Can you think of anything -bad- about arm?..

Started by ashjpd, May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Is there something that you REALLY dislike about arm?

A-Yes
55 (59.8%)
B-No
37 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Way to go Gilvar.

On the note of saturday, I disagree. It's nice that we're forced to take a day off from arm once a week.  Grudging as it maybe.  I think it makes players apprectiate the game that much more the other six days of the week.  Also I think gradually staff might be less inclined to work on saturday if the game was up all day.  Sorry staff, I think it's just human nature, and that we'd see fewer mud updates.

On the ooc note I think it would be much worse if you didn't have to act icly and sometimes screw yourself.  Beside that most people wouldn't screw themselves, the ones who do anyway are the truely good rpers.  I remeber one time my char had to do something like that, who was being tortured at the time.  You wouldn't BELIEVE the ooc harassment I endured from other people in my clan at the time for it.  Heh, but I learned my lesson.  . . Just don't talk to people oocly.

WarriorPoet Wrote:
Spending a fistful of coins on a mug of ale, taking one drink, and then being forced to shell out another fistfull of coins for a mug of ale, only to take one drink and then have to shell out another fistful of coins for ONE FUCKING DRINK OF ALE.

I can buy a forty oz at the store downt he street for 2$, a mug of beer at the bar or a six pack from the grocer AND I can drink the shit all day long.

Yes, but in the post industrial nations of Earth, clean water is in fairly plentiful supply, as are the means of growing hops and barley, producing malt and all the other ingredients that go into a good ale.
Beer and ale is cheap here because the means of producing it are fairly cheap and plentiful.

In Zalanthas...the story is quite different.  Even food isn't in plentiful supply unless you have the coin to get it.  My current PC is employed and makes a fair amount of 'sid over a year.  But if he were to 'eat out' every meal at a tavern, he would be a broke muthafucka in no time.

Food products aren't cheap in Zalanthas because the means of producing them aren't cheap....and most of those means are owned by a powerful despot of some sort.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Quote from: "Zore"
Quote from: "Dead Newbie"Shiny advanced web pages often lead to shitty RP.
Oh gee... I've seen a lot of shitty RP on Arm, so simple web pages must lead to shitty RP, too.

Or maybe web page look has nothing to do with the RP the MUD contains.

I'm sure you would see a lot more good roleplay if you paid attention to the game more than 20% of the time you are logged in. And other players would be less frustrated and more willing to interact with you.

Wow - Aramaku inspired me to post something I don't like.

Now, we ALL have our days, hours, moments, when we don't feel like interacting but still wanna be logged in. We're all a bunch of freaks that way, right? Right. So okay - we find ourselves a nice quiet little corner of the game and idle for awhile, tab back and forth while reading the GDB, jack off to pr0n, whatever - while still keeping an eye on the game screen "just in case." That's all kosher as far as I'm concerned.

But the players who are doing all that other stuff WHILE they are interacting with other people just make me wanna hurl - sharp objects in their direction. Especially when they're in a hunting party. I mean dood - we're out in the dangerous place with the nasty critters, and you don't even have your weapon out. PAY ATTENTION if you're gonna be involved in stuff. Otherwise, bow out gracefully, come up with an excuse to go somewhere else. I, for one, -promise- I won't be upset if you'd rather watch TV or have supper or get laid during our hunting expedition. Just don't do it WHILE you're hunting, please? I can barely cover my own ass, I'm not all that intersted in trying to cover yours too simply because you're not watching the screen.

Well that's my rant about something I don't like about Arm. Some of the lack of interaction on behalf of the players, during interactive moments.

Again - I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT referring to people who aren't involved in something at the moment. I am ONLY referring to people who are, and choose to chat in IRC or post on the GDB or whatever the hell else they're doing instead of -being- their interactive selves with the characters they're supposedly interacting with.

That reminds me of a time where I lost my 50+ days old desert elf a few years ago, because the one who I was with felt like watching TV instead of keeping an eye on my poor elf while he was taking on an army of beasties by himself.. Let's just say that I'll never forget that person, my d-elf and the way they both died (At least to make it fair, she also lost her many many days old ranger too ;).

Yes, after all these years I still remember you and that death, and you know who you are.. *g*

So idling and not paying attention while in a RP situation -is- Eevile.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Gesht"As for "pull reins", I think that was disbanded to make way for the CHARGE skill.

No, the exact message you get is:

"Temporarily unavailable due to abuse."

(If you try it on a mount that never had the ability you get a message about not having that weapon.)

"Temporarily unavailable" implies it is comming back some day, I live in hope.  The first time I saw the awful message I wrote the mud, here is an exerpt from the return email:

QuoteTemporarily meaning until someone has time to fix it.  This is, obviously, a very low priority item compared to bugs that crash the mud, corrupt pfiles, and hinder the boot process.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin

Charge does not make this redundant.  Charge relies mostly on being a skilled rider, while in contrast pull reins relies mostly on having a trained combat mount.  It wasn't something pack animals (kanks) could do, so it gave people interested in mounted combat a reason to buy a combat mount.  
Having everyone from the highest noble, to the lowest mercenary, to independant merchants, smugglers and grebbers all riding the Zalanthan equivilent of pack mules really bugs me.  (No pun intended.)  But in the end most people go for the animal with the most coded advantages.  Trained gwoshis, Ratlons, Sunbacks, warbeetles and maybe even erdlus should be prefered by fighter-types, but everybody rides kanks because kanks will carry you the farthest without needing a rest.  Allowing combat trained animals to do something helpful in combat makes sense, and encourages people to choose combat mounts for combat activities.  I don't think combat mounts should actually join in as a full fleged combatent, because riding a creature that is fighting for it's life would be hard, but they can do  something.  

Charge is great for large mounts, but it doesn't make much sense to try to get your erdlu or sunback to trample a wild inix.  But erdlus and sunbacks are fierce fighters, and could occasionally be encouraged to take a swipe or peck at your enemies.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins