PLEASE PARTICIPATE: Plot Satisfaction Survey

Started by Taven, September 03, 2016, 12:49:09 AM

September 03, 2016, 12:49:09 AM Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:57:02 AM by Taven
Hi guys,

You can take the survey by clicking here.

It will ask your opinions on a variety of types of plots, how satisfied you are with your ability to pursue them, and how satisfied you are with your support to pursue them (both PC and staff support). There is also a section for you to elaborate on your thoughts at the end, in a non-IC specific way.

If you want to discuss your opinions, good or bad, please feel free to use this thread.

Here are the definitions of what is in the survey, if you find it helpful:

Large world-changing plots: Typically something that has more ripple effects. Historically, any sort of war between cities would quality here. Things which affect multiple locals might apply here. Things which have a definitive lasting impact, that would make the history page or alter documentation.

Small world-changing plots: Admittedly, this has a wide range. Generally, this would involve something small changing a local area. Perhaps adding a new shop in an area, securing a minor treaty, or progressing to an MMH (which feels bigger, but in the scheme of things is not).

Small cross-clan relations plots: Smaller relationships between clans. Could be positive, such as arranging joint sparring or patrols. Could be negative, like playing a prank on a rival house. Think small-time political.

Small personal plots: Achieving small personal goals. For example, this could be getting an item, exploring a place, or other personal goals.

Entertainment plots: Putting on events to entertain. For example, this could be large-scale Fale festivals or hosting Arena events.

Personal relationship plots: Something related to your relationships with others, be they friends, lovers, or so on.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I realize I forgot to add your clan status for ranks, so I adjusted that.

I know we may not have as robust answers for that part. If you already answered, you should be able to go back and edit.

Sorry guys, thanks for the patience.

Some context would be nice. What is the difference between a large and small world changing plot?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Yeah this felt very cookie cutter and like a robot call from Hillary. Whassup?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

It's good data for staff. That's the whole point of a survey. They want to know if it's worth the effort to work on these sorts of things. What sorts of problems players run into etc.

Thing is, I still don't know what the difference between a small world changer and a big world changer. I'm not even sure what qualifies for world changing at this point.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 01:08:55 AM
Some context would be nice. What is the difference between a large and small world changing plot?

I'll just briefly outline my thoughts on everything, to be clearer:

Large world-changing plots: Typically something that has more ripple effects. Historically, any sort of war between cities would quality here. Things which affect multiple locals might apply here. Things which have a definitive lasting impact, that would make the history page or alter documentation.

Small world-changing plots: Admittedly, this has a wide range. Generally, this would involve something small changing a local area. Perhaps adding a new shop in an area, securing a minor treaty, or progressing to an MMH (which feels bigger, but in the scheme of things is not).

Small cross-clan relations plots: Smaller relationships between clans. Could be positive, such as arranging joint sparring or patrols. Could be negative, like playing a prank on a rival house. Think small-time political.

Small personal plots: Achieving small personal goals. This could be getting an item, exploring a place, or other personal goals.

Entertainment plots: Putting on events to entertain. This could be large-scale Fale festivals or hosting Arena events.

Personal relationship plots: Something related to your relationships with others, be they friends, lovers, or so on.

Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 01:10:15 AM
Yeah this felt very cookie cutter and like a robot call from Hillary. Whassup?

If you have constructive feedback to offer, please feel free to elaborate. What questions frustrated you, what questions do you feel would be more useful?

I found that little guide to be helpful. You should add it to the first post.

Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 01:23:23 AM
I found that little guide to be helpful. You should add it to the first post.

Done.  :)

is it black mail? I hope it's black mail

(PS: mine's the one where every answer is "fuck magick")

I feel like staff and players are more than willing to help along plots. But when it comes to making a permanent mark on the game world you tend to have more hoops to jump through. These hoops tend to keep me from pursuing them, but I also don't think these hoops are particularly difficult to jump through, maybe just a little tedious. I'm just lazy and can find plenty of fun in simply playing through a story, regardless of the effect it has.

Fuck hoops. I have a game to play.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Yam on September 03, 2016, 03:41:44 AM
What do you plan to do with the results?

I'll probably leave the poll open about a week. So far we have a pretty good number of responses; 29 people have taken the time to go through the poll so far (though I believe one person accidentally submitted their answers twice).

After that, I'll close out the poll and take a look at sifting through the data to make it presentable. Then I'll share with everyone the findings.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 03, 2016, 03:43:11 AM
is it black mail? I hope it's black mail

(PS: mine's the one where every answer is "fuck magick")

I was amused that two comments appeared in this order, from you and some other poll taker:

• Fuck Magick
  • It feels like getting anything with magick done is like pulling teeth.

Done.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 01:13:56 AM
It's good data for staff. That's the whole point of a survey. They want to know if it's worth the effort to work on these sorts of things. What sorts of problems players run into etc.

Thing is, I still don't know what the difference between a small world changer and a big world changer. I'm not even sure what qualifies for world changing at this point.

Is it good data? It seems rather vague.

I think everyone will agree they like 'plots', I guess some could enjoy more of one than the other.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 04:23:13 PM

I think everyone will agree they like 'plots', I guess some could enjoy more of one than the other.

I've already asked you once to elaborate and be constructive. Any survey can have improvements, and this one is no exception.

Simply saying "it seems vague" and "it feels very cookie cutter and like a robot call from Hillary" is not at all helpful.

You want a better survey? Then actually make some suggestions.

September 03, 2016, 05:59:46 PM #18 Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:03:27 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: Taven on September 03, 2016, 04:31:08 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 04:23:13 PM

I've already asked you once to elaborate and be constructive. Any survey can have improvements, and this one is no exception.

Simply saying "it seems vague" and "it feels very cookie cutter and like a robot call from Hillary" is not at all helpful.

You want a better survey? Then actually make some suggestions.

My only suggestion would be to state upfront what the purpose of the survey is, or the possible intention of the survey. That's all.

For instance, while I think your intentions are pure, having this 'data' out there could be used against Staff, if they are doing one sort of plot, and then people are like 'But look at this data, we as a player base clearly want -this- other kind of plot, not the plot you are pursuing'. Similarly, the vague data request could perhaps be enhanced with examples. Would you prefer a plot like the Bat Dungeon Crawl RPT in Tuluk? Did you participate in this RPT? What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? Would you prefer a plot like the Deluge RPT? Did you participate in the RPT? If so, what did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? Did you participate in the Tablelands RPT? etc.

Making it less multiple choice and cookie-cutter in that way may provide more insight into what worked and didn't work with certain RPTs. That'd be information i'd find useful myself, or interesting at least.

Opinions are like elbows and what-fore...Everyone has one. I know that lots of people prefer one type of plot to the other. But i'm curious how that will help a Staffer or even a player.

Anyways, it isn't a big deal, but I wasn't trying to pick a fight. You cool, Taven.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Taven on September 03, 2016, 03:14:29 PM
29 people have taken the time to go through the poll so far (though I believe one person accidentally submitted their answers twice).

I filed a second survey on behalf of a Friend, though their answers were different from mine and shouldn't appear identical. Unless it's like, giving you the IP address of the submitter or something.

Quote from: Taven on September 03, 2016, 03:16:21 PM

I was amused that two comments appeared in this order, from you and some other poll taker:

• Fuck Magick
  • It feels like getting anything with magick done is like pulling teeth.

A good deal is the one everyone is disappointed in.

Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 05:59:46 PMMy only suggestion would be to state upfront what the purpose of the survey is, or the possible intention of the survey. That's all.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your thoughts, I appreciate it.

I was interested in seeing the data on how Armageddon's playerbase felt about our ability to pursue plots. Of course, there's a lot of different types of plots. Not everyone wants to pursue the same type of plot and not every type of plot needs the same level of support or the support from the same people (be those people other PCs or staff).

I thought it was worthwhile to see how we're doing with things. If something is going really well, I wanted a survey that would reflect that. If something wasn't going well, it would be important to know about that. The only way to fix something is to know it's a problem.

The topic is a pretty big one, though. There's probably ways the survey could be improved even just as what it is. For example, it only has three options for satisfaction levels. A more robust survey would probably have five (very satisfied, satisfied, neutral, mildly dissatisfied, dissatisfied), as this might better reflect things. However, even allowing that there's ways it could be better, I think it should provide a lot of interesting data.

QuoteFor instance, while I think your intentions are pure, having this 'data' out there could be used against Staff, if they are doing one sort of plot, and then people are like 'But look at this data, we as a player base clearly want -this- other kind of plot, not the plot you are pursuing'.

In terms of data that could be "used against staff", I think that if people are going to have negative opinions about staff and what plots are available, they're going to have them regardless of what this poll says. The only thing the poll enables is seeing first of all, if there's a significant portion of people that feel that way, and secondly, if there is, where they feel the issue is. I think that's something worth knowing.

There's also just a wide variety of different types of plots that people like pursuing. I don't think that we should cater only to the majority, but it is worth knowing where the majority is at.

QuoteSimilarly, the vague data request could perhaps be enhanced with examples. Would you prefer a plot like the Bat Dungeon Crawl RPT in Tuluk? Did you participate in this RPT? What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? Would you prefer a plot like the Deluge RPT? Did you participate in the RPT? If so, what did you like about it? What didn't you like about it? Did you participate in the Tablelands RPT? etc.

That would provide more insight into those specific instances, but there's also some potential drawbacks as well. Primarily, that focusing on specific RPT events may more heavily favor responses from combat-type PCs. Focusing on one singular event may also not consider the many resulting types of plots that spawned from one initial incident (the Deluge is an example).

It sounds like your ideal poll has a lot more opportunity to elaborate on personal experience. Why don't you create a thread where the successes or drawbacks of particular plots can be discussed? The only downside is that it's not anonymous like a poll would be, but the benefit is that those adding in their opinions would be able to interact and more fully flesh out the "picture" of a particular plot.

QuoteMaking it less multiple choice and cookie-cutter in that way may provide more insight into what worked and didn't work with certain RPTs. That'd be information i'd find useful myself, or interesting at least.

Opinions are like elbows and what-fore...Everyone has one. I know that lots of people prefer one type of plot to the other. But i'm curious how that will help a Staffer or even a player.

In terms of using questions about specific RPTs to make it more precise, I agree that it would definitely give insight as to how those particular RPTs worked. I also agree that some of that feedback might be translatable to other future RPTs. It's just something different then what the current data is looking at, which is primarily overall satisfaction or dissatisfaction for different plot types, and how PC and staff support (or lack there of) correlates.

I think the results of this poll could be beneficial to staff and players. Of course, this is just very basic data. If there is an issue with certain types of plots getting certain types of support from certain areas, then that doesn't delve into the whys of it, only the basic feelings that are there. The next step would be taking the results and delving in to the possible WHYS of what's working and what's not.

QuoteAnyways, it isn't a big deal, but I wasn't trying to pick a fight. You cool, Taven.

Mostly my frustration just comes from people not elaborating. If something is off, then the only way to address it is to elaborate and discuss. Then maybe it can be worked out, or at the very least, everybody has outlined their opinions and made some positive suggestions.

Thanks again for taking the time to expand on your thoughts.  :)

I'm curious if there is room for more non-combat RPTs as well, Staff sponsored at that. You are correct in saying most HRPT/RPTs of the nature I mentioned were combat oriented.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 03, 2016, 06:37:50 PM
I filed a second survey on behalf of a Friend, though their answers were different from mine and shouldn't appear identical. Unless it's like, giving you the IP address of the submitter or something.

You should be fine.

In the case I'm speaking of, the person actually identified in their comments that they had previously tried to submit and weren't sure if it went through. I'll just make a note of it so that data doesn't get counted twice.

Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 08:09:23 PM
I'm curious if there is room for more non-combat RPTs as well, Staff sponsored at that. You are correct in saying most HRPT/RPTs of the nature I mentioned were combat oriented.

Usually there's a connection between the two, it's just sometimes less obvious for non-coms.

Using two of your RPT examples:

The Tablelands Gith plot: Involved negotiations between various groups for varying level of assistance and coordination, giving it a decent slice of non-combat opportunity.

The Deluge: Lead to multiple building plots, lead to a large disease-curing plot, and set the tone in Tuluk for the next 20+ IC years.

I've noticed that in the past RL year or so, across multiple locals, staff has definitely upped some potential plots for non-coms, namely looking at negotiations, treaties, and deal-making. However, I would also say based on my personal observation that these plots are much, much less likely to come to fruition then combat plots.