Topic to discuss the coded protections in the city-states.

Started by Nathvaan, June 30, 2014, 08:45:27 AM

"The physical city-states of Allanak and Tuluk will now codedly reflect the supremacy they enjoy versus unfriendly magickers acting against the city-states.  These changes reflect each city-state's general strengths against such odds.  If you should be in the know as a templar of either city-state, inquire with clan staff.  If you are intending to act against said defenses, find out IC.  If you notice anything that appears to be a bug, please file it in the request tool so that we may address it as soon as possible."

This topic is to discuss these changes, but understand we will not be addressing the specific protections granted in each of the city-states!  As one can imagine that is something that one would have to find out IC.

Good lord.. Not 24 hours ago I argued that Tuluk was codedly helpless, and now this happens. Awesome.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

What does this mean?  ???

Tuluk gicks can't harm Nakkis and vice versa?

Quote from: senseofeven on June 30, 2014, 09:20:30 AM
What does this mean?  ???

Tuluk gicks can't harm Nakkis and vice versa?

More like if you happen to be a magicker (regardless of where you are from), pitting yourself against a city-state in a coded fashion (i.e. casting spells) is going to result in a more realistic coded response (i.e., we are no longer required to animate heavily to provide what we on staff think is a realistic world response to these sorts of scenarios). 

However, it is quite a bit more complex than "lol, y u no cast?"
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Does this apply to just the city proper or the surrounding areas as well?

Has Luir's and Storm already got their preparations, or are these coming next?

Also, if this can be discussed, is Tuluk generally clueless but still points swords, or are they more like sudden mad dogs frantically trying to stamp out the threat? Both? I imagine traveler types like Byn would eventually know this difference, if any.
Quote from: Zoan on January 07, 2014, 02:29:56 PM
DEFENESTRATION DOESN'T SOLVE ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS, FRANCE.

Quote from: manonfire on June 30, 2014, 09:47:25 AM
Does this apply to just the city proper or the surrounding areas as well?

This is something that you would have to find out in-game.  It would probably be safe to say that if you're inside the walls of that city, you're inside the influence of that city.

Quote from: i like me some ham on June 30, 2014, 09:50:05 AM
Has Luir's and Storm already got their preparations, or are these coming next?

Nice try, Sand Lord.

Also, if this can be discussed, is Tuluk generally clueless but still points swords, or are they more like sudden mad dogs frantically trying to stamp out the threat? Both? I imagine traveler types like Byn would eventually know this difference, if any.

Neither.

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Utep%20Sun%20ClanThe authority of the Templarate is backed by the Sun King and the abilities of the mind and body that He grants His Faithful servants.

The actual coded response is something you can discover in-game, however.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Huh.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Will hidden magickers in the city states have to adjust their play in any manner?

What I specifically want to know (but may be unable to ask) is whether using magick in such a way that it won't provoke the crime code, still provoke these city defenses?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

a) will proper precautions against discovery make any difference whatsoever?

b) is this an added layer of challenge, or is this an instant-death scenario?

For example, I've had a gemmed mage using certain concealment abilities enter Tuluk; is this now impossible without meeting the mantis head?

What is there to discuss when you haven't told us anything?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Does this have anything to do with fixing the Crim Code from marking Gemmed Magickers as wanted in their own Temples when they cast an aggressive spell?  (I doubt it, but I'm being hopeful)
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

It seems like this is just a reflection of what would be in place ICly, but was not codedly. City-states shouldn't be frantically scrambling jet-fighters against every magick attack within their despotic sorcerer-king fortress. Sounds like this just updates the code to reflect the reality IG.

A few questions:
1. If magickers from say Allanak want to plan attacks against parties within/surrounding Tuluk and coordinate with Staff, will this still be possible?
2. Are these defenses impregnable or just 'really bad news' for anyone who wants to try something alone?
3. In other words, if a large force of magickers attempted malarky against Tuluk, could they potentially succeed?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I hope that this extends to more than just the act of casting.

For example, if one has obviously visible magickal effects about their body, strutting their stuff (probably unintentionally, but still) past all the NPC soldiers...something should kick in.

I also hope templars get a command so they can exempt a magicker from these protections kicking in, for a certain amount of time, if they need said magicker to do something for them.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Reiloth on June 30, 2014, 01:02:54 PM
It seems like this is just a reflection of what would be in place ICly, but was not codedly. City-states shouldn't be frantically scrambling jet-fighters against every magick attack within their despotic sorcerer-king fortress. Sounds like this just updates the code to reflect the reality IG.

Really? I had the opposite take away: that the City States will now scramble the fighter jets automatically, without needing an Immortal to jump in to Lord Templar Oldface and expend time and resources fireballing Amos Potter.

Every time I've seen magick being used in the Cities it's always pretty serious shit.

Quote from: Jingo on June 30, 2014, 12:35:24 PM
Will hidden magickers in the city states have to adjust their play in any manner?

If you've been playing a hidden magicker and have questions, you can ask via the request tool.

What I specifically want to know (but may be unable to ask) is whether using magick in such a way that it won't provoke the crime code, still provoke these city defenses?

Depending on the situation, perhaps so.  I would say it would be safe to use common sense.

For example, a gemmed mage in Allanak practicing their magick inside the city (in properly approved areas/etc just as before this change as you would IC)...they'll be fine.

A mage (gemmed or no) working their magick in Tuluk would be a dangerous scenario regardless.  The city has a marked aversion to magick and it has certain resources at its command to make sure magick is dealt with.  It will probably be harder to play a hidden magicker in Tuluk, but if you're already an enemy of Tuluk (such as an open mage, gemmed or otherwise, or defiler, or what-have-you), that probably doesn't faze you.

Quote from: Delirium on June 30, 2014, 12:35:41 PM
a) will proper precautions against discovery make any difference whatsoever?

Yes, taking proper precautions can make a difference.

Quoteb) is this an added layer of challenge, or is this an instant-death scenario?

Added layer of challenge.  If you wish to employ magick against either city-state then you now are facing what would be a codedly realistic reflection of that scenario.  It will probably be more difficult to play a "hidden magicker" in Tuluk, but still--not impossible.

Quote from: Dalmeth on June 30, 2014, 12:54:34 PM
What is there to discuss when you haven't told us anything?

The other questions mentioned here so far.

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on June 30, 2014, 01:00:53 PM
Does this have anything to do with fixing the Crim Code from marking Gemmed Magickers as wanted in their own Temples when they cast an aggressive spell?  (I doubt it, but I'm being hopeful)

I don't think this touches on that at all.

This is cool. I don't know what this is, exactly, but I know it's cool.

Unfortunately the majority of the changes to the code cannot be discussed in depth here on the GDB.  Just as we cannot discuss the in's and out's of lock picking and which situations may end with which results, we cannot discuss the IC details of these changes here.

Rest assured we are not putting in malicious code that will create insta-death situations.  We feel that the changes will more adequately represent the strength of the rulers in their respective cities. These are not meant to be new and sudden increases in power/attention/big brother etc scenarios from the Sorc Kings. 

"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I love the "find out IC" part.

Takes mage to Tuluk....Cast fireball dude...A giant white pyramid of sand appears and falls on your head...Welcome to Armageddon!

So...That is what happens.

Goes and makes assassin.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job