Favorite Causes of Death

Started by sjanimal, October 16, 2004, 12:50:13 PM

I've kind of reached a point in my gaming where:

--about 1/3 of my characters are dying by learning new things about the game world.
Example:  (completely hypothetical) If you don't feed your sun-lizard at least once every few days, it will get hungry and eat you.  (actually, I made that up, but you get my point).  I don't mind dying this way, because with each death I learn something new.  And I like learning.  I HOPE that I occaisionally continue to die this way.

--about 1/3 of my characters die from getting pk'd.  I like dying this way as well.  For me, I feel like I've supplied someone else with entertainment, and no doubt some day the great cosmic wheel will spin around I'll end up pk'ing one of their characters.  It's all in good fun, and I certainly don't mind being PK'd.

--about 1/3 of my characters die from loss of link or through collapse of the ARM game server.  While I don't get bent out of shape when this happens, (I am an adult, after all) I don't walk away from the computer feeling incredibly fulfilled.  After all, my character's death has served no useful purpose, and any plots that I was involved in just get left dangling.

What is YOUR favorite way for your character to die?
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Long played out PKs where you are never quite sure if you'll be able to walk out or not or if you can get away.

Best way to die, period.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Never been PKed, but that'd be my preferred way of going. Anything else just feels like a mistake.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

My most favorite death involved me trying to work out a deal with a guilder half giant, who eventually help me up by the throat and let his d-elf friend chop me to death.

Best RP ever.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

My characters live so so long (yhey are fighter types). I did not get taste of different styles of dying. But, I have some ideas:

1- I hate being killed by a PC if it is not IC for them. Of course, you cannot know generally whether it is IC, or not.

2- HRPT is wonderful way of death if I have any affect on the plot.

3- It can be great to die because of poison or magick.
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

QuoteNever been PKed, but that'd be my preferred way of going. Anything else just feels like a mistake.

Sigh, unfortunately the same for me.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I have no favorite causes of death, because well, they all sucked, but my least favorite has to be dying to Tal Zen. :evil:
Don't listen to me, I'm only a newb.

Err... My all chars try some complex ways of making connections to both underground organizations, magickers, tribals etc but also local militias, merchants and such. It takes about 5 or 6 days of playing time. Then I try fun things, not with my skills, but with the connections I have. I have fun, play for hours non-stop, make a plot for myself.. I become sleepy and slow reacting. Then suddenly a silt horror/badass warrior/uber assassin/defiler/'met arrives from north and claws/slashes/stabs/casts on/gnaws me.

Nah! I don't like any kind of death.. Sorry.

Note: 4.5 days of playing time.. Please let me stay awake this time...
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Wezers.
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

HRPT
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

Quote from: "Savak"Wezers.

Oh yeah, the wezer's death - lost a gith pc a looong time ago to that one.

Yes.

Also, going out in a blaze of glory in an arena match during which you are sentenced to death, but manage to take down three or four gladiators in the process is a hoot.

Suicide.. I had a very long lived character who was doing very well, stuff happened to him IC and it pushed him to killing himself. I really enjoyed seeing everyones reaction to it through my next char eyes.

Forgot to log in..  :evil:
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Yep.

At least 50% of my characters have died to aggro NPCs.  About 3% have been PKed.  Perhaps 5% have died to a fall, directly or indirectly.  About 10% have died during RPTs (but never a HRPT).  And roughly 75% have died after midnight, when I really should have been sleeping.  Yes, I know that is more than 100% sometimes more than one applies, one time I was killed by an aggro NPC, during on a RPT, when I was sleepy....

I don't think I have a favorite way to die.  Death bad.  Given a choice, it is nicer to die with lots of PCs around, because then maybe they'll remember my character.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Getting assassinated is fun, if the player roleplays it out.

DEATH BY ROUTER

Ok, so I am just saying that because the router has killed my connection to arm but.. same thing!
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

The best way to die is being tortured to death by a past templar. Starts with a K.
Next best way to die is being tortured to death.
My least Favorite, getting pk'ed for the sole of pk'ing.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

My favorite way to die is when I login and get the following (not exact message, but you will get the point):

Halaster the Shroud of Death boots you to the head!
/*Karianna has perished from a boot to the head by Halaster/*

But then.....I get...

I try to type something, and I get about ten more before I can even respond. It then ends with:

Halaster, the Shroud of Death, says to you in Sirihish:
"Hello, Special K"

It's good to be me :)
'm not defined by what I did in my past-
but who I am in the present,
and who I will be in my future.
I choose to be defined by integrity. -A.W.

Death by massive meetings of several PC and NPC at once has been so far THE way to die!

By far the worst, is trying to roleplay out an injury due to a battle, and having a superior say 'go fight and destroy this large thing of things, with  one other person, and a brand new warrior, even though with this injury you carry around, you'll be completely useless.

I still think dying to Tal Zen is the worst way ever to die :(

Quote from: "drasik"I still think dying to Tal Zen is the worst way ever to die :(

I've never actually died to that...just been severely fucked up.

Had a PC die to it in a sandstorm.  :lol:

Absolute favorite:
WALKING past two HG Naki militia guards, while I had a baby in each arm, into their nice little camp.
What was running through ym head: There's kank's just sitting there. That's so weird, what if someone steals them? enter camp

Welcome to Armageddon!

Oh, and then there's the bigger noble house killing your noble because they think you're insane because you have a golden-kank friend that no one else can see. That was awesome.

-Tortall, who misses her golden-kank
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Ed Gruberman, approach that you may learn Tae Kwon Leep.

Boot to the head!
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

My favorite way to go is PK or HRPT. Cause you get to live out the scene..

My favorite way to kill someone, is by taking out a bounty and having them hunted.. I have done this twice.. and it was fun for me both times.. I hope it was fun for the two people who bit it.

Assassination I would also think is a ton of fun.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bagโ€“YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Best way to die HRPTs.

Best way to Kill someone? Get their loved ones to do it  :twisted:
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Protecting one of your characters loved ones...especially if your characters death actually succeeded in saving that special someones life.
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

The shield wall isnt too hard to avoid, all you need to do, is stay two spaces away from it if you are in a fight.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

so you say, but back in the day it was possible to just type "n" and fall to your death....ask any bynner. ;-)

I never came close to falling before, as I was always careful around the wall.

My favorite death so far was with my first PC, when I decided to investigate the 'rinth, without knowing what it was. A nice axe weilder taught me a quick and permanent lesson.  :D

Worst death was looking good on one outing, then immediately going on another to whacked by two uber gith without being rescued by the two better fighters that were with me. Ugh.
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

You hear the hissing sound of a blade being drawn as someone steps behind you.

*Backstab death message*

*beep* Welcome to Armageddon. Never been killed this way...but being unknowningly assassinated with an emote would rule. I've never died in a HRPT, even though by all rights with one of my characters, I should have died about 40 times. (I was a 2d warrior...and yet I survived. With a lot of hp, while giants and magickers and clanned sergeants died around me. Whoo.)

Worst: Someone with no IC reason to kill you. Something like- (in your clan barracks) So and so draws a sword. *beep*
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Best way:

>n
You walk off the edge of a really big cliff.

You fall.

You keep falling.

You're still falling.

>l

The air
You're falling in midair. Sucks for you.
An enormous steel longsword is falling here.

>take sword
You fall some more.

You see no sword here.

You land.

>l
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

>think What's a grue?
You think: "What's a grue?"

A grue eats you. Told you so.

Welcome to Armageddon!

Note: None of the above actually happened to me. Ever.
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Whats a grue?

Quote from: "Kill4Free"Whats a grue?

Classic Infocom (think Zork). See here:
http://jzip.sourceforge.net/frobozz/frobg.html#TheGrue

Agent already beat you to it :P

I'd just like to thank the two rascals who lead my previous character to a place then robbed him of all he was worth, including life. It was my first death by pkilling and probably the best. To the two ingenious pkillers out there, cheers!

Ah, that damn templarate up to no good again, hrm?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

It's been long enough that I can post this one without too much shame. By no means my favorite death, but far and away the funniest.

--

Riding between the two cities with a relatively non-combat character. Been back and forth a number times with no danger whatsoever, and I was feeling pretty desert savvy by now.

So, I see a Jozhal off the road. "Aha!" I think, "Jozhal = easy prey. They run away from me all the time. I can get some throwing practice in!"

I fling a knife at the unfortunate creature - wham! A hit! I'm just readying another knife when the jozhal enters, looking pretty pissed off. It drags me off my mount and proceeds to maul me horribly. I'm kinda shocked here, it's like being mutilated by that baby you were snatching candy from. After a few minutes of inconclusive fighting which leaves me at about 10hp, I take the hint and head for the hills. I ride to Allanak in a hurry but - shit, the gates are closed! No matter. Should be safe enough here, I'll just rest for a bit.

A little before dawn, my HP still haven't regenerated at all, but I'm not worried... Until the jozhal arrives, a psychotic gleam in its glowing cybernetic eye. This was some kinda rabid terminator jozhal from hell. It doesn't seem to see me, but it's tracked me all the way from the salt flats. This is a jozhal on a mission. The mess of tracks around the gate has it confused, though! It's not sure who to maim!

So, while its busy searching for my tracks, the gate finally opens. I'm saved! I stand up from resting, ready to leap onto my kank and ride triumphantly into the city.

And... The jozhal looks up.

A split second before I hit 'east', my throat is torn right the fuck out by the rampaging jozhal. My character dies the most ignoble death imaginable, inches from safety, slaughtered by the lowliest creature in the desert. I can only hope nobody was watching this from inside the gates.

*applauds*

Yeah, that was really good.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Okay okay... I just remembered my first death.

It was the type of death that sparked a furious rage and the desire to make my next pc to be one that killed everything (tm). Funny thing is, she didn't... but her kid did.

Anyway... I'm a new player and a friend took me under his wing, inducting me into Oash as a guard. We're out hunting one day, and for some reason I got separated from him. (This was waaaay back when, btw, in the Lawrence days.)

I'm trying to make it back to the wagon, yes, we took the wagon out to hunt. When four or five elves show up. I snarl bravely, of course, because I was taught that Oash don't like elves. Blackwing elves even... ooooooh... ultra evil hatred goodness. So, my day old warrier with no movement and really shiny new Oash armbands...

Yeah... You can pretty much figure out how it went from there.
Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

*WARNING*

This was a number of years ago, but is a fairly detailed story.  I'm leaving things intentionally vague here, but if an imm feels this is a little too IC - please, delete.

Also, there is a lot of background to this, and the way this death was cool is actually more ooc than IC, although ICly it was a pretty cool death anyways.

The Background:

For the better part of a year, I was the head of a clan that was, shall we say, in trouble.  This clan was LARGE, and player run... my clan head answered to no npcs above him.  Rampant out of character mongering dominated the proceedings of this clan.  PLots and goals were made with ooc friends, and my clan head also protected a PC he should have by all rights killed - said PC was played by an ooc friend.  Needless to say, when I wasn't playing I was writing COUNTLESS EMAILS to the armag imms in an attempt to keep the clan PC-run, as well as keep said troublesome character alive.  

This went on for a while, but eventually - it came to the end.  In aftermath, I can see pretty damn clearly how bad we were..

The imms finally stepped in, instituted an NPC head of the clan, and troublesome character was killed.  In a snit, I retired my char, and the clan closed.  ICly, it continued to exist... just not as an open clan.

The Death:

A while later, I am playing another character of some power.  This is the first HRPT.  Since then I liek to think I had repaired my ooc mongering ways, and was having fun at the mud and doing well.  This one character was rather mediocre in my opinion - but that all changed that day.

In one day (again being vague here) I'm able to see a rival killed, various enemies vanquished, and great favour is bestowed to him from above.  Then, we head off on a huge military campaign.  Everything is going as well as PHYSICALLY possible.  After a long and exhausted day of rping, this huge campaign comes down to one final battle.  My PC is asked to lead the final charge of this huge HRPT.  

And so, brimming with pride and thinking of the glory ahead, my PC charges against the gates of the clan I had spent the better part of a year trying to save from extinction.  As a huge melee ensues - I spy the current clan head.

This was the immrun NPC who had ICly come in and more or less spelled the end of that stupid, ooc mongering clan I loved so well.  And so, my military leader, with no IC reason, attacks the NPC because I think all of his guards are occupied.  This was, again, a totally out of character action - I wanted a bit of vengeance.

This was a mistake.

My character is MOWED down by all of the clan's npcs, and the killing blow, I believe, was landed by the cook.

And so my character falls valiantly in battle at the climax of the HRPT - ooc, I'm laughing my -head- off.  My character died because of an ooc action, when he was -wiping a clan of off of the face of the mud- BECAUSE of the ooc mongering I was a great part of in that very same clan.  

The moral of the story, kids?

DON'T OOC MONGER

-Dave
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

Favourite death so far was to my favourite character, at a recent and quite popular mostly player-arranged event. Sure, it was too chaotic for me to have made any sense out of it, but that made for a suitable enviroment.

Getting castrated!

Go Clegane!

Getting eaten by a Bahamet in one bite.  :twisted:
heres bone dust in my throat and everything is dead, but it's alright.....

I played for around a month and have 5 characters so far.
First one, I fought a jozhal, lost, flee, tried to hitch my kank. I typed ' hi kank ' and I got what i wanted, and died for it.  
Second death, i literally rode my erdlu to death [my death, not his] , not realising it wasn't the best of a mount to ride.
Third death I was riding an inix, went hunting happily. A marksmen on all counts, i met this lizard. I mistyped shoot lizard, missing the direction and hit enter. My inix hit me three times and I died, unable to react in any record time.
how many people get killed by their mounts 3 times in a row?
I'm a loser... but was fun though.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu