OUT OUT damned spot!

Started by Anonymous, April 10, 2004, 09:37:46 PM

"Out" is a directional in Armageddon. There's north, south, east, west, up, down, and out.

But when you try to "watch out" if you're inside, you can't.

If there's a critter outside your tent you can't throw a stone at it. If there's a bahamet outside the tavern the militia can't line up with bows and shoot the fucker.

All because - the only thing you can do with OUT is "look."

It seems pretty silly that an entire tribe with a coded camp is held hostage by a single aggro critter that parks itself outside the entry. You'd think all the NPCs and VNPCs and PCs would have no problem aiming their arrows in broad daylight with no wind or sand blowing around to knock that thing down for the count.

Or even be able to "watch" to see if the animal moves away on its own after awhile. Spamming "look out" isn't so bad when you're alone but when you're with a group of people waiting to leave, it's unbelievably annoying.

I did "Idea" this in game a few weeks ago, but ideas don't come with feedback. So I'm wondering if there's any opinion against this, or any reason why it can't or shouldn't be implemented.

I can't think of much room for abuse, other than abusing the NPCS to do your dirty work.

Other than that, I see potential.

Point being is virtually these critters wouldn't stand a chance wherever there are NPCs and VNPCs with a lot of combat skills. It would make sense that everyone *could* use "out" to quaify "shoot" and "watch" and "throw". NPCs wouldn't unless they were commanded to but players who have control over combat NPCs are given the responsibility because they've earned the trust of the staff. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt that they won't abuse it until they break the trust.

Virtually though. You have to assume that critters show up and get chased off by NPCs and VNPCs standing guard all the time or no one would ever get to leave.

If you want to be able to shoot out, be ready to face the consequences. If you can shoot out, the creature can enter your camp. Next time you log in do you want to find a met waiting for you with all of your clans npc's lying dead at it's feet?

If there's a creature waiting outside and you have a lot of pc's, go outside and either take it down, or flee from it then pick it off with arrows. As it is now, npc's will leave a tent or encampment alone. I'd say it's a fair trade off for not being able to shoot out at things. The watch command would be nice, but I imagine to do that, 'out' needs to actually become a direction which would allow the npc's to enter. As it is now, the 'out' isn't a direction but a certain keyword in the room that lets you enter.
B

Watch out?  Good idea.

And I suggest to idea it IG and then email it to the mud.  So you can get feedback
some of my posts are serious stuff

Depending on how the spaces within spaces are done, could be challenging to code... or not.

If you can watch 'out' you should be able to watch 'in', or watch an object like a tent, seeing what is going on inside it... don't know if that's already coded though.

Also if you can shoot/throw 'out', you'd have to be able to do the same into a structure. Some things you can enter/leave wouldn't make sense to be able to do these things in/out of... but it might be nice if the imms had time to be selective about certain ones where it would work.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Quote from: "Canadian Beaver"If you want to be able to shoot out, be ready to face the consequences. If you can shoot out, the creature can enter your camp. Next time you log in do you want to find a met waiting for you with all of your clans npc's lying dead at it's feet?

If there's a creature waiting outside and you have a lot of pc's, go outside and either take it down, or flee from it then pick it off with arrows. As it is now, npc's will leave a tent or encampment alone. I'd say it's a fair trade off for not being able to shoot out at things. The watch command would be nice, but I imagine to do that, 'out' needs to actually become a direction which would allow the npc's to enter. As it is now, the 'out' isn't a direction but a certain keyword in the room that lets you enter.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the logic in this. I agree, if you're in a tent (for instance) in gith country and can shoot out at a gith standing in front of your tent, that the gith should be able to SHOOT in. But you can already leave the tent to attack it, and he already can't enter to attack you.

Why should he be able to come in, when he could already shoot in (if something like that was ever implemented)? The request isn't to be able to use a blade on a creature that isn't in your room. It's to be able to throw things, that you can already throw 2 rooms away, into the very next room.

Watch 'out' though - I don't see any reason why not, logical or illogical. It seems more of a code issue than anything else, but it would be nice to hear back from someone on that.

Quote from: "Bestatte"

I'm not sure I'm understanding the logic in this. I agree, if you're in a tent (for instance) in gith country and can shoot out at a gith standing in front of your tent, that the gith should be able to SHOOT in. But you can already leave the tent to attack it, and he already can't enter to attack you.

Why should he be able to come in, when he could already shoot in (if something like that was ever implemented)? The request isn't to be able to use a blade on a creature that isn't in your room. It's to be able to throw things, that you can already throw 2 rooms away, into the very next room.

Watch 'out' though - I don't see any reason why not, logical or illogical. It seems more of a code issue than anything else, but it would be nice to hear back from someone on that.

What I mean, is say you're inside a tent/hole/encampment. Now, you look out and notice a raptor is standing out there. As it is now, npc's such as a raptor can't enter into the tent/hole/encampment that you're in (unless an imms up to no good  :twisted: ). If you can shoot out at something, it should be able to come in. Otherwise you'll have people run into a met, put up the their tent and shoot/throw it to death from inside the safety of the tent, when really the met would just trample the tent.
B

Ah. I didn't know the met couldn't destroy the tent. I thought it could. I've seen ruined tents before in some outdoor places. You're saying this isn't the case?

Not sure, can't say I've really used tents much.

But using a tent was just an example, the same thing goes for holes, encampments, etc.
B

Tents can be destroyed, I'm sure all it would take is some sort of additional scripting to have npc beasts do it.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

doesn't that mean the thing could go -in- :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Tents can be destroyed, and it does not need extra script.  Two character's back, I learned that fact painfully.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quotedoesn't that mean the thing could go -in-

Obviously, which would be the whole point of it destroying it eh? :roll:

Quote from: "Bestatte"

should probably post in ask the staff to get a reponse

Erm...

I don't know about you guys...

But I've had several gith and the like 'enter' buildings after me.  Never into a tent, but into various enterable places around where they're found.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've had animals follow me into things too.  The most annoying was when a raptor followed me into my tent, but didn't follow me back out.    I was near a town so healed there, came back to my tent half an hour later, and the raptor was still in there!  Argh!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

So, if these things already can go into tents, why can't people shoot at them from inside to keep them out?

To save anyone the trouble: I was "Guest" who started this thread. I originally thought I would end up including info that would identify my character so I posted anon. Turns out I didn't, but when you post as "guest" you can't edit your post to say that you're you. I was also the "guest" who responded to the first response.

If you're in your tent and you're looking out through the flap, at most you're only going to be able to see half of whatever square you're in (and that's if you're sticking you head out).  If you're actually shooting from inside the tent, that's going to be cut to 20%, or something.  I think I'm being generous with that guess.
Anyway, my point is that it's unlikely your opponent will be standing there for you.

We also really need a GUARD OUT! This drove me crazy when I was a militiaman in the north, while under Allanaki occupation, and I couldn't stop someone from leaving the sanctuary. I mean.. that's lame.

The big and mean militia-man says to you, in a deep bellowing voice:
"Drop your weapons and don't move or I'll kill you!"

The snivelling little twink says:
"Bite me!"

The snivelling little twink leaves.

The big and mean militia-man says, before leaving the tavern to find an empty street:
"Tek damn it!"