Disengage

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2003, 06:32:36 PM

I'd like to know how an npc who attacked a group of people mangaged to disengage from one pc and attack another in the middle of the fight?
As far as I know you cannot disengage if your the main fighter (Which the npc was.)
Also it so happens that the npc turned on a char who happened to be the least experienced char, how would the npc know this?
Just have to ask, seemed really twinkish to me.

Change target.

When fighting two people at once, you can change target to the other person. This makes the original target the support fighter and the new target the main target (so he can't disengage without fleeing).
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

Change target eh? Thanks never even heard about it until now.

change opponent <keyword>
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Does this also work in the same way that the follow command works?  Say, for example you're sparring with someone and want to back out of the fight...
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

"Disengage" allows you, if you're not the two main fighters in a fight, to back away.

If you're sparring a buddy, one on one, you must type 'Flee'
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Darn!  I was hoping for something besides fleeing.  It just doesn't seem right for one person to run as if his or her life was at stake when you're only sparring.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I've seen people just ignore it and RP as if they just stopped fighting.  Sometimes including emotes to that effect when they move back to the sparring room.

It be interesting if there was the option to flee, as it is now and an option to retreat, which would allow you to disengage even if you are the person being attacked.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

But what would it do? All the person thats fighting you to stop attacking? And if you did disengage when in a group, what would decide who the person would go after first? And if it's a PC that you disengage from?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Actually...I heard a rumour, once.

If both parties type 'Disengage' at the exact same time, the fight would stop.

Can anyone back this up?  Morgenes?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Know how difficult that would be even if it was true?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I highly doubt it is even possible. Things are sequential on the mud so there is no two things happening at exactly the same point in time.

Quote from: "Plazgoth"I highly doubt it is even possible.
Actually, if you've ever looked at diku code, combat was handled via positions (eg., standing/resting/sleeping/etc) and pointers.  I imagine you've seen Whatever is fighting someone who has already left. on another mud, or felt a hit after you've fled..?

..So person_a is set position_fighting (fighting->person_b), person_b is position_standing, (fighting->none), gone.  

Given that a successful hit initiates your victim's fighting (eg., sets their pointer), presumably, if disengage resets position & fighting-pointer, and the fighting is checked each round, if both people disengage before the next round (or next successful hit), the combat ceases.

I'm not saying the above follows on Arm, but that's how it'd be possible.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

i thought disenage only works if you 'Assist' a person and want to back out. But I wasnt sure.

Nah, disengage works in a few ways. Two people are already fighting, you can attack them and then disengage so long as they don't change opponent to you. You can assist someone and then disengage so long as they dont change opponent to you, and finally if two people are fighting, and you attack one, and the person who is being attacked by the person your attacking flees, you can disengage before you hit them or attack them again and it will stop the fighting. Confused yet? Its easier to explain if you draw it out.

*'*   ---- those two are fighting....

*'*'* ----- you join in on the end....

*----*'*----- the person who you aren't attacking from the first fight flees

*'* ---- if you disengage right away you will stop the fight between you and the other person from continuing. It has to be before you throw an attack in though.

Just so long as your not the target of an attack you can disengage from a fight, easiest way to put it I think.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.