Sleight of Hand / Stealth update

Started by Tiernan, May 04, 2014, 08:39:25 PM

May 04, 2014, 08:39:25 PM Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:14:32 AM by Tiernan
This feature adds the commands "unlatch" and "latch".  It also makes unlatch/latch (open/close), palm/slip (get/put) and steal/plant all behave the same way through command emote parsing.

Key aspects of this feature:

• 'latch' will perform a Sleight of Hand skillcheck and perform a quiet 'close' if successful.  Targets include objects on self, in room, doors, and containers on others.
  • 'unlatch' will perform a Sleight of Hand skillcheck and perform a quiet 'open' if successful.  Targets include objects on self, in room, doors, and containers on others.
  • latch & unlatch use command emote parsing, just like close & open.
  • 'plant' now uses command emote parsing.
  • 'plant' updated to include targeting victim's containers, mirroring how steal does. (Darn near cut & paste implementation).
  • 'steal'' now uses command emote parsing.
  • Delays are now applied to 'slip', 'palm', 'unlatch', and 'latch'

Helpfiles have been updated and published.

OH shit!

Time for the yearly Pickpocket app!

Seriously though this makes people with packs not walking fort-knox's now. Which is nice.

Also command emotes for plant and steal is sick, but the idea of planting things IN peoples packs now is awesome.

NEATO.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Thank you!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Oh man! Now I wanna be a roguish type again.
:)
Not all who wander are lost
-Gandalf the Grey-
Quote from: Lizzie on November 09, 2018, 12:42:11 PM

But - would like to see random bits of brain matter among the pools of blood. That'd be cool.

Very happy to hear this!  Influx of sneaky types coming soon.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Wow thanks a lot now the paper-thin flap of leather on my backpack no longer serves as an impenetrable barrier against pickpockets

wait holy shit it works on doors too?

NOTHING IS SAFE ANYMORE

*begins continues PKing elfs on sight*

Ahhh, stealth overload.  Time to break out the "Rogues Do It From Behind" t-shirt.   :-*

Ermagerd.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Nice.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 04, 2014, 09:35:47 PM
NOTHING IS SAFE ANYMORE

*begins continues PKing elfs on sight*

*>steal sword Badskeelz*

So now we can check to see if people are wearing anything underneath those closed cloaks?

Time to go flasher hunting.

I saw the opening someone else's pack thing get abused so, so hard on another RPI that I'm kind of leery of this one. Then again, I habitually keep money in my characters' inventories and leave packs open, and nobody bothers stealing from them.

Will there be any defence against this from people who don't have the ability to see hidden people? Also, I hope it triggers crimcode.

I'm a bit leery of this change, and I hope that even a maxed Sleight of Hand won't allow it to succeed all the time. I don't want to see the entire bar have their packs opened, their cloaks opened and all their things taken without anyone noticing.

Nonetheless, we'll see how it goes.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

People will probably just stop rolling guilds and subguilds without scan.

I think it's fantastic that mundane skills are getting some love.

Pickpockets will probably be even more kill-on-sight than they were before.  :-\
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I'm fond of the change, because it brings realism. As long as the severity of a thief being more intrusive has been taken into account in the code, I'm all for it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Despite fears of abuse, I think this a good change.

Any 'Sneaky Type' character has to be about as intelligent as Hannibal Lecter when it comes to robbing people. The knowledge that you can/will break into homes or lift items from someone's person quickly gets around town, and if you are made, you are made. It is impossible to come back from that.

So I think the dumb criminals will be caught and black-listed, while you'll likely never know the good ones were even there. I would also hope that people with this sort of skill would be careful not to abuse it, lest they draw the ire of the powers that be.

And, as always, if you think someone is abusing code, a player complaint goes a long way. I've at least had mine 'noted' if not directly responded to as being pursued. I do not encourage people to play RP police when it comes to player complaints -- that is very subjective. But when it comes to someone walking into a bar and lifting a bunch of people's backpacks or spam peeking or stealing...It's worth letting Staff know, I think.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~