just my take.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.