Bow and Salute commands.

Started by Sephiroto, November 12, 2002, 07:29:24 PM

I dont think that there are any bow or salute commands.

Would it be possible to add bow and salute to the command list along with laugh, cough, chuckle, etc.

I myself do not see how it would be a problem.  If people want to salute or bow simpally they can.  If they want to eleborately salute or bow, then emote it out.

Is typing 'salute gorobei' that much harder than typing ':salutes ~gorobei'?
Bow might be good though.

I don't use socials, but they may be helpful anyway. You can find the help file for them here. If you mess around with them you might find what your looking for.

If these aren't good enough you can create aliases.

alias bw emote bows to

then you can type "bw ~target" and it'll show "Sephiroto bows to the Templar"

I'm against devising any other methods as these are good enough IMO.

Wow, bow and salute socials... why didn't I think of that?  I LOVE the idea.

John, one problem.  That link does not appear to work.  Maybe its a problem via my server.  But it could be on your part.

it had a typo in it, which is fixed.

THe link is http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?socials and you can find out in the game by typing help socials

Lord Templar Hardnose wants canned bows? What is the world coming to? ;)

Personally I don't use or like socials, because it just... well, looks canned. But then again people who can't type quickly it might be better for. (I think I ended a sentence in a preposition, bad Tony can't make correct sentences grammarly)

Even though I complain, I do often make emotes that look exactly like the socials sometimes D:

Personally I don't like any idea adding to the code which can be implemented by some other way much easier. The way it is now you can emote both perfectly. You can also make a nifty alias in your favorite mud client, so by typyng "bow templar" your mud client will spit out a nice "canned" emote for you.  From my personal experience the more code there is in a software the more places for bugs to apear. Also I am not sure what all the overhead for adding more and more code is but I assume there is some effect to the game speed/lag.

Disclaimer: Since I have no knowledge whatsoever of the Armageddon code the above are just my educated (?) guesses.

To my knowledge, which of coding isn't great but I have alittle bit, adding in code wouldn't slow the game down, it's only when the code is being actively ran. Adding in socials I am sure isn't a problem except alittle extra space in a file someplace. Isn't Armageddon diku based? I thought I read that some place unless the MUD isn't or current Code bases have changed drastically in the base code, socials never were completely hard code, if any hard code.

But even if it was a hard code the only time it'd put strain on the system is when the code is thrown threw the active loop(IE Someone uses it) the unactive code just sits there untill it's called upon as far as I know(From my knowledge though the active code is quite a big loop filled with lots of little loops)

If I'm wrong someone well probably point it out like ussual. And I'm just going on my knowledge of Smaug with is a diku-based, code-base.

If I'm right, yay, if not oh well.

Creeper

Oh... I'm not much in support of adding more socials, a canned emote isn't hard to type out.
21sters Unite!

Codewise socials aren't a big deal. There's a file that has a whole bunch of socials. You can hash them out or delete them or add new ones by following a pattern.

Play-wise... ugh. I mean, I can understand smile and nod. There are only so many ways to describe nodding in an emote before you start getting into the exact way the two tendrils of grey hair gracing the top of your bald head drift through the air as your chin hitches down a quarter inch at a steep forty-five degree angle.

But things like bows and salutes really, in my opinion anyways (not that it counts for a whole damn lot) is that those things should be a bit more personalized. Different clans may have different salutes. Sure, emote salutes you is alright and acceptable, but I'd much rather see emote thumps his fist to his chest in a crisp salute, even if its canned through the use of an IG or client-based alias command. Same with bows. There's a million ways a person can bow that don't even go into overbearing detail that really set a tone, or display something about the pc not able to be conveyed through dialogue. You can bow with a flourish of your cape, stiffly, holding a bodypart stiff, awkwardly, curtsey lightly or deeply, bow slightly, barely bending at the waist, bow your head, a gangly person might bow as if his limbs were joined together by rubber bands.. jerkily, reluctantly, with a scowl, with a sneering twist of the lips, with a snort, smoothly, gracefully, with a wheeze, they might fall to their knees, they might even prostate themselves before you. These are all degrees which convey an image of the pc doing the bowing, even his feelings toward the person he's bowing to, or the formality they're using, and in most cases, by adding only a word or two.

Is using a canned social really worth losing the nuances that words can be used to provide?

Nineveh bows with a haughty smirk writ across her features, throwing two sids at you.
se K.Y. jelly to grease up your chihauha and set him loose in the sewers to establish a beachhead for your underground empire.

Just a thought:

You could, conceivably, add a 'salute' to each clan/guild/whathaveyou that has a salute without losing much atmosphere.  I was in the military IRL for a while, and most salutes go off the same way.  It's when the person giving the salute is specifically trying to get a point across that something happens.

Ex: a bynner needing to salute types 'salute blabbercrap'
The code references the person's clan (Byn) which then references the salute code for the T'zai Byn, and tosses this out:
the lame, blind man taps his fist against his chest in salute to the guy with rank.
You could also, perse, add the 'look' or 'north' code, which allows you to tack on something else at the end, IE:  salute blabbercrap while sticking his tongue out.

Just my pair of quirri on the situation.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I'm going to post my idea again except alittle stronger.

Quit being lazy and type out your emote.

:bows to ~loudmouthtemplar

Isn't much different then.

bow to loudmouthtemplar

Just like the fellow said up there with salutes, but bows are much different.

:thumps his chest as ~seargent enters.

salute seargent enters.

Whats the big difference. You got an extra ":", "thumps his chest as ~", "enters."

It really isn't much more to type, and the game isn't meant to blow by at super fast speeds(Which it doesn't due to lag/slow typing/alot of short AFKs/and who knows what else) that even if you have to type with your nose you should be able to type it all out.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

A problem I see with coded socials that are modified based on clan, is that it is possible to be in more than one clan at a time.  So suppose someone joins a second clan as a spy, for example a guy from a raider clan joins the byn to find out and report the exact times and routes of caravans, and then he foolishly types "salute ~sarge" but instead of doing the well known byn salute the code executes the slightly less well known raider salute.   :shock:   Your cover is blown man, and many clans excecute spys.  

8) Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ahhh... that I did not know.  thanks for answering a future question of mine, however... namely: 'can you be in more than one clan at a time'

And no offense creeper, but it's not really laziness that prompted my words, but actual knowledge of the fact that I, and 50 some odd other basic training recruits all saluted the *exact same way* for well over 8 weeks IRL.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Whoever that guy is with the name starting with M"And no offense creeper, but it's not really laziness that prompted my words, but actual knowledge of the fact that I, and 50 some odd other basic training recruits all saluted the *exact same way* for well over 8 weeks IRL.

Well... Adding in a salute command well just make it so you continue saluting in the same way. Spice it up alittle instead of following the norm!

For gods sake if all else fails and typing out, ":salutes ~seargent" is too difficult over "salute seargent" well... Make a dang alias. I'm pretty sure Arm has at least a couple built in aliases.

Creeper
21sters Unite!