The Consequences of a Crash

Started by Pantoufle, April 12, 2004, 12:31:54 PM

I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but man would it be nice if players could save the contents of a room!

It would also make crashes less of an OOC nuisance if NPC guards and such somehow returned to their save room (despite their current location) after a reboot -- rather than simply no longer being in existance, which then requires staff intervention to correct.

Of course I'm sure this isn't a unique idea but I had to make a statement nonetheless.

A lot of skills spellcasting guilds possess are commands which, on other MUDs, exist only as imm-commands.  Such as the ability to snoop other people or conjure various items into existance.  What if various characters (such as those wielding power over certain NPCs) had similar imm-like abilities, such as reloading NPCs that vanish after a crash?  This would be an OOC command rather than a skill, obviously, but why not grant this privelage to those in need?  If tweaked to avoid potential abuse, it might save a lot of unwanted hassle which may occur each and every time the MUD crashes.  Imagine being a family merchant who has a personal NPC bodyguard and you can input a command which reloads the NPC if they are presently not in the game (which would only happen after a crash).  If that NPC already exists then the player would be prompted with something like: "That NPC is already in game" -- just in case someone wanted to be a dork about it and load up 20 million NPCs and wreak havoc!

Or maybe someone can just invent a way to make the MUD not crash instead!  :lol:

This has been discussed before...and the amount of processor time taken up, according to what I remember of a staff response, would be ridiculous with people saving rooms all the time.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yeah, I brought it up a while back, you just have to learn to deal with it, like I have.
uppers.