Merchant/Noble Marriage Document?

Started by Hicksville Hoochie, July 12, 2004, 09:55:48 PM

Curiosity has struck me, and I was wondering. Is there a full document anywhere on the site that details the process of contracted marriage between Nobles/Some Merchants anywhere? I've found a paragraph about it here and there, but nothing in detail.

Thanks.

It is a legal agreement between the two houses involved.  Period.  It all depends on the marriage, but is usually just a means to propogate both houses.  There could be exchange of goods or services involved in the marriage as well as some agreement on which family gets which children.  That is all anyone not involved in a marriage needs to know.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It was impressed upon me, two noble characters ago, that marriages amongst nobles in Allanak operate based upon the tier system.  Now, obviously marriages are for political contracts and never love, that much is certain.  But the idea I was fanatically reminded of is that a higher noble would never marry into a lower noble house (not even one notch lower, even within the same tier).   For to do so would be considered a grave insult.  Imagine the loss in stipend and drastic change in lifestlye due to a marriage agreement setup by your elders.  It is more than just insulting, it is punishment.  Though nobles are not subject to common law, they can suffer for various crimes.  For an upper tier noble to marry into a tier below his/her status would be reserved for a particularly heinous crime.  That is how insulting it is to marry DOWN.  An example would be that a Jal may be married into Kasix, but an Oash would never marry into Fale.  Up, yes.  Down, no.

Like many things, documented and not, this alleged custom doesn't appear to be respected across the board and, as far as I can tell, is not official.  But for what it's worth, the staff member handling the married noble I once played stressed the above testimony.  Since then, I've witnessed NPC nobles who, based on their IC actions/words, do not seem aware of this custom so who knows what's accurate and what's not.

As for merchants, it depends on the House.  House Kurac's marriage customs differ from House Kadius', for example, and I suspect the answer is not in public document format for a reason.  Dunno, really.

The only thing I can say with some confidence, is that nobles do not marry merchants, if that is what you are asking.  Family merchants are still very much common (they're just rich).

Are you sure that nobles never marry down?  If that's the case, how does Sath fill its gene pool?  They must all have the recessive geek gene, by now.

From what I understand.
Intermarriage (And interbreeding) is a very common thing. Almost 99% of House nenyuk's and house Kadius' have interhouse marriages (With children). And this applies to Noble houses also, I believe.
Sath keeps their batch filled with reject nobles of higher tier rejects :D.
IMHO
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Marriage is a business arrangement, not a reward or punishment for any noble. Whether or not they even like their fiance is of little concern to the houses arranging the union.

If a noble marries down into another tier, it likely reflects some sort of very advantageous business deal to the upper house.  When a lower noble marries out of their house to go upward, the advantage will still likely lie with the upper house.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

QuoteNobles do not marry commoners.

Merchant houses are many things, but they are still commoners.

The agreement you are looking for (sex between a noble and a merchant) is C-o-c-u-b-i-n-e  or  C-a-t-a-m-I-t-e.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Hehe,

I think a lot of you misread...

My question had nothing to do with Nobles marrying Merchants, or whether things are punishments or rewards...

I was simply asking if there was a document on the site that covered House marriages in detail.

Feel free to keep discussing though of course, the more reading the better.. :)

Personally I think that when the unpleasant recessive genes start becoming to prominant, a Lady may take things into her own hands.  It isn't like these are coddled middle-ages ladies with chastity belts, and they aren't modern women who have to fear blood typing or DNA tests revealing that the father isn't genetically the father.  So all she needs to do is find a horny fella with a superficial phisical resemblance to her hubby, preferably a guy that is a noble.  
A first-tier noble is even better, despite the fact that no one can ever know, because as a noble you believe that people with higher social status really are better.

Yeah, that's right, I'm saying those Jal chicks may be a little skanky.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Gorobei"Are you sure that nobles never marry down? If that's the case, how does Sath fill its gene pool? They must all have the recessive geek gene, by now.

I'm very much not sure, no.  I'm just saying what I was informed by a now retired staff member.  I agree it doesn't make all that much sense, considering lower Houses would not be able to fill their numbers.

But there's tons of customs and proceedures out there that are observed by some and not by others.  This is often the case when one staff member retires from a clan and a new one takes over.  Having played a couple Fale nobles in the past, I can say with some certainty that what the Fale concept was during one imm's "reign" was vastly different from the next.  It happens.

The details of one noble contract that I know of had the lower noble absorbed into the upper House, but the first child was to be given back to the lower House.

Quote from: "Gorobei"Are you sure that nobles never marry down?  If that's the case, how does Sath fill its gene pool?  They must all have the recessive geek gene, by now.

By boinking their slaves.
Back from a long retirement