Things Your Character Would Know to Assume...

Started by Naiona, October 06, 2004, 03:17:34 PM

How did this thread derail so far off course?

I don't think it's ever breaking character to not kill yourself.

Ever.

Quote from: "Help_Suicide"Suicide is a serious matter in both real life and on Armageddon, and as such, should not be taken lightly, or as a method of ceasing the play of a character.  The people of Zalanthas generally have terribly strong desires for self-preservation, and this is reflected in that there is no easy way to inflict damage upon yourself to commit suicide.  However, this does not mean that it is impossible to kill yourself, but you will have to figure out exactly how on your own.

In my view, if you really feel as though you have a good reason to kill your character, go ahead.  But stop and think about.  Because most likely, you're just over-playing your character's personality.  There is one thing that binds every human, elf, half-elf, mul, half-giant, dwarf, magicker and templar.  They do not want to die.  This is true of every character, unless you're suffering from a severe form of depression.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "Kill4Free"I find that quite often you will die anyway if a templar takes the time to haul you somewhere.  Might as well go down with some resistance :)

Duude...no way.

Templars would kill you on spot if they wanted you dead. think about it this way...dragging you somewhere would be  a waste of effort if they dont want to work something out.   theyre CORRUPT...dude...exploit.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Dracul"Templars would kill you on spot if they wanted you dead. think about it this way...dragging you somewhere would be  a waste of effort if they dont want to work something out. theyre CORRUPT...dude...exploit.

My experiences with templars overall were good, and I found the above statement to be true.

Except ONE time, and I'm still so bitter about it, its one of the reasons I'm not currently playing the mud.

The templar should have found a better use of you if your PC is dead.

Who knows, maybe your rival was quicker to get you eliminated.

And about giving hint why it all happened that way: Actually, it is realistic, that templars do not tell why they are doing, what they are doing.  It only happens in movies, that the bad guy tells the whole story to the victims at the end of the movie, before a miracle happens and the bad guy is get killed.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Who knows, maybe your rival was quicker to get you eliminated.

Heh, what rival? That PC never did anything 'wrong' I know of and had no rivals I know of. Some sort of closure would have been VERY helpful. That wasnt the real thing that bothered me, it was something else, but I really wontnt go into it.

The majority of templars I encountered rocked, kudos to you.

Quote from: "Akaramu"That PC never did anything 'wrong' I know of and had no rivals I know of.

You never know. You can´t be sure who gets upset by an innocent note or gesture. Maybe you just look similar as a known troublemaker. Maybe your rival is that girl who wears same dress as you do and who has "the right friends". Maybe Lord Templar doesn´t like colour of your shoes.

It is not necessary that you did something "wrong". There are lot of things behind the main scene.

Templars dont PK over shoe color, I'm sure. It must be something major.

I dont believe in being PKed without the slightest clue why, and without ever having taken any sort of risk, it gets me depressed. I'm happy for everyone who has a thicker skin than me.

I do agree that Templars should refrain from killing over shoe color.  I don't believe it has to be anything 'major' to kill someone however, as long as its IC, its fair game.  This isn't like the real world where people's lives are worth something.  In Zalanthas, commoners are worth even less then slaves in most instances, because you dont' even have to answer to their owners if you kill them.  

I completely disagree with the concept that you need to be informed why your dying.  A templar, or any PC for that matter, is in no way obligated to inform you.  It's much better if they hint at it in some way...but sometimes thats not IC, and sometimes hints aren't picked up and thats life.  If you can't handle it, sorry to say, this game might not be for you.

One good example of why people often don't inform, is both IC and OOC reasons:

IC reason, you tell them why they're about to die, then they way their buddy and now a plot might be unravelled.  This isn't the movies where villians have this long speech before they execute a hero, its Zalanthas where they kill you before you even realize they're a villian.

OOC reason, that player now has OOC knowledge about a plot, your character, or various other things that they could potentially abuse.  I would really hate it if a big secret of mine was revealed, by someone's new character that happened to stumble upon the information...even though they'd probably never have guessed it in a million years.

Quote from: "Akaramu"

Heh, what rival? That PC never did anything 'wrong' I know of and had no rivals I know of.

The best rivals are the ones that effectively conceal their contempt for you.  The ones that act like your best friend, while they're secretly poisoning your cup of wine.

Reasons for their hatred of you, things you did 'wrong'?

You were born?  You were born a certain race, or of a certain tribe?  You happened to have some clothing, sid, jewelry, weapons that a particular person wanted to take from you and thought killing you would be the best solution.  Maybe you slept with someone's mate, and they wanted to kill you to get you out of the picture.  Maybe you made friends with someone, and that person's enemies took note of it and decided to kill you because of it.  Maybe you overheard something you shouldn't have.  Maybe your just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The list is endless.  Yes, its pretty upsetting at times that your character's life isn't always in your hands...but thats how things are.  Its realistic, and anyone who thinks the real world is "fair" has a lot of learning to do.

You dont all need to 'correct' me.

I am well aware of the points mentioned.

I never said there is anything wrong with the game. I never said it shouldnt be harsh. Or that it should be fair.

It just, really, isnt for me. That was my whole point. I wish fun and happiness to everyone who can deal with it better than me.

Quote from: "Akaramu"Templars dont PK over shoe color, I'm sure. It must be something major.
Like the 1000 'sid they may have been given by your rival that hated your shoe color?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Some templars DO torture without a prominent reason.. That's the IC world we're living in. But even in such condition -templar is a pervert who likes to torture and you're the prey today without a reason- templars avoid doing damage that will affect your char all your life.. If something's done to you, you must have done something. Maybe this ain't the real Zalanthas and templars would go shattering limbs in it, but for playibility issues I guess, they avoid marginal actions. I guess I would still be OK if templars wielded their swords more often.

Anyway I don't play in big cities :p That won't affect me much..
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

One of the most fun times I have ever had was getting hauled to prison thinking I was the shit.
I acted like I was god and he couldn't touch me.
As time went on, about two minutes, My PC broke and was pleading for his life.
I even tried to emote crying, but my buff ass warrior was slayed. Subdued and unarmed type. I still could have won, if I had a weapon.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Since we're on the topic of torture, what do people think of getting a limb cut off during such scenes OOCly? And if that does happen, do you roleplay it likewise, or just shrug it off?  :roll:

Quote from: "Akaramu"Heh, what rival? That PC never did anything 'wrong' I know of and had no rivals I know of. Some sort of closure would have been VERY helpful.

Then clearly you were executed, and rightly so, for being too nice.  Playing a real character might be helpful in the future.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"

Then clearly you were executed, and rightly so, for being too nice.

ROFL!  This is actually true.  I'm SUPER suspicious of nice people in Zalanthas, and I'm tempted to murder them quick before I find out they're "nice" sorcerors or mindbenders waiting to eat my children.

Heh, what rival? That PC never did anything 'wrong' I know of and had no rivals I know of.

I will just say, "you never know" to this part.  There are more than a couple of incidents that made me go like "Oh, shit!" with the same char.  You walk away from a place, you return after an IG year or two, and you find out, your name (you changed your name by the way, so your "new" name) is being used in a crime organization by a member of crime organization.  So I find my char quite in some of the plots, without I knew.

And that one that used my char's name was not a rival at all.  My char only had one "chatter" with him in time.  And there was no evil along that chatter.

You never know
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Akaramu"Heh, what rival? That PC never did anything 'wrong' I know of and had no rivals I know of. Some sort of closure would have been VERY helpful.

Then clearly you were executed, and rightly so, for being too nice.  Playing a real character might be helpful in the future.

She was more real than you could even imagine. I dont play sock puppet characters, and she was not 'nice'. She just didnt mess with people.

I've had a Vivaduan who was very 'nice' by nature, and she was definitely real.

C'mon... Nobody dictated you anything... They're just talking about the possibilities. If you don't want to be answered, don't post anyway.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

She's still really upset about a dead character.  I don't think anything we say will be viewed positively.

Quote from: "Wizturbo"ROFL! This is actually true. I'm SUPER suspicious of nice people in Zalanthas, and I'm tempted to murder them quick before I find out they're "nice" sorcerors or mindbenders waiting to eat my children.

This kind of stuff makes absolutely no sense.  To derail this thread back to being about what your character would know, every character would probably know some nice people.  I think what players fail to understand, or maybe they just don't want to understand, is the difference between harsh and unbearable lives.  Just because life is hard doesn't mean people don't make friends, have relationships, have no faith in the system (If templars didn't actually provide some sort of justice, people would revolt.  That's WHY people revolt, as long as there is safety, they will withstand almost anything), people have birthdays they have parties, have fun.  Harsh doesn't mean people just hate each other and live isolated lives.  

The most over rated, non-realistic, cookie-cutter characters in this game are the ones that some how are only fake, never admitting to not knowing what to do/ being scared/ not understanding/ never actually amused at anything/ showing no actual emotion what-so-ever even via think command.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Just because you don't know you have a rival doesn't mean you don't have one. Maybe someone figured out that you were selling all those obsidian longswords to the Templarate, and they wanted your job. Maybe you shouldn't have been flaunting that nice silk shirt. Perhaps spitting at that Wyvern with your northern elf...that might be a factor. Maybe someone in your clan wants to advance, but would rather create a power vacuum than work for it. Who knows, huh?

It kinda sucks if someone gets the drop on you, but then you gotta realize, you can always get the drop on somebody else with your next character.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I was being sarcastic.  It's impossible to have a character that at least somebody doesn't want to kill.  Owning a waterskin full of water is enough motive for someone to try to kill you.  If there isn't any reason for anybody at all to want you dead, then you're playing some imaginary game and you indeed lack a real character.  By the way, I'm certain that I could imagine it.

Just one more thing.  Don't stand up if you aren't prepared to be put back down.

I am starting to wonder how all the unclanned non-slave non-rinthi citizens even reach adulthood. Allanak should be losing population numbers within those ranks constantly with all the waterskins there are to kill for. But maybe its just me.

I dont mind being put back down in discussion, but you were not discussing with me. I'd love to, someday, if you happen to actually know one of my PCs. I'm always open to feedback.

As a final note, PLEASE STOP THE 'TEACH THE NEWBIE THE GAME IS HARSH' ramblings. I KNOW. I felt and tasted it for nearly 100 days played. I got people killed myself by pointing a finger at them. My point was really something else.

And all of this because of a remark about ONE templar I was dissatisfied with, Jesus, what have I started! I'm sorry. :(