Questions about coding/game-mechanics

Started by Anonymous, September 23, 2004, 01:19:07 AM

QuotePlease don't get me wrong, and think my stance is dont' help them at all. I help newbies all the time actually. But telling them if such and such echos this, or such and such echos that. Or where hide rooms are, or are not. What rooms have a low chance of getting crim-coded, which ones don't. Or things that might be 'realistic' to know, but are codedly difficult to discover is completely out of the question for me. Yes it gives experienced player an advantage, but it also prevents inexperienced players from doing things that are unrealistic, like the example of stealing kanks from a guarded estate just because the gate isn't coded right.

Exactly what I'm trying to say Wiz'.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I just wanted to say thank you for House of the Rising Sun's post.

I've thought about this issue from time to time but he put it into context for me. I've felt like an actor on stage who has no clue what the stage looks like or what the props are for when I go to make a new character.

Without some realistic expectations of how the game world operates its hard to come up with new and interesting ideas because when I try to apply them in the game world, they just don't apply. My expectations do not fit the game reality.

This is very frustrating and makes it hard to enjoy my character. Its like dressing up for a Halloween party and showing up where every one is in coats and tails. My charcter is out of place in game and all it takes is anyone to talk to my character for 30 seconds to determine this. I am unable to play the role I chose because I have no realistic idea how the world responds to what I do.

This isn't to say that game secrets should not be kept. But realistic ideas about how the world operates would be incredibly useful.

Katsumata, and others who experience similiar problems,

USE THE HELPERS.

I can't stress that enough. They can give you hints and answers that we on the GDB aren't allowed to give.

Add them to your buddylist. IM them. I've needed them from time to time, and it's rare i can't find at least one online.

And even if you email them, you'll likely get an answer in at least a day or two.

For code questions, sensitive questions, I wouldn't use the board here at all. Use it maybe for general roleplay questions, but not for the stuff you're needing.

Use the helpers.

The Helpers are there for a reason.  We trust them to help you without giving out too much information.  Use them.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!