Hunters.... Hunters....

Started by Ghost, April 08, 2004, 10:10:07 AM

You can roleplay all you want while skinning the shit, jhunter.  The problem is that there is currently NO delay on skinning anything.  This just encourages people to NOT rp because they can just skin it and move on when they think they are alone...because some people get all whiny about solo-rp.  Also, this is a mud, not a mush.  Things are usually dictated by code in muds...otherwise it's a mush.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm not disputing that...I don't believe you are seeing my point.

Do I think that this is a good idea and something that would be realistic change to the skinning code?

Yes, absolutely.

Do I think that people should resort to changes to the code to fix IC problems?

Absolutely not.

It's not the suggestion at all that I have any problem with...it is what's prompted the suggestion in the first place.

Basically going OOC to deal with an IC problem.

That is all.

Crap, that last one was me. :oops:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I understand that people should fix their own actions.  I still think this should be implemented.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

A crafting delay on skinning is a good idea, whether or not we have a problem with overhunting at the moment.

Yep, exactly what I've been saying.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Alright.
You kill and skin a scrab with four possible things to eat.
Let's say, "Your starving"
Means you have to kill 2+ scrab to get enough to fill you up.
And these scrabs are -HUGE-, Bigger then most humans!
but it takes 2+ scrabs to feed someone!
take 4 hunters. That is moderate to what I see.
so that means 8+  scrabs to feed them. or like 16+ Jozhal.
there has to be more meat when you skin! It is just that simple, It will get rid of a lot of the over hunting, because most of those hunters aren't rangers.
That is just the southern since this seems a southern question.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Alright.
You kill and skin a scrab with four possible things to eat.  Let's say, "Your starving" Means you have to kill 2+ scrab to get enough to fill you up.  And these scrabs are -HUGE-, Bigger then most humans!
but it takes 2+ scrabs to feed someone!  take 4 hunters. That is moderate to what I see.  so that means 8+  scrabs to feed them. or like 16+ Jozhal.  there has to be more meat when you skin!

Just to play devil's advocate, maybe there isn't.  Perhaps most of the creature is inedible.  Like that blowfish that is mostly poisonous, but has a little bit of meat that is supposed to be delicious if it is prepared correctly.  It is a hard world, perhaps 90% of creature out there are poisonous or inedible.  Not 9 out of 10 creatures, but 90% of EACH creature.  

Have you ever squashed a beetle?  Of the stuff that squirted out, how much of it looked like "meat"?  Do insects even have muscle tissue?

Most of the creatures you see are very lean, there isn't going to be a lot of extra flesh on them.  You generally don't eat bone, chitin, sinew, tendon, intestines, skin, fur, cartlige, hair or the green wobbly bits.

That doesn't explain away the amount of meat found on animals like duskhorn and tandu, but the "strange" animals could easily be made mostly of things that can't be eaten by humanoids.

QuoteIt is just that simple, It will get rid of a lot of the over hunting, because most of those hunters aren't rangers.
That is just the southern since this seems a southern question.

I see a lot of meat on the sand in the south, I don't think there is a shortage of southern meat.  Maybe you aren't a good skinner, or you have a huge stomach, but you can get 4-5 edible things off a scrab, and most of them are more than one bite.  

But that is beside the point.  Over-hunting has nothing to do with meat.  Nobody kills a dozen animals because they are hungry (except perhaps a half-giant).  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Have you ever squashed a beetle?  Of the stuff that squirted out, how much of it looked like "meat"?  Do insects even have muscle tissue?

Angela Christine

I'd say the meat would be plentiful and easily extracted (after you got through the armor).  Lobsters are essentially big bugs, right?

Protein! Heh

On the issue at hand - I do not see how this delay would solve the problem of wasteful overhunting. Seeing as most who would power game don't even care about skinning .....
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Regardless of whether it would solve over hunting or not, since that's not really the issue..

I'd still like to see a variable, interruptable delay depending on the size of the creature, with the trade-off that you would get more meat and/or skinned items, useable in crafts and such.

Of course, this means that someone would have to go through the hard work of building all of said items, as well as sorting through each huntable animal in the database and figuring out an appropriate delay. Or, perhaps, code it so that the weight of the animal's corpse is taken into question at the time of skinning, and a delay added on for each 'size' level.

It's not something I expect to see any time soon, but it's in the 'would be nice' category for me.

Frist of I've never skinned before, I'm just going by the helpfile and what I read in this thread.  But, anyways, here's an idea.  I'm not sure if you can do this with the code, but I think I've seen it in other games.  Put a timer on the skill.  Say you just killed a creature, then you skin it.  The time to skin is exactly the same as it is now, but afterwards you cannot skin again for some time. Say 5 minutes or so. Since you don't have a delay, you can move freely, emote, hunt more, whatever.

Sound good?
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Placing a timer on a skill is possible and even easy.

But, realistically, can you imagine going to a butcher and having to wait for twenty minutes because he had just cut a rabbit?

These sort of timers are generally useful for things that can only be done so frequently...taking a leak, or memorizing a lot of information, maybe some magickal or psychic abilities, as well as sleeping.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

If it doesn't prevent overhunting, then there is no use for it (aside from hard coding realism). You can just as easily emote skinning it for ten or twenty minutes, or as much as you'd like. Personally, I'd rather see the energy of the staff placed elsewhere.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "Realedazed".. Say you just killed a creature, then you skin it.  The time to skin is exactly the same as it is now, but afterwards you cannot skin again for some time. Say 5 minutes or so. Since you don't have a delay, you can move freely, emote, hunt more, whatever.

Sound good?

I dont think it is realistic.  Lets say I hunted down an animal and skinned it in a second?  And I can spend the time that I should spend on skinning, iddling in a tavern?  That does not sound right to me.  
And lets say I skinned something and one league away I killed a similar thing.  Now what is to stop my PC from skinning that too for the extra time?  Beign tired from skinning?  No, because I am so good that I took another fight, and I can still take another fight, I am not tired.

About being defenseless while skinning because you hold a skinning knife:
I think it is not that bad at playibility issue, because for all we know, you are far more defenseless while you are riding.  You have a skinning knife in your hand while you are skinning, but you have only one equipped hand while you are riding, and riding is not very bad at playibility issue.

So far good ideas.  It is a good idea to have a delay according to the size of the animal.  But it can be also proportional to the parts that you are skinning.  For example, I know t least one animal that you can take only one tooth, and a meat, although the creature is very big.  Whereas there are some very profitable animals that you can skin and get 5+ products.

I dont know much about the coding though, I dont know if it will be too difficult  codewise to apply any of these two, or if it will be too difficult to put a delay in the skin
some of my posts are serious stuff

I support this code change.

If you're skinning a Mek with dangerous animals a couple of rooms away and doing so in under a minute, IMO you are not playing realistically.

However having said that it most likely isn't going to be a simple case of implementing a time delay.

At the moment things need to be dropped to skinned. What if someone else skins it first? What if someone else takes it away? These would have to be considered when implementing a time delay.

Quote from: "John"
At the moment things need to be dropped to skinned. What if someone else skins it first? What if someone else takes it away? These would have to be considered when implementing a time delay.

Quote from: "Ghost"Now there might be a problem: Say what happens when you begin to skin something, and another PC comes and try to skin it too. There might be two solutions for this also:

1) The second PC also begins to skin it, and the result of skinning the body will be the combined effort of both. I dont know if coding such is possible at all.

2) If it is too hard to code the first one, then the second PC gets a message like "You cannot skin soandso body, somebody else is skinning it" or something like that.
There might be more options  too.  

And someone else takes your hunt away, or begins to skin your hunt?  Yes, now it will be the time to show what you are going to do those who steal your hunt  :twisted:
some of my posts are serious stuff

I support this code change.

Even skinning a small animal is delicate and potentially time-consuming work.  So even a flat delay that doesn't vary from animal to animal would be better.

Of course, if you want to make it fancy then you could make the delay based on how many items you get off the animal, or how many items you could potentially get.
Back from a long retirement

I like this idea alot.
A couple thoughts:
I think it would be even cooler if this was possible... If there was a time delay, I would think it would be cool if things came out while you are skinning it, like after a minute the hide comes off, and after another minute the meat comes off. And to stop other people from taking what you get, it ends up in your inventory as you work. If you stop while working, the stuff becomes damaged, cause you lose your concentration, or something of that sort.
uppers.

Wasn't there some talk a while ago about changing the way gigantic creatures were skinned, so it would  go through several states?  Like if you skinned a mekillot first you'd get a skinless mekillot carcas and maybe some skin or shell.  Then a mekillot skeleton, and whatever meat you pulled of it.  "Skin" the skeleton and you get bones and stuff.

I thought something like this was implimented, with a request for feedback.  There was a problem that people rarely skin mekillots so feedback was slow in comming.  Then the topic just sort of faded away.

That wouldn't actually stop you from typing "skin mekillot" three times fast, but would give you more to work with emote-wise, and prevent the unlikely result of skinning a mek and getting a single steak.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yes, AC, and someone mentioned that some creatures did go through multiple stages already...I think.