How exactly does 'hit' differ from 'kill'?

Started by Tedronai, September 24, 2004, 06:05:49 AM

I'd be curious to know the circumstances under which hit and kill are treated differently codewise.

That said, it'd be nice to have a command in which you strike only once at an opponent instead of going into a complete fight.  Could be used for sparring in a IGO-UGO way.

I BELIEVE that in spars it also lowers the chance of accident fatalities.

Since your intention is to 'hit' rather then 'kill' the person.

"Hit", as I understand, means you'll avoid delivering the "coup de grace" - with this command, even if you have "mercy off", you won't kill an enemy that's already fallen and near-death. In order to kill a fallen enemy, you must use the "kill" command, if you haven't already. At least, this is what I remember happening to me last time I played a fighting character - I could be wrong. And yes, "hit" does activate the brawl code if you're unarmed, but I'd personally emote through the scene instead of calling for the code. It seems to ignore things like agility and armor value, which are crucial to determining whether you hit or miss, and if you go ahead and emote, you'll be brought back to full health before you have a chance to strike.

This is, in fact, the only problem I see with a "strike" command for round-to-round, role-playable combat: how do you disable health/stun regeneration for until the battle ends? The only solution I see would be to make "strike" a component of a general "fight" command, which placed two or more people in a non-regeneration state, which can "infect" anyone who joins them. Should someone caught in this state be attacked normally, he and everyone taking part in the fight would automatically revert to normal, coded combat. It would make things very elegant, I feel, without endagering the coded gameworld.

There is no difference, except for one.

The only difference is that you can use 'hit' in brawl code, but not 'kill'.  This, however, is not a function of DIKU but rather the fact that 'hit' is running from a special brawl program that's been put on that room.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I'd say, for the regeneration issue...eh...who cares?  I think the "strike" command would be used for roleplayed out combat sequences such as sparring matches, or fights that have a non-lethal intent to them.  I strongly feel it should be implemented, it'd make SOO much more possible without the jarring "flee and return" crap.  Also there are times, when you just want to swing one time at something, and thats it.

Hit is command in order to avoid to kiss scrabs  :lol:
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Both of them enter you into the same combat (barring scripts, as Halaster said), and once you're in combat, the combat code runs the show.  The MERCY flag is checked as part of the combat code.  Ergo, unless there is some immediate check that occurs in hit vs. kill that I'm not aware of, they're the same -- as Halaster said.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Regardless of lack of coded difference, I find myself typing 'hit' for spars and 'kill' for actual combat. Heh.

Err... Yep yep yep... a thing like 'strike' or at least 'touch'-like D&D, you just try to reach and touch would be great for lots of instances. But of course it's out of the topic.

But I remember a newbie friend I was teaching the game kissed a scrab two times before the scrab attacked. So using hit is much safer I guess.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]