Idea for linkdead folk

Started by Cuusardo, November 02, 2004, 12:12:02 PM

If my ISP craps out without warning, I don't want to have to suffer IC penalties for OOC shit happening IRL.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

We don't offer ressurections to people that have their ISP go down, or computer crash or anything along those lines.  That would suggest some amount of protection from these events.  Why should we, when we don't provide any protection from these already, offer some other form of protection that people can simply ignore anyway?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Quote from: "Xamminy"We don't offer ressurections to people that have their ISP go down, or computer crash or anything along those lines.  That would suggest some amount of protection from these events.  Why should we, when we don't provide any protection from these already, offer some other form of protection that people can simply ignore anyway?

Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?  Resurections are always a little akward, "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated, I was just knocked unconcious.  'Tis just a flesh wound!"  If the corpse has been looted or their has been a reboot since the death then a resurection is going to be even more complicated.  Resurections suck.

Personally, I'd recomend that if a person is idle for an hour they get logged out automatically.

- Idle instead of linkdead, because a dropped link is not always detected.

- An hour because if you are unable to reconnect or return to your keyboard within an hour, there is a good chance you have a physical connection problem (power outage, telephone lines down, ISP down, etc.) you have fallen asleep at the keyboard, or you wandered off to get aq snack and forgot you were playing Arm.  If you aren't back within an hour you probably aren't comming back any time soon.

- An hour also prevents people from dropping link to avoid trouble.  Only a fool will drop link to get a "free ranger-like quit" an hour later, because anything could happen in that hour.  An hour also lets people that were planning to victimize you give you a few minutes to return, if you disappeared after 10 or 15 minutes they might be worried that your unexpected disappearance would ruin their chance to kill/rob/maim/raid you, so they wouldn't want to wait to see if you were able to re-establish your link.  With an hour limit, if they wish they can afford to wait 10 or 15 minutes before proceding to have their way with your inert PC.

- As an added bonus, this would eliminate annoying linkdead or afk tavern-sitters, some people really hate these guys.  Newbies that don't know how to quit out properly would also fair better by being auto-quit after an hour, rather than being robbed blind and then left standing around naked until the next reboot.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I agree with AC, though I wouldn't mind the time being more than an hour. I'd rather it 2, but that's just a fine point.