Tracking NPCs

Started by Anonymous, November 12, 2004, 10:13:00 AM

Are aggressive npcs SUPPOSED to track you until the ends of the earth or is this more of a fluke in the code?  It sure seems unrealistic to me for tracking monsters to follow you all the way from one side of the game world to the next.

If I remember correctly it is a fluke.  I am too lazy however to do a search for the thread.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I believe that the level of dedication in tracking you down depends on the type of the creature. Some of them quickly give up and some of them follows you till it loses your track.

If you think there is something wrong with the creature then you better bug it or mail it to mud@ginka.armageddon.org so that you save some lives :)
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

I agree with you in some degree about creatures following their prey till end of the world, but it really really depends of the creature type.  Most of the beasts in ARM do not follow their prey more than a few leagues especially big ones. But smaller ones hunt their prey until they are very tired, that's propably how they did survived in this harsh world.

Eh.. This is quiet like a ranger following another player to kill. I am sure the ranger would not stop hunting until either her mount or she is completly tired.

Also we have a lot of D-Elfs and mounted people travelling from Tuluk to Allanak in fifteen RL minutes. So you can blame NPCs which following their prey for many leagues.  :wink:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

QuoteAlso we have a lot of D-Elfs and mounted people travelling from Tuluk to Allanak in fifteen RL minutes. So you can blame NPCs which following their prey for many leagues.

How long should it take?  The Known World is meant to reflect a very small scrap of hospitable land.  The city-states are just that, CITIES -- they are not countries.  I'll agree that spamming back and forth from north to south repeatedly tends to be a bit much, but if the journey from, say, Allanak to Tuluk is meant to represent days (or even an entire day's worth) of travel, the code should reflect this by adding more rooms.  Even if I take my time with the journey and stop to rest my kank halfway (even though it doesn't need much resting for the short, half-day's journey) I can still go from gate to gate in far less than a half an hour of real time.

QuoteHow long should it take?

There was a post about this issue some time ago and I might be wrong but I think the journey should take half a day from Allanak to Tuluk if you are in a wagon. If not, with a kank, that should be close to half a day, maybe less maybe more.. I am not clear with this but it is always good to have a small break in the middle..
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Wasn't the original question something about NPC's tracking their prey?   Basically, yes, this is a "feature" of the code, as at least some of those NPC's would/should probably stop at the edge of their territory/zone (or stop once their prey is outside their territory/zone).  Or if their prey is >= a certain number of rooms away.  I'm not certain that any of those checks currently exist.

Perhaps strangely, this isn't OFTEN a problem anymore, although I'm not entirely sure what was changed (other than maybe fewer NPC's that will track you, compared to the Old Days).

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Edit: I have read Savak's post after written mine, that concludes the original question.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT