It's a harsh world?

Started by sjanimal, October 31, 2004, 02:45:14 PM

Its possible that maybe the docs need to be altered about the life expectancy. (Although I would put it as a low priority)

The helpfiles have been altered from time to time. Heh...I remember once making a post about some contact skills that I had read in the helpfiles...then my post was edited and I was asked just where. And it turns out...it was no longer there.
(oh my!)
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "wizturbo"One of the rare times I disagree with you AC.  

Heresy!  Oh, wait, I'm not a god, so I guess it is ok to disagree with me.

Quote from: "Help Age"Following is a list of the average lifespan of members of each race on Zalanthas, in Zalanthan years:

Mantises  24  Half-giants  82  
Muls  60  Elves  92  
Humans  68  Dwarves  100  
Half-elves  76  Halflings  120  

Average lifespan, not average lifespan of nobles, just average lifespan.

Hmm, interesting that muls have a shorter lifespan than either humans or dwarves.  I wonder if that is because of some genetic anomoly in the cross-breed, or because so many die in the arena before reaching old age.  

Anyway, back to the real world:
Quote from: "CIA World Factbook"

Afganistan:
Life expectancy at birth:    
total population: 42.46 years
male: 42.27 years
female: 42.66 years (2004 est.)  

India:
total population: 63.99 years
male: 63.25 years
female: 64.77 years (2004 est.)  

Somolia:
total population: 47.71 years
male: 46.02 years
female: 49.46 years (2004 est.)  

See, several small parts of Earth have shorter specific life expectancies than that of the Known World as a whole.  

And you doubted me.  :P

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think the docs might mean "average lifespan" to be average amount of time someone lives if they're not killed prematurely by some outside force.  And I believe that information given is also used to show how long certain races are able to live compared to humans.

Maybe a staff member could clarify?

As for the heresy....who says YOU get to decide what the message of the Church of AC is?  Your just our idolized pre-martyr figure, and I get to choose your past writings selectively to support my own goals and designs.  You try and muscle in on my gig, and that whole martyrdom thing might need to be accelerated *evil cackle*!  :-p

<3 ya AC.

Quote from: "wizturbo"I think the docs might mean "average lifespan" to be average amount of time someone lives if they're not killed prematurely by some outside force.  

Um, maybe, but that would mean what?  Most people don't get eatten by scrabs and gortoks, most elves don't get whacked by templars, and very, very few people  are actually stupid enough to fall off the shieldwall -- I immagine those sorts of things happen far more often to PCs than to the population in general.  We think it is nasty if 20 or more PCs die in a RPT, and in some cases (particularily HRPTs) a sizeable group of VNPCs will die with them, but many more VNPCs will be staying snug and safe at home, or screaming and running away from the danger zone while foolish PCs are running toward it.

It is the average lifespan, some people die sooner and some people live much longer.  My guess is that people that eat a varied diet, get regular exercise and drink plenty of water can live into their 80s and beyond, just like on Earth.  As we know (or suspect) a few people live for centuries, much longer than people generally live on earth, though there probably aren't enough of them to seriously skew the average lifespan numbers.

Starving rinthers and heavy labour slaves on punishment details probably live much shorter lives than average.  Most slaves probably make it to the average mark, or even longer if they have valuable skills to pass on to young slaves.  If they don't die in battle (and many rarely see true battle) most guards and solders will be kept in good health throughout their youth and middle age, so they are prone to lingering to become greybeards.  The merchant classes, both in large houses and small independants, can probably make enough money to be well-fed, well-watered, and afford medicine when they need it.  Hunters and criminals are in high-risk professions, if they live into their 40s (and many don't) they will probably need to adjust their carreers or take on "aprentices" as their joints stiffen up and their reflexes slow.  Many tribes are likely to have a few venerable elders of the tribe (perhaps significantly older than 68) people who may not be able to the same physical labour as  they used to, but they are worth their weight in steel as teachers and storehouses of the tribe's history and wisdom.  Milk products are even mentioned as being valued by some tribes because they are good sources of nutrition for the elderly -- a clear indication that they have elderly and make an effort to keep them healthy.

Having your granny alive doesn't make the world less harsh.  Grannies are useful for taking care of the littles while the parents go to work, and they know a lot of stories and stuff that they can pass on as living history.  And keeping Granny alive is one more burden on the average worker, one more dependant that keeps them from buying enough clothing to dress like a PC.  :D  Up with grannies!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I always assumed that those numbers were average biological lifespans.  Unlike the foreign census numbers, the character creation lifespans are meant to tell players how old a new character could realistically be (or when you should start wishing up for a heart attack).  The actual statistical lifespan for Zalanthans would be much lower.  For PCs, even lower.

Dying by violence is usually not included in life expectancy calculations.  That is all I will say.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I like the biological lifespan explanation. I'd quote it, but that would take far too long on my connection...

Although I'm wondering how you would work one out...... perhaps breed test tube people in really big test tubes......... But that might be a little derailing.