Memote or mdesc.

Started by jhunter, April 17, 2004, 05:42:57 PM

Quote from: "Nadav"
Quote from: "Angela Christine"On the other hand, if you do this using aliases yourself, then you can set 4 similar but slightly different movement emotes, one for each direction.  That gets the message accross while allowing a little variety.  

AC

In fact.. you can even have it randomly select from a list of predefined movement emotes if you'd like. I don't do this, but it could be coded fairly easily on the client's side.

Well I think it is a good idea to have something like this on the server, but this a fair suggestion as well. I'm defiantely going to put something like this together on my end. However, not everyone is a programmer...further more...not everyone has a good client that supports this stuff.

For instance if I was to log in from a computer other then my home machine I would have to replicate this programming...which is a pain in the neck.

Quote from: " Delirium"Oh don't get me wrong, in the examples I quoted above, you COULD toggle the voice strings off.. but people would totally forget and just leave them there.

That's why I think it's simply better to manually emote how you are speaking, acting, or how the dying rays of the setting sun are glimmering off your bronzed tresses as you dramatically place a wrist to your forehead and swoon.

Because toggleable or no, people WILL forget when they have a voice or movement string set. Trust me on this one. <g>

I agree here in terms of voice emotes...but it's almost apples and oranges. If i want to create a character with a limp, or a noble who as a proud stature....and a hunchback...all of these things could be reflected well with an mdesc, and I wouldn't have to change it all the time.

People might forget to change their temporary mdesc's but, we need an echo anyway. How often have you run half way across the city before you notice your stam is down to 5?

Well....I have.

Anyhow...I'm still pro this idea combined with echo-ing the mdesc to the user when they move.

That said, the client side stuff is a great alt in the interim.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Yeah, it would be great if it echoed to the one doing it. 8)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jmordetsky"
Well I think it is a good idea to have something like this on the server, but this a fair suggestion as well. I'm defiantely going to put something like this together on my end. However, not everyone is a programmer...further more...not everyone has a good client that supports this stuff.

You don't need anything cliantside, if you are willing to use one of your 10 in-game aliases.

alias ln north (limping heavily)
alias le east (limping along)
alias ls south (moving stiffly, with a pronouned limp)
alias lw west (leaning heavily on her cane as she limps along)

Not the best crafted example, but you get the idea.  If you want to move with your limp, limping west, you use lw instead of west.  If you wanted to be a swaggerer, you might name your swaggering aliases sn, se, ss, and sw.  That way when when you want to run, or ride a kank, you just use the regular n,e,s,w so you don't get the emote.  And it isn't hard to adjust the movement emotes as your limp gets better or worse, or as your swagger is beaten into a military stride.

No muss, no fuss.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yeah, except it uses up your ten aliases when I've usually got them all used up on things like changing to different languages, drawing and sheathing of different weapons and such.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D