Wants and ideas

Started by Gargath, September 03, 2004, 07:00:34 PM

I know we have talked about this time and time again but I like to beat old dogs.

What, aside from more numbers, would you like to see added to the game?

What would you like to see improved or expanded on?

Great ideas you might have?
Gargath, the Scapegoat of Despair

Softly, the evil sorcerer says, in sirihish:
     "Great Tektolnes' Hairy Balls!  That's rather amazin'"

The evil sorcerer thinks: Hm, does he really have hair on them?  Gah.. stop thinking about this.

I would like to see player controlled Silt Skimmers, trading between R. Storm and R. Strom East, discovering the silt sea without having a need for IMM assistance..
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

Well, hm. I've seen lots of great ideas on the boards, but  I haven't had much personal experience with the issues because i'm still relatively new.

So I'm going to avoid those (i.e. crim code, economy, etc.).

I'd like to feel that when I ride something besides a kank, i'm getting advantages out of it beyond just pure RP.

Just sudden thought, it'd be nice to see more things to do in the cities besides tavern sit if you're off duty. like video arcades, or, er, well, something.

That's really all I could ask for. And they really aren't even that big issues with me. I'll get back to you moaning and groaning about crim code and some other issues when I personally experience them.

Oh! Also, Improved combat code. NPCs with delays need them, I'd like kick to be generic instead of a huge circle kick in full armor. I'd like pull reins to work again. I want charge to work if you're really really good, and not be restricted to one class. (I think it'd be fair if warriors and rangers had it. I don't know who actually does, though.) I'd like the wound code to be more detailed about where the wounds are and what they are, or far more generic (i.e. either say i have a huge bruise on my forehead, or say that I seem to be wounded badly. Don't say i'm bleeding profusely.)

Ok. That was a pretty long "oh, also," but whatever. you asked. :mrgreen:

p.s. improved weather code. it shouldn't storm for IG weeks in 'nak. every fuggin' OOG week. Sorry. Just don't like it.

Rewrite the poison and brew systems (not just the skills, the entire systems). Make alcoholic beverages brewable, as advertised in the help files.

Rewrite the herbs (Sanvean says this is a pet project of hers I think..?)

Cease and desist the totally ridiculous system whereby someone with 20 kajillion things left over from last week, can walk into the market and clean out every shop's trunk full of sids and load up their shelves within 5 minutes time of the Saturday reset. Give people serious consequences for attempting such a thing. Maybe have the shopkeeper get pissed at them and refuse to trade with them for the next two RL days.

Give people with the repair skill the ability to resize armor.

Give people with the clothworking skill the ability to resize clothing.

Return to the policies I read I believe in the blogs..where the staff MUST respond to e-mails from players within 2 days. Even if it's just to say "I don't know." Nothing is more annoying than silence (major props to Gilvar for being a steady and prompt responder). Remember - you're an IMM. You can see sides to issues that we can't see. Just because you know it isn't urgent, doesn't mean we have any such knowledge.

Raise the standard on the application approval process, particularly with regards to sdescs and mdescs. There is no excuse for 5 sentences chock full of typos. None, zilch, nada. FIX them during the application process, then approve them for release.

Fix that freaking 300+-sid object with an sdesc of one thing (a hat maybe?), but the main desc says it's a freaking loincloth. You want people to stop submitting a bug report over and over again, then fix shit like that. It's stupid and there's no reason why it should still be like that 2 months later.

A slave economy.

Where you can go bid on slave auctions and buy npc slaves of various skill types.  If your a wealthy independent traders, who's to say you can't buy yourself a couple warrior slaves-guards?

Player run and operated silt skimmers would rule.

A larger playerbase (GO TLALOC).

A better variety of ways to elude the law.  The absolute knowledge that YOU ARE THE CRIMINAL is really kind of ridiculous, though I understand the limitations of code.  If there was some way around this, that would be awesome.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I'd like to be able to recieve limited knowledge of the weather when in a room that has a direct link to an outside room.  Nothing is more silly than having to step outside to see if it's still tornadoing outside.

Simple things...more taste, sip and sniff messages, maybe a way to bury things in the sand (and hope a sandstorm won't make you lose it forever), serious implications for people travelling in sandstorms, more NPCs that talk about cool stuff and that can react differently depending on your race.  NPC nobles and merchants that change their clothes according to the latest word from Kadius (a pre-defined cycle of items that is stored in a spec somehow?).

Being able to tell if someone is taller than you without having to resort to assess -v (I don't want to know if they're half-elves or not, I just want to know if I'm looking up or down).

Having all nested emotes made consistent and require paranthesis.  Walking, talking, standing, looking...everything.  No memorization needed.

Foraging for food and water for non-rangers (at a significantly lesser ability).

Harmless coded sicknesses like lice and itchings.

Harmless and/or harmful things that magickers can sekretly do to people by taking a lock of their hair and uttering their true name.

More wear and tear on non-shield items...especially clothes.  My character deflected an attack using his silk vest once...I'd say it should at least become a little ripped from the damage.

And, well, this is everything that comes to mind right now.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Danger, being a player of numerous years I miss the old days when you couldn't go out to the sands and return unharmed. I understand we are trying to make the roads more friendly for trade but as trade increases so would raiders I'd assume. So perhaps a group of npc raiders, or bring the gith horde back!

Yasbusta

More clan based activities

Clans should have well-defined, meaningful goals which they set out for their members.  Something which is worked out between the clan immortals and the PC leaders.  

Merchant houses should caravan to raise money and nobles should have plans for raising their house's profile.

You see these PC templars in the 'war ministry' all the time.  Give them a small army and have them try and go conquer the tablelands, or whatever.  Bring Tor and the Byn with them.

Sustained Overt Conflict

Less backroom scheming and more brass knuckles.  Not all conflict should lead to PK.  Have houses openly be enemies of eachother.  Banish people more often. Alter the code to make encounters in the desert less about who can flee fastest, via a threaten command, or some equivilient code change.  Bring back a new and improved touch command.

da mitey warrior's ideas puts a gleam back in my eyes.  Anything along these lines would be a step in an exciting and bloody direction.  And that's a very good direction.

In order of "integrability" (as in, how likely staff members are to work on it):

Right now, the game makes it impossible for PC clothiers to even get the material costs back by selling ordinary pants and shirts. Fix that.

A "strike" command (see below).

More wear and tear, like Larrath said.

The "strike" command I mentioned.

Tailoring and armor adjustment, in Bestatte's vision.

An adjustment of the clothworking system, which allowed people to make clothes of poorer quality upon failing their rolls, rather than just shredding the cloth.

Did I mention the "strike" command?

Random inventories for typical NPCs, which picked items every reboot/crash from a list specific to the NPC. As it is now, if a thief needs a specific object, he knows precisely where to "shop around".

An ecology for the south. A real one.

A "wound self" command.

A touch command that could take one or more combat variables into account: agility, strength, armor, the value of your weapon etc.

Better yet, a "strike" command, which would play out exactly one round of combat, with the regular start-of-combat delay. This has been discussed a whole lot, and would allow people to actually role-play a combat scene. Everybody's agreed on it so far, though the immortals have been surprisingly quiet about it.

A classless system, where you still can't learn a new skill without working hard on it and submitting logs to the staff.

Role-playing a fighter type without being able to role-play fighting usually ain't worth the trouble. Give us the "strike" command.

Quote from: "Avril"In order of "integrability" (as in, how likely staff members are to work on it):

Better yet, a "strike" command, which would play out exactly one round of combat, with the regular start-of-combat delay. This has been discussed a whole lot, and would allow people to actually role-play a combat scene. Everybody's agreed on it so far, though the immortals have been surprisingly quiet about it.

I pray. This is really just the *one* thing I want. Everything else is just meaningless. Work like the brawl code...but takes weapons into account.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

The Gaj needs a room for gambling.  A dartboard and a table for rolling dice.  Any tavern that caters to the warrior type persona would be wise to have such a room.

There is a price listing on the website for slaves.  Let us purchase them in game.  Heck, there's slave road, and an auction site, let us purchase them there.  Of course, you'ld have to put up a slave holding facility.  There are times when you don't want your slave standing right there beside you.   :twisted:

Flint, you can buy slaves.  Talk to a Borsail or a Winrothol...they have standards though, and rules as to who they can sell slaves to.  They'll tell you if you can buy a slave from them or not, as they do sell slaves in game.  I know that in recent years, there was a noble that sold quite a few slaves.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Some sort of player-level representation with immortals that constantly changes to evade favoritism. Players, even new ones, get to be on a council with five or so others and interface directly to the staff in discussions on changes in the game, issues, and things they would like to see.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

A kruth deck that has only 20 cards in it, you replace the cards in the deck by "put card deck." To prevent getting many of the same exact kind of cards.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

One: NPC delay.  Losing two chars in a row to this 'bug' is really discoraging.

Two:  The harshness question of arm, everyone ones to see the game more harsh and how is that then done?  More npcs are added that can kill us isntantly..?  Umm, in a perm death rp game I don't think it's nescciarily great that we can die in a matter of three seconds.  I'd like to see balance added to some of these uber mobs.

Lets talk mets.  A met is MUCH bigger than a person.  So.. that's like a ratio of what, ten times bigger? Fifty? One hundred (I haven't even touched on meks yet)  so what's my point? Sure they should be able to crush us in taht case but should they see us when they type look east and just rush over to do it?  Well let me ask you this, how easy is it for you to spot a field mouse?  OR to catch one for that matter?  YES ENORMOUS SIZE DOES HAVE IT'S drawbacks.  I'd like to see some of these implemented into the huge insta kill npcs.  Not make them weaker, but maybe give them a coded delay like a script to make them actually have to try and spot you and try and chase you and try and step on that pesky person that's smaller than they are.  I realize there isn't nessicarily a lot of cover, but from at most ten feet away a mouse almost looks like a rock on the ground to me in a flat area.  Harsh does not nessicarily = instant death abilitiy.  If you want a harsher game increase the cost of living such as water and food expenses, or make smarter ncps rather than bigger ones.

Just to say, the staff have done a great job of making our npcs more thinkers rather than raw killers and I love it, except they're not delayed so .. see want number 1.

When the character's health falls under 0 they should be stunned, meaning they can't move or fight anymore but they should still be able to speak and see.  Stun points should determine whether the person is consious, not heath  points.  This would make the final moment of your characters life very intense, if they could have one last exchange with their killer (and might also prevent the email, complaining deaths were out of character).  It could make for some good Rping, since it is hard while fighting to emote let alone come up with something to say, not to mention the fact that fights esspecially when one is a warrior, go real fast

My wish is for something that I think we can all contribute too.

More mount and room echoes.  Especially mounts.  Sometimes "The ~erdlu that @ is riding suddenly takes a humongous crap in the middle of the road." just feels too akward.

Miee is secretly in love with room echoes.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

Some ideas and wishes, nothing of breathtaking importance

[*] I love the possibility to attach emotes/more detailled descriptions of the actions taken to a few commands, like sit, stand, (drop is just wonderful) and others. I would love to see more of them, or, rather, to have the "emote action enabled" be the default wherever makes sense, is possible, and hopefully without harm. Get comes to my mind, and others. If a free emote is considered a too likely candidate for perusal, it would be great if at least a list of synonym verbs that can be exchanged for the default are allowed as option.
for example get -fetch/snatch/take/grasp <obect> <container>
[*] Have a few more things allowed during sleep, such as the <weather> command, which would help to  avoid ridiculously inappropriate emotes when the weather has changed (such as still huddling under the onslaught of that furious sandstorm when it's dead calm all of a sudden)
[*]Reading Miees idea for more mount echos - would it be possible to allow a player to make a mount he has hitched emote? Even if this were restricted to having the desc of the mount at the beginning of the sentence, it still would be great.[/list]
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

Bestatte wrote:
QuoteFIX them during the application process, then approve them for release.
Just wanted to note that, on a recent app I sent in late at night, the Imm reviewing it attached a note saying he/she fixed a few grammatical and spelling errors.
I greatly appreciated it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

FDMW - that is awesome. The IMM who did that, did a service to you (by fixing it without making you endure a rejection and rewrite and resubmit), to him/herself (by raising the bar on the attention given to applications), and to the rest of the player base (for not having to see the errors).

YAY to the IMM WHO FIXED DISGRUNTLED'S APP!

I'll second that motion for a deck of Kruth cards that limits the amount of cards in it.  As opposed to having to put the cards back in the deck (which I'm sure people would forget to do from time to time), perhaps just having a "shuffle" command that would restore the original quantity of cards left in the deck would suffice.

By limiting the amount of cards per each newly "shuffled" deck, it would seriously allow a few, dilligent players to actually be able to turn a profit by playing games of chance.

In addition, and partially spawned by a recent post in the Code forum, I'd kinda like to see merchants responding to offers based on the amount of items currently in their inventory.  Kinda like, "Hey, I already have twenty of those so I'm going to pay you less than I normally do," or "You want to buy my last piece of kank dung?  Well, there's been a huge call for it recently, so it's going to cost more."  It'd be a nice step to creating niches for a player influenced economy.
quote]
The one-celled, sultry amoeba says: "Oooh, baby. Yeah."
The one-celled, sultry amoeba moans in ecstasy.
The one-celled, sultry amoeba splits in half, shuddering with pleasure.[/quote]

My two biggest wishes are

a) rework NPC delay.  Do something about those insta-killer guards.

and

b) rework PC delay so that you can still emote, and maybe even talk, while recovering from your attempted backstab, disarm or whatever.  When you're surprise attacking someone it's very disappointing that you can't really flesh out the scene because you're choked up with skill delays.

On the subject of Delaying guards, allowing more leniency with players to get away with crimes in cities might help the overall enjoyment of the players that are forced to not ever leave the city and create more overall conflict.  

Possibly delaying the wanted flag going up or a small chance it doesn't go up at all.  The delays and chances would change depending on what location of the city you are in.  

Take for example the commoners quarters, if two people start fighting with their fists there, bet the reaction there is gather around and start taking bets on who will win, after a while the soldiers might come in to break it up but doubt anyone is going to go crying to a templar.  Most poeple won't give a shit if two fecks are killing each other, the rest won't want to get involve, people fear templars they don't want to deal with. Also, ICly  if i find out you sent me to jail, i'll kill you.  Course the reaction would be different if they start fighting with weapons of mass destruction or if they are fighting in front of soldiers themselves or infront of the nobles favorite tavern.

Also we should be able to commit crimes in apartments without getting wanted like we would in estates.  Those walls seem pretty thick, doubt anyone would hear a fight ensuing, even if they did they are probably too busy kanking a new whore he/she found to really care.

It might help if soldiers get coded a new skill only they would have, exactly like subdue only that it works 100% of the time however if the person struggles (types flee self), they would be immediately released and the killing would begin.  It might be easier to do this then split up the no-saves into different catagories.

Also it were slightly easier to get way from soldiers if the crime flag went up, might me more fun to be part of the militia this way and go around hunting thoughout the city, questioning people, searching through dark allyways for a criminal.

Player involvement.  Fact is, NPCs are only NPCs.  They really can't add that much "danger" in game.  If players want danger then allow PCs to bring danger to the game.  

Unrealistic role-play to extend the life of characters. Nobles with super-killer NPC guards (not using actual PC guards), people who make sure to notice every single thing about an attacker or thief, PCs who forget their place or want to buck the system of hierarchy, these are all things that actually take danger out of the game.  

Mind over matter. Part of being scared is allowing yourself and your character into situations you –think- are much worse than in reality.  

Creativity.  Less death.  It seems to me so many times death is option number one, very few characters get to live long enough to become afraid.  Beatings, cutting off a few fingers, blackmail, enslavement, banishment... these are but a few of the creative things that can happen instead of death.  All of these ideas let the character live and adapt to the harshness.  

Rework the clans.
Each clan needs clear definition. The helpfiles and documentation on these clans are amazing!  Yet, in game most of the houses all seem to blur together.  By focusing in on the differences (making sure there are differences) in each house and clan, we actually build up the diversity in the game.  Again, I'm all for caps on the number and types of PCs who join each house and clan.

Each clan needs clear direction.  I'm not even in business, but I know every business needs good and clear goals.  By answering the questions (ooc time, lets say every month) "What do we want?  When do we want it?" will give clear direction and time frame to plot lines.  Advancement needs to be well laid out and happen.  Part of the stagnant feeling of the game is do to the fact that it takes so long OOCly to get promoted.  What we are left with are only a few PCs at the top who probably have burnt out players, and a bunch of "new" members at the bottom of the hierarchy with nothing to do and no say in the clan.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Either alter emotes so that they can only be seen by people who can see the emoter, or add an hemote/pemote/semote/whatever other variation you want to name the command that has that effect.

Updated criminal code.  I know it is unlikely, but this is a wishlist after all :)

Something about magickers.  However you slice the issue, if people have the idea OOC that magickers are pushovers in a fight, then many of those people will be either consciously or unconsciously influenced to treat magickers as "weak."  Roleplayed fear is great and all, but I think there is value in backing that up with some code.  There've been numerous suggestions on how exactly to do this, but instead of rehashing them, I'll just note that I'm in favor of whatever the simplest solution to code that solves the problem is.

Atlatls.  Wouldn't those be neat?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]