Food for thought, I mean, c'mon look at yourself

Started by Trenidor, June 06, 2004, 12:55:16 AM

Ah HA!

I've had this in my head a while, pondering on it every so often...

Since metalics are rare, that would mean there aren't any fancy mirors like we have now. We do though....have glass....

Glass is somewhat transparent though, so you wouldn't get a good picture of yourself. So, it would be harder to look at yourself and make yourself all "pretty".

In conclusion, you can't be pretty if you don't have a pocket full of coins.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

glass + blackbackground = mirror

Plus, you can still be pretty without having every hair in the perfect right place. It would be hard to shave your face without a mirror.

Of course, without metal, it's hard to shave at all. Which is why my char has a beard. How do you explain shaving, you clean-shaven males?

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Of course, without metal, it's hard to shave at all. Which is why my char has a beard. How do you explain shaving, you clean-shaven males?

Obsidian razors, or natural beardlessness.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yes, pretty is bad, harsh is good.

We get it already.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I'd say there is good reason for races developing hairlessness.  You have no need for it to keep you warm.

Quote from: "wizturbo"I'd say there is good reason for races developing hairlessness. You have no need for it to keep you warm.

That's a common misconception.  People don't have hair on their bodies for the purpose of warmth -- otherwise they'd have grown fur.  Ever wonder why arabic people are so damn hairy despite their origins with the desert?  The hair acts as a filter for all the abrasive sand.  Hairlessness on Zalanthas is a mutation, and Zalanthas hasn't always been a desert world.  In fact, it probably hasn't been desert long enough for humanoids to evolve to match the climate quite yet.  That takes tens of thousands, even millions of years.

there are razor objects in the game, I don't think it's such a big deal to be clean shaven.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"
Quote from: "wizturbo"I'd say there is good reason for races developing hairlessness. You have no need for it to keep you warm.

That's a common misconception.  People don't have hair on their bodies for the purpose of warmth -- otherwise they'd have grown fur.  Ever wonder why arabic people are so damn hairy despite their origins with the desert?  The hair acts as a filter for all the abrasive sand.  Hairlessness on Zalanthas is a mutation, and Zalanthas hasn't always been a desert world.  In fact, it probably hasn't been desert long enough for humanoids to evolve to match the climate quite yet.  That takes tens of thousands, even millions of years.

Well, if you want to get realistic, evolution is not over the course of millions of years in instances of mass extinction.  A certain very small percentage mutates to survive harsh changes, and rest dies, what remains repopulates the land.  Genetic evolution in only a few generates.

But anyway...

Hair in certain instances also functions to wick moisture away from crucial spots on the body, it denotes the location of genitalia, and it keeps the head warm. It also functions as a sensory system for us, allowing us to feel wind. I'd also believe that the reason why some are very hairy in warm climates is to reduce damage from long exposure to UV in combination with skin pigment.