A pet peeve in regards to bulletin boards

Started by jstorrie, November 07, 2004, 04:14:01 PM

Posts like 'Rumours of a new Oashi' or 'A new Chosen Lord seen at the Sanctuary'.

Just because you start playing a character, that does not mean they're -new-, unless you've special-apped for a newborn child.  If your character has had some reason to be outside of the public eye and that has now ended, fair enough, but at least post something to that effect.  If you're playing some thirty-year-old blue-robe, odds are you've been walking around the city for a while already, yeah?

These 'hey i'm new' posts are both jarring and nonsensical - things I would generally not expect from people playing sensitive roles.  Shape up!

Generally they are new to the populace that sees them.

Thus...new.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

They -aren't- new in most cases.  For whatever reason, they're being noticed now, but a fourty-year-old noble is not new to the city in any case, unless he's been cooped up in his estate since the day he was born.

Perhaps you didn't clearly read Armaddict's post..

They are new to the populace of whichever city-state..

In any case, I would rather they post letting everyone know that character is available so your able to find this person if your in need of something. Specially with Merchant House family members.
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

Many nobles do not leave their estates through out their years more then a few times.. and why would they leave anyway?

I guess almost all noble players end their backgrounds with a reason why they are leaving their well protected, beatiful estates and begin to interact with common folk and other nobles in city property.

A new noble in the city property is a real news for citizens on the other hand.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

That doesn't make them a "new" noble, or "new" templar. It makes them a 20, or 30-something year old noble or templar, who existed as a VNPC up until this time and is now allowing the public the privilege of his existence.

New doesn't mean "not seen before." It means "didn't exist before." It is the opposite of old. Not the opposite of commonly known among the populace.

Personally it kinda jars my senses as well when I see a post saying "New Templar looking for recruits," but it isn't a pet peeve, so I usually just smirk to myself, at the keyboard, and move on to more interesting things (like the actual content of the rumor).

I don't think these should be a rumor either.  There are many 'new' VNPC nobles that appear every month, another Lord Fancypants isn't such a big deal.  This is doubly true for templars, since there's one around every corner.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Go easy on the players. They are merely letting their presence be known. Unless this somehow is detrimental to the game, I see no problem with it.
 was, am, and always will be. That which dwells under the cast shadows; my Heart of Darkness.

In an IC context, I think it's fine. It's the kind of rumours your likely to hear. If your sick of it, then have your character rant about it to the vNPC's telling you.

Like I said, it isn't a pet peeve. And it's only the word "New" that's jarring. Since, well, they're not new templars. They're not even new to my character. Some of them are old to my character. Some are young. But none of them are new, because none of them are infants. And none of them were "not templars" until the moment they stepped out in public..so they're not "new" templars. Templars who are new to being seen in public, sure! But not "New Templars." It's a matter of syntax.

Quote from: "Bestatte"It's a matter of syntax.

That's just it. It doesn't matter.

If you find something as trivial as the word "new" jarring, I suggest a blunt.
 was, am, and always will be. That which dwells under the cast shadows; my Heart of Darkness.

And if you feel the need to recommend I imbibe illegal drugs to eradicate an opinion that isn't the same as your opinion, I suggest..that you not recommend it anymore. Thanks.

While I noticed the post your referring to...and thought the same thing...it's just not really that big of a deal. That's why I never bothered to say anything about it. I know what's meant and what the reality of it is.

*shrug*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't think people should post about their new character at all, regardless of how they describe it.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "Bestatte"Personally it kinda jars my senses as well when I see a post saying "New Templar looking for recruits," but it isn't a pet peeve, so I usually just smirk to myself, at the keyboard, and move on to more interesting things (like the actual content of the rumor).

Oh all things I'd have thought you would have whinned and cried about players posting stupid shit about being an independant <choose a profession> looking for hire. I would rather see a post about a newly seen Templar/Noble figure rather than something useless such as the independant example.
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

Maybe he just graduated from Templar University, and therefore is newly a Templar?  You aren't born a Templar, at least I don't think you are.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Larrath"I don't think these should be a rumor either.  There are many 'new' VNPC nobles that appear every month, another Lord Fancypants isn't such a big deal.  This is doubly true for templars, since there's one around every corner.

Eh.. VNPCs have their own boards that we can not read, in other words, just exits in abstract sence or...

Let's hope PC noble appearance rumors are not written in their IC  boards, that would be really waste of time, but seeing some nobles in boards is neither good nor bad in my opinion. Simply their choice.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

I think it's alright.  Most new characters like that start off with some sort of recent promotion in their background.  A noble might have just been appointed to some public position, or a templar might just have graduated from templar university, or a merchant might have just been given the job by their house.  It isn't that big a deal.  

Maybe we should have VPC posts from the virtual houses?  Did you hear about the new noble in house Jal?  Lord Baher Jal has just been put in charge of the sewer system and he's looking for a few good men to help fight off the rats and roaches.  He usually hangs out at the Obsidian Vestric tavern and will be happy to speak to you.  Finger wigglers need not apply.

But that doesn't make the Jal noble a new noble. He was BORN a noble. It makes him a noble, who has been a noble all of his life, and who has also become the newest guardian of the sewers. So - he's a new guardian, not a new noble.

That's the point that is being made.

This topic is petty enough to receive the coveted "QQ" stamping.

-QQ

I dunno what you are thinking, but tell me how it is taking away from the game. Most of you
(Commoners) Never set foot within the estate of the Nobility or Templarate, so you do not even
have an idea of who is who. When it says a New Templar, it means New to your PC and the
PC's in the clan that are not noble or templarate's face.  So just roll with it, they are being
informative, for your convience, and it is VERY ic to do so as they are now your new superior,
whom you will directly report to, so you might as well hear the rumor about a new face.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I don't think the problem is that there is a rumor, just that someone says 'New Noble' in their post, since it is incorrect.  It's sort of silly to assume they've spent the last 20-40 years hiding their existence from the populace and they weren't just born so they aren't new.

As to if it is or is not appropriate to refer to people as new I'll ask just one question; how many have used the response, "I've just been sent from the estate to fill this role." Or something like that?  Nine times out of ten I'd say you at least will find a noble or whatever new to their position.  

All right, so if all these important people have been important forever.  Doesn't that mean people should recognize them?  Not all important people have guards or wear their signet ring all the time.  There are very few opportunities for common characters to walk up to a rich looking person and ask, "Say, are you that noble from house X I've heard so much about?  What's you're name again?"  

All I'm saying is that I think people are making way too big of deal about posts like this.

Ah, I'll just second Krath's last post
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "My 2 sids"All I'm saying is that I think people are making way too big of deal about posts like this.

Welcome to Intenet Discussion Boards!

Seriously, the tone of 'New Borsail Noble' posts and what is being said in those posts has nothing to do with a new position of responsibility and more along the lines of it just being a new character.

Anyways, to those of you making it a mission to point out how petty this discussion is:  Thanks, here I was thinking it was a huge deal and was in constant communication with the staff to help curtail this behavior.  Now that I've stopped calling for the immediate banishment of players who make 'New Noble' posts can we have permission to at least talk about it?