The best description. Ever.

Started by Reverend Jeff, September 03, 2004, 06:38:53 AM

Okay.  I just saw this a second ago and I'm still getting a good giggle out of it.

QuoteCovered with slime, mucus and who knows what, this handful of dark greenish-brown feces doesn't look particularly appetizing.  It has a mushy consistency, but it is not consistent throughout.  Some parts are hard while others are wet and stringy.  It gives off a rank odor as well.

Because, you see, this particular piece of crap doesn't look particularly appetizing.  As opposed to most feces I find laying about.  Man, am I bummed.

Heh.  Kudos to whoever wrote that description.  You made me laugh on an otherwise fairly boring jaunt through the city.[/quote]
quote]
The one-celled, sultry amoeba says: "Oooh, baby. Yeah."
The one-celled, sultry amoeba moans in ecstasy.
The one-celled, sultry amoeba splits in half, shuddering with pleasure.[/quote]

Thanks!  I wrote that object.  Go on, try eat it.  I dare you.

Actually, my first thought was, "Hmm... I wonder if I could throw this at someone."  And then I thought about eating it.

Doh! I wonder if I could craft it into some type of food!
quote]

Hamburgers?

Behold, an attempt to steer the thread away from OOC chatter:
Does anyone find it jolting that there's humour in room and object descriptions? What if you were in a dark scene involving that object and getting murderously smothered by your character's childhood pal?

Should descriptions be dry, to the point, and nothing but facts?

It depends on the object.

If I was looking at the ceremonial dagger that elf was holding to my throat and it had some silly reference in it, I could find it jarring.

With more regular (but not everyday; jokes can grow old) items, however, such as some masks, codpieces or food/drink (in either regular or in eat/taste messages), I think it's welcome and entertaining. :)
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

From what I have seen, we have a very good balance.  There are really very few descriptions that add that sparkle of wry humor, and I haven't seen any corny ones yet, which would annoy me.

I am pretty pleased by the balance.

And as to the question of the a tragic demise, with that putrid lump of feces as the last thing your eyes beheld... I think, in moderation, such rare "flavor" text could be a powerful touch of irony.  IMHO.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

The humor in that particular item was an accident.  I didn't realize how funny it was until Rev. Jeff pointed it out.

And yes, I agree that this humor, amongst other tones, should be used in moderation.

Ah, you know, even though I find it particularly funny, I really don't think it detracts from anything in the world at all.  One of my favorite things about Arm is that a lot of the descriptions have a certain amount of "flavor" to them.  It didn't strike me as funny in a bad way, just that one of the last ways in which I expected a piece of feces to be described was as unappetizing.  In all seriousness, it struck me as rather innovative.
quote]