Changes to draw/sheath and adding ready/stow

Started by Nathvaan, September 15, 2014, 08:39:45 AM

In short, this is a change to allow a character with the slight or hand skill to draw or sheathe a small weapon without being noticed. 

Also, emote parsing was added to draw and sheathe.

What it does:

• Ready is a Sleight of Hand (quiet) version of Draw
  • Stow is a Sleight of Hand (quiet) version of Sheathe
  • Added command emote parsing to Draw, Sheathe as part of this feature, since we're extending Draw and Sheathe with Ready and Stow

Key aspects of this feature:

• Allows a character with sleight of hand to quietly draw/sheathe weapons
  • Limited based on size like palm and steal, so one cannot quietly equip gigantic weaponry
  • Back location allowed because of the size limitation, this allows for actions like a small knife or sap being pulled out from behind one's back, etc
  • Delay is before, identical to steal/palm etc

As always, let us know if there are any bugs or issues via the request tool!

Man, Sleight of Hand is so cool now.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: Nathvaan on September 15, 2014, 08:39:45 AM
In short, this is a change to allow a character with the slight or hand skill to draw or sheathe a small weapon without being noticed. 

Also, emote parsing was added to draw and sheathe.

What it does:

• Ready is a Sleight of Hand (quiet) version of Draw
  • Stow is a Sleight of Hand (quiet) version of Sheathe
  • Added command emote parsing to Draw, Sheathe as part of this feature, since we're extending Draw and Sheathe with Ready and Stow

Key aspects of this feature:

• Allows a character with sleight of hand to quietly draw/sheathe weapons
  • Limited based on size like palm and steal, so one cannot quietly equip gigantic weaponry
  • Back location allowed because of the size limitation, this allows for actions like a small knife or sap being pulled out from behind one's back, etc
  • Delay is before, identical to steal/palm etc

As always, let us know if there are any bugs or issues via the request tool!

In my experience I thought sleight of hand allowed automatically silently drawing certain weapons anyways. Is this more so that there's a chance to actually catch them, than anything, codedly?

Were sheath objects looked at as part of this change? I don't know for sure, but some of them always seemed like they made it really easy to do a quiet draw. Like, you could do it with almost no sleight of hand skill. Kind of the same thing Saellyn is asking, except I thought it was certain objects that made this possible.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

As someone who plays way too many assassin/burglar/whatevers, this is super neat
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 15, 2014, 09:56:24 AM
Were sheath objects looked at as part of this change? I don't know for sure, but some of them always seemed like they made it really easy to do a quiet draw. Like, you could do it with almost no sleight of hand skill. Kind of the same thing Saellyn is asking, except I thought it was certain objects that made this possible.

This is what I meant. It was sheath objects that allowed a perfect silent draw no matter what.

Quote from: Cale_Knight on September 15, 2014, 09:51:18 AM
Man, Sleight of Hand is so cool now.

And more useful for the sneaky types!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

You know?  This is - excuse me - a damn fine change.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

No, it makes sleight of hand less of a godlike ability. You guys may not have seen it before, but if you had a sheath-like item and drew from it, if you had sleight of hand you would execute a silent draw where the other player would have NO IDEA that you just drew a weapon unless they looked at you. This seems like it's actually enabling a skill check to draw it secretly or not.

Quote from: Saellyn on September 15, 2014, 02:48:30 PM
No, it makes sleight of hand less of a godlike ability. You guys may not have seen it before, but if you had a sheath-like item and drew from it, if you had sleight of hand you would execute a silent draw where the other player would have NO IDEA that you just drew a weapon unless they looked at you. This seems like it's actually enabling a skill check to draw it secretly or not.

Yeah, but AFAIK many of these in-game sheaths aren't appropriate for things like saps and cudgels.  Also, previously you *had* to be wearing one of these sheaths to perform a silent draw - this frees up those wear locations that would be otherwise occupied.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

September 15, 2014, 04:20:37 PM #10 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:22:20 PM by palomar
Using the draw command with certain sheathes in combination with the sleight of hand skill still yields the old results.

You can't "ready" a weapon in your inventory. In my opinion, it should be possible.

You can't "ready" a weapon from inside a container. I'm good with that, this far. If "readying" a weapon in your inventory becomes possible, you could first use "palm" and then "ready", to have a chance of fetching and wielding a weapon silently from any container.

Edited to add: Awesome change!

and suddenly, nobody was willing to pay through the nose for a dinky leather sheath.

(Great change.)

OMFG, I LOVE THIS!!! YES!

... too bad I don't have slight of hand to play with it, STILL, fucking -wicked- cool.

And screw those horrendously expensive magickal sheath items. Not only do the rich need few advantages when it comes to this kind of crap, nor do magick sheaths make sense, nor do they make sense in a place like the rinth, they also make it so mastercrafting an item wit a sheath in it akin to digging a tunnel through a mountain. It never made sense to me at all. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Sheathes haven't been changed.

This code change just makes it possible to "ready" and "stow" small/light weapons on your belt or back.

And I hope provides skill checks for those moves so you can't silent-draw and not have a chance of getting caught doing it.

Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I love this idea, but I think 'sto' should default to 'stop' rather than 'stow.'

Awesome! Now Han Solo can shoot first again!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.