Aerobic Excercize

Started by Trenidor, July 01, 2004, 09:48:25 PM

I was goign to put this on another topic but thoguht it might derail especially because of its size.

I'd like to see more stress put on arobic training IG...IRL, I'm willing to be that your average kenyan (these are humans) could take on your average D-elf and the race would be pretty close. (damn those guys are good). Say have a running/walking skill. Get rid of the garbage with stamina delf have now, and just set their movement skill to a really high point so their stamina is at normal for a delf (well, the stamina they have). You get like 1 point of movement skill every outside room you travel by foot, 2 by running. After 10000 points, you can upgrade to +1 stamina (woohoo!) That way, if you ran your whole life, this arobic training would allow you to have almost as good of a stamina as a delf. On the other hand, inside rooms could give like 1/2 point for running (or less) and 1/4 point for walking.
I sure would make those runnings searge makes you do more exciting ooc because you know getting in trouble has rewards of getting to take 5 laps around the city. Running! After around a year IG (or even less) of doing this, you'll see tons of results (like in real life...running 20 miles around town each day will bring loads of results.)

So anyway....Aerobic training = nice skill.

It would work along in conjunction with the other topic on stamina drain while fighting.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

emote it out, send the logs in to the mud.
request your staminda or whatever be raised and then they say no, do it somemore. That is my idea..

Because i could train my ass off and get fit in a couple weeks, and it only takes one week to wear off.. (Relative times) but I doubt the code could work for that.

I say no.
Aerobics skill? Hell no.. Bad.. I no like.

*derail*
Running and walking is not what "aerobics are all about," there is so much more to it then that... ok? Ok.

Definition:
aer·o·bics [ ai rṓbiks, ə rṓbiks ]

noun  

1. fitness exercises: an active exercise program done to music, often in a class

2. activities that speed up respiration: exercises, for example, walking, jogging, bicycling, and swimming, that increase respiration and heart rates

alright? Alright.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Are kenyans really comparable to the people of Zalanthas? Maybe a weak human...but a desert elf?

No way a Kenyan could touch a Delf.  No way.

I imagine that some horses IRL would have trouble keeping up with a desert elf, and no human could possibly catch up to them running.  

As for the aerobics skill, I would have to say no.  If you want your character to train that way with running, then that's fine, and you can send in the logs of your efforts in the application for a stamina increase.  This should not be a skill at all, as it is fairly pointless and highly prone to twinkage.  Those who do it enough could have insanely high numbers in their stamina, and that would be absolutely ridiculous.

Besides, the only people I see having to run like this are the elves and perhaps other nomadic peoples.  Humans already have the ability to ride, thus putting them on nearly equal footing with the elves in some cases.  People other than elves would need to stay in shape, but I imagine they could do that with methods yielding more substantial results, while being more practical.

Quote from: "Teleri"I imagine that some horses IRL would have trouble keeping up with a desert elf, and no human could possibly catch up to them running.  

Have you seen the Kenyans.....they run as fast as Race horses, and they can run as long as the horse can.

When the Summer olympics come in greece, make sure you watch the races.

Edited to add:
Ok, so maybe the aerobic skill is a little farfetched, it still would be neat if we could figure out a way to do something similar without staff help. Then it would be like: Whoa, last month year I had 89 stamina, now I have 90. I think it already does something like it, but I'm not going to go in detail of what I think in case I'm right. (I had to figure it out, you can too :wink: )
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I'd pay good money to see a human, Kenyans or otherwise, keep up with a race horse. Thoroughbreds can go past 15 m/s, a quarter horse could probably hit 20 m/s. I very much doubt anyone can get up to those kind of speeds for any amount of time.

The arobic thing leaves too much room for abuse...anyone can just do a couple of laps around some road, spam eat travel cake and drink waterskin, and then go back to laps.

I think this was a good idea to bring up, but I'm against it for the reason that it will encourage twinks to run around like mad.  I agree with the person who said to role play it and mail it to the staff, now that sounds like a good idea.

I like your reasoning, though.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

We don't know enough about Zalanthas to set odds on the race.

What is the altitude or atmosphere of the Known World?  High oxygen, low oxygen, or just like Earth at sea level?  Kenyans run like that because they live in a high altitude/low oxygen environment, so their bodies adjust to process oxygen more effectively -- that gives them a natural advantage over people living in high-oxgen environments.

What is the gravity on Zalanthas?  A popular theory is that gigantic insects and tall, weedy people are possible because the gravity is lower on Zalanthas.  If so, than Earth humans would, in general, be stronger than Zalanthan humans, in the same way that an Earth human would probably be stronger than a human raised on the Moon.  If the race was held on Earth those elves' light, slender bones might snap like twigs under the strain.  :twisted:  Race goes to the Earthling.

Another theory is that the bugs aren't really giagantic, because gigantic bugs are impossible.  The measurement conversions are all wrong, and a cord isn't really 15 inches, but more like half an inch.  So the bugs are normal size, bahamets are just normal sized tortoises, and the people are really tiny.  Barbie dolls or action figures are bigger than these people.  Race goes to the Earthling.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Actually, no horse can keep up with a human on the long haul.

Do the research if you don't believe me, but at the pace of a marathon run by humans, a horse would die.

On the thread topic, do the running, maybe turn review on, e-mail the mud, if they say no, continue doing the exercise double the time, email the mud etc.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

No no... I hate this but there would be too many people twinking.
Now we have sneak, eh? Have you ever met a d-elf sneaking away as you talk to him, answering his question? Even players with karma can't decide well sometimes. But a newbie with his second char who has played a H&S MUD for five years? I'm already bored of seeing people sneaking in, out, in, out, in, out of the tavern. I don't want to see people running in, out.... of taverns. I liked the idea. I really liked it. But I disagree just to decrease the spam on my monitor.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Another theory is that the bugs aren't really giagantic, because gigantic bugs are impossible.  The measurement conversions are all wrong, and a cord isn't really 15 inches, but more like half an inch.  So the bugs are normal size, bahamets are just normal sized tortoises, and the people are really tiny.  Barbie dolls or action figures are bigger than these people.  Race goes to the Earthling.

AC
THis is impossible, and only for the following reason. Zalanthan sand would have to be Earth's silt, which would make Zalanthan silt Earth's what?

:twisted:
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Cocaine?
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "Dirr"Cocaine?
It's not fine enough for silt on that scale.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

A pebble would be a massive boulder... a rut in a driveway would be the Shield Wall.

Actually, no. I bet Zalanthas is all contained in some kid's sandbox.

Where due to a gross miscalculation in size the entire fleet was eaten by a small dog?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
THis is impossible, and only for the following reason. Zalanthan sand would have to be Earth's silt, which would make Zalanthan silt Earth's what?

Even finer silt.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Allanak is a sandbox.
Tuluk is a rotted out trunk.
the allanak sandbox is near the beach but not next to it, where the salt flats are a dried pool and the beach is infested with trash.

just my idea :P
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.