When you were new...

Started by Raesanos, October 31, 2004, 01:15:38 AM

...what things do you wish were explained to you better?  Did you find that the way "talking" and tables work was really confusing to you as a newb?  Did you wish someone had explained what a templar before you started mouthing off to one?  What key commands or aspects of the game world did you not find out about for awhile that you wish you knew from the get go?

I think I would have liked a stern lesson in social structure...

Oh, and not to mention that reading and writing is illegal.  That would have saved me from a world of hurt.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

nosave on
avoid the desert=
cuz they           = Death
avoid the rinth  =

Don't fuck with the militia, don't fuck with the nobles or templars.

help say
help talk
help skill_contact

Suggest that pcs look at you, etc and how to recognize.
Mentions of the Tzai Byn, merchant houses. Etc, where to get a job.

Don't spend all your newbie money
Grochery store. Where to get a skin. Where to get water.

Hmm, thats it for now.
Veteran Newbie

Talk and say, how crafting works, how bartering works, and how to identify nobles.

Also wearing items on locations and sheathing items.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

"What to do next?"

When I created my first character, I had absolutely no idea what I should do after pointing at Tuluk and arriving at the Sanctuary, aside from exploring a bit.  A few practical suggestions on how to make a living would have helped a lot; fortunately, I met a Byn Sergeant and joined up, but if he hadn't come along, not sure how I would have gotten along.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I read the docs fairly exhaustively before playing so a lot of the mistakes I made were from ignoring the docs, as opposed to not knowing about them in the first place.

The one thing I could have learnt sooner was "you don't need to be special. You don't need to be the center of attention, you'll get more enjoyment from being an ordinary schmoe." Then again not everyone gets enjoyment from being an ordinary schmoe.

In order of importance:
1. That guilds and sub-guilds are OOC concepts. (for example, you'll get funny looks when you walk up to some one and say, "I'm a pickpocket! And a bard! Gimme a job?")
2. How to recognize a noble (templars I had no trouble with, what with the word 'templar' being right in their sdesc and all).
3. Where to get food, water, and basic equipment.
4. Tables and talking.
5. Just how sparingly you mean when you're talking about the OOC command.
6. No save.
7. A clearer idea of who the Imms are, what they do, and how likely they are to eat your brainz.
8. For some reason, I got muls and gith mixed up. But that's probably just me.
9. The text editor. I've always grappled with that, until very recently, in fact.
10. I don't really have a number ten. I just felt uncomfortable ending at '9'.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Dracul and 5disgruntledMonkeywits put some good points.

Additionally:  The emphasis on the world's being harsh and everybody's being corrupt.  That guy talking nice to you, might just slit your throat for the meat you got in your pack and a full waterskin. (this might help the newbie to be cautious for the evil newbie hawkers)

Nobody is good.

Help emote, emote_examples
some of my posts are serious stuff

I was looking for documentation to be more easily categorized, so that I could look stuff up with some fluidity.

Like a section on the website for combat, for example. The only section for that currently is in the help files, and you have to know the commands already, to look them up. If you're trying to figure out what the commands ARE, you're SOL. So a section in the regular docs explaining combat and everything that goes along with it, with hyperlinks to the help file commands would've been awesome.

I avoided combat-oriented characters my entire first year because of it, because the only thing I had any real understanding of with the code was that it was auto-combat, which gave me headaches in most games I've tried it in.

Mostly though, just a much more intuitive website.

Creating a character.  Well.  There is no helpfiles for all the different guilds and the different subclasses, -while- creating a character.  I wish that whole aspect could be changed to something more simpler.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

1) Communication. 90% of the n00bs I try to help are using "say" with no emotes. I teach them "tell" and "talk" before anything, along with the use of () and ~ and %. All the other emote modifiers can be learned later...

2) How to handle money. Give 120 coins rinth_bastard_with_sick_aunt. Put 762 coins pack, close pack. Nothing would be more discouraging than being brand spanking new and having your starting 'sid robbed because you  didn't know how to protect it.

3) Social structure. There's a big gap between what a n00b knows and what any commoner would know in a city-state, insofar as how to identify-, show respect-, and speak to- those of advanced standing.

4) Where any commoner knows to go and not go. E.g. Don't enter the Rinth, don't enter the ruins, don't leave the city-state gates unless your equipped. Do go to the Gaj, do go to the Tembo, think twice before going into the Trader's or Sanc, etc.

5) Basic tips on getting started as any guild. How to use the rumor board, and how not to pass out using the Way. What might be good starting equipment for any guild, and where to look for employment. This would, of course, be extremely general info that anyone born in their starting area would know.
Amor Fati

I was incredibly fortunate when I started playing.  I had spawnloser and Malifaxis to help me OOCly with any questions I had about the game, and neither of them would let me even THINK about creating a character until I'd read all the docs.

When I started playing, I had plenty of IC help from other players, as well as getting lots of helpful feedback and suggestions from Xygax and Vendyra.

I would recommend to all newbies that before you make your character, pick out a helper or three from the list on the website, and have a chat with them before you make your first character.  Helpers are full of great suggestions and ideas, as well as a wealth of information about the way the game works.  Use them!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Most of what I wish I knew was the protocols for dealing with Immortals and Clan leaders.  

I think there should be a mentorship system.  Something expanded on the current Helper system.  I'm very glad that you asked, Raesanos.

I will write a lot more about this and post later.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Taking this as a poll, I'll repeat some things already mentioned that I have/had trouble with as well:

1. Coin syntax
2. Water purchasing syntax (Thanks to the anonymous imm who rescued me!)
3. Recognizing pcs
4. Estimating vnpc presence from room descriptions (I almost wish there were an extra line or command (like "weather") to assess this explicitly - packed, busy, sparse, empty. I mean, I can tell in bars, marketplaces, and major streets, but I still get confused elsewhere - shops, alleys, etc.)
5. Proper usage for parentheses in emotes
6. Rough maps or directions to places most local commoners would know
7. Belt wear locations & syntax
8. Suggested excuses for conversation, other than "I need a job."

The message boards are not actually notes posted on tavern's walls.

(ed) help tables should be pointed out

During the 9 days it took to get my first character approved (which was, at the time, the norm), I went through the web site. Page by page, help file by help file. I then read the old-style GDB, every link I could find.

By the time my character was approved and I entered the game, I didn't come across a single thing I had difficulty with.

I had trouble with using the way (prompt is something I think that should be stressed a lot more), finding shops (I think we should redo/add to the maps), and as mentioned, recognizing nobility (if you play a noble that requires homage, emote people bowing to you when you enter a room).  Oh yeah, and the pitfalls of inns and taverns (realizing that it's not a good idea to try and live off food bought at the inn or go to sleep in clearly marked sleeping rooms).
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I had a pretty easy time starting. I had a couple people i knew OOC to help me with almost anything i needed. I think Having someone who already knows how to play is the easiest way to learn. Aside from several beginning characters who thought that halflings were miny people equal to children, and they could bend the law, it's been pretty easy starting up.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Dracul echoed my sentiments perfectly.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

1) The talk vs say commands. The very basics of the emote helpfile. Intricate emotes can come later, but it should be stressed that interaction - whether with the gameworld or other characters - is a very important part of the MUD.

2) How to handle coinage, and that you should save as much of it as you can. Take time to explore all the shops and compare prices before buying something.  The food and drink in taverns is not what you want to live off of.

3) How to recognize nobles and templars and what their status in society is. That you don't have to show obeisance unless they notice you or address you or you (are brave enough) to address them. The different forms of obeisance when in north vs south.

(When I was a newbie, I was honestly scared of Winrothol nobles, because some elf told me that they could snatch you up on a whim and make you their slave. I thought 'oh shit!' and did everything I could to not attract their attention. But I didn't understand their true place in Zalanthas society until I'd been playing for at least a couple months, all I noticed was that they were wearing fancy silks.)

4) Stress the importance of reading through the What You Know section of the website for the location they're playing in.

I am still fairly new (though not as new as my GDB account, for sure).  I would have liked to know the specific pecularities of the emote system.  I figured the basics out pretty quickly, but things like not using ()'s for look emotes, the look emote not having a comma, gave me a bit of trouble.  I have been reading the docs on and off for a long time when I didn't have the time to actually play, so most of the info about the game environment was not too tough.

my char died with in 1 hr lol to a templar that threatened to arrest me if i dont give him 1000 coins, i said who are u to ask me for money that belongs to me. BOOM i was cut down by 1 swing with a sword

my friend that was teaching me how to play was laughing so much

What facehugger posted is pretty much true, keep at reading the docs and it seems much easier, but even then, handling the coins was tough.. what are the basic necessities to buy? Other than water and food.

If the message boards are all ooc ic (me as a newbie) then why do they lean against the wall?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant""What to do next?"

Definitely my sentiments. I came from a H&S mud and it takes a
while to make the change to the (obviously better :P) Armageddon
style mud. I played Darksun and was all hyped about playing
Armageddon, and I tend to like characters that get into trouble. At
the time when I first started Armageddon seemed sorta bland, as
compared to other muds it is definitely slow paced, but that's only
because it's realistic (as much as Zalanthas can be realistic) and
very in depth. What you do in other muds is vastly different from
what you do in Armageddon. I'd propose some sort of "introduction
to lifestyles" help such as:
- If you play an [X], you will have to stay in the city of [X] unless
instructed otherwise. Your character will go through military training
and will generally act as a scout, liason and mercenary for your
employer. Although each character will find themselves in differing
circumstances, a good portion of those who play [X] character spends
a majority of their time socializing with other characters and handling
specific tasks from their superior officers.
- Most [X] are assigned to a unit, where they are given a day-by-day
schedule of training and duties such as guarding the gates or
patrolling. In their off-times they are given the opportunity to chat
with the locals, but they should always be keeping their employers
best interests in mind.
- [X] run the deserts, generally trying to secure food for their tribe.
As they love to make a mockery of all "roundears", they try to
impress the other tribes by committing sly heists. They generally
do not leave their tribal area very often, unless they intend to make
specific trips in order to gather goods they cannot acquire at their
lands or to trade their own precious goods. Although they don't
get along with [Y], they are constantly on the lookout for better trade
opportunities for their tribe, and through thievery and other means,
will deal with them as necessary, but making sure they always get
the upper hand.
- Freelance [X] characters hold true to the word forbidden, being
from a portion of the land that considers magick a violent, evil and
accursed practice. They have a firm belief that [Z] will protect them
from types with magick powers or their enemies from the south. [X]
characters also have a strong heritage, and are into the arts such as
poetry and singing. Due to the plentiful game around city [X], many
take up hunting as a means of survival, though many of those learn
this trade by joining or working with others from House [X]. Hunters
from [X] generally spend their time killing game, tanning the hides and
selling them to the population, amidst social interactions and other
activities.
- [X] characters spend their time trying to pilfer and thieve to survive.
Being from the most undesirable of places, they learn quickly not to
draw attention to themselves. Survival tends to be their only concern,
although those who turn a good profit and get skilled tend to get
wrapped up in other matters over time. Knowledge is key as an [X],
and a street-smarts is necessary.

Anyways, that's just a brief idea of what I'd say, most people can
figure out what I'm talking about with each one without a problem. It
isn't exactly what I meant as a "lifestyles" sort of helpfile. I'd be more
direct about things. For instance, a lot of the "shadier" type characters
are really, really hard to play without understanding some things OOC'ly.
That can get easily frustrating when a person picks "assassin" or
"burglar" and realizes they have no knowledge on how to get by. I'd
even put those as a 'not suggested for your first - tenth character' type
of class.

Oh also :P I don't think it would be unreasonable to have a sort of
way of learning certain things about the wastes such as:
"When you find [X FOOD] in the wastes, don't eat it." or
"When you see [X PLACE], don't enter it."

I could literally line up my first ten characters with the new cause of
death that each of them learned. Then again I never really joined any
house when I was learning, maybe I woulda figured out this generally
"trial and error" stuff that only gives you one "trial" :P Figure enough
people dying from certain things that are near certain places would
be common knowledge by now.

Anyways, done with my rant,

- Ktavialt

I voted earlier for a staff approved mentorship system, and I'm voting for it twice.  Looks like someone else put up a thread about it.  This would be awesome.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

When I was new, I wanted to have known pretty much everything else everyone has said. One other thing I would have liked though (I don't think anyone else said this, but I may have missed it) is to have know the 'sav' command. I must've lost a lot of my character's equipment, experience, and so on because of crashes.  :evil:
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I am still half new so here's some opinions:

- The communication targetting stuff.  I didn't look too much at it before and paid for it before my first death.

- Way around.  I have problems with this every MUD.  I'm supposed to know my way around the city but couldn't find a suitable outhouse, much less find where to get needed goods.

- text editor.

- The Way.

I am skeered at looking at the other responses in this post because ksome of those things I haven't met with yet O_o