Re: Nomads from "Ask the Staff"

Started by crymerci, August 21, 2004, 06:45:28 PM

I think what the original poster was getting at, is that if you want to speak bendune fluently, you generally have to pick the nomad subguild, which prevents you from picking a subguild with other skills your character might have.  For example, you cannot be a tinker AND speak bendune.

I think the nomad subguild provides three skills (including Bendune), and while it's an interesting assortment, it does mean that you are a bit restricted.

In the past, I've thought that perhaps it would be useful to have more non-city starting locations, at least one in the tablelands which would give anyone who pointed there automatic Bendune, as well as setting the tribal accent for other languages.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "crymerci"which would give anyone who pointed there automatic Bendune, as well as setting the tribal accent for other languages.

Any human, I suppose that should say, as bendune is only a language of human tribes.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I agree - with a minor limitation:

Anyone wishing to play a -coded- tribal clan PC should automatically come with the language of that tribe.

The reason for the limitation - I've seen way too many people create tribal characters who get themselves to a city first chance they get and take employment with a city-based clan.

If you wanna play a tribal, play a tribal. If you wanna play a city character, play a city character. Each has opportunities to visit the other, but it looks really dumb for (for example) an Al Seik to show up in Allanak and join the Atrium to be an aide to Janie Salarr.

Obviously there are exceptions and totally valid reasons for certain characters to end up some place they didn't start out. But I'm talking about the ones who do this intentionally from the get-go. You don't have to pretend interest in being a tribal PC just so you can justify picking the nomad subclass. And nomad isn't the only subclass that comes with Bendune.

As long as you're willing to trade sirihish for bendune, sure.

Otherwise, deal with it.  Subclasses are generally little more than an annoyance.
Back from a long retirement

Two subclasses for everyone!  :D

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

There's another subguild besides nomad that gets Bendune and as far as I've been able to tell gets it perfectly.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

subclasses are the opiate of the masses!
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

If you are making a non coded tribal, ie a human tribal that is not a member of one of the camps or is not anyali or any of the other various tribes, then the only way to get the accents you want is by chosing nomad.

However, if you do apply for a position in one of the sponsored clans (for lack of a better word there) be it gypsy, anyali, seik, arabet  or Jul Tavan (which went live as of yesterday and are now going to be open to pc's), then the staff member who is working with that clan normally will try and work with you.

I know for the Al'Seik, Arabet and Jul'Tavan, I have agreed to give Bendune but at the cost of lowering your starting sirihish skill. If you want to be fluent in the tribe's tongue because you grew up there, then you will not speak the tongue of the "outsiders" as well. Yes, you can regain the skill in time but that is the decision I came to.

So, bottom line is, there is always room to discuss things and many times, these problems are handled on a case by case basis so that the players involved are not given cookie cutter treatment but are given the chance to have input and impact on their developing pc.

Mekeda

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"As long as you're willing to trade sirihish for bendune, sure.
This is how I feel.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"As long as you're willing to trade sirihish for bendune, sure.
I think the staff (that can do that, not all can) would be willing to do that without much trouble. I had an allundean speaking HG once (it made sense with his background), something like trading bendune completely for sirihish (IMO) is perfectly fine (if the background makes sense).