for your dining enjoyment, todays special is..

Started by amoeba, April 04, 2004, 07:10:46 PM

Ok we all have to eat,  but must eating be so .. mundane.

It would be nice to see more elaborate echos and actions assigned to eating.
currently we get "you eat a roasted browniish-green hunk of meat"
Tasting gives you a bit more,  but not that much or that often.

Wouldn't it be nice to see:
"You eat a roasted browniish-green hunk of meat, The texture is firm and chewy,
with a subtle but not unpleasant aftertaste."

To take this further, for those eating a gimpa rat... I mean it is a rat..:
"You eat a skanky pice of meat,  There is a vile astringent taste to this meat, you
start coughing and hacking violently as the bile rises in the back of your throat"

The room would see "The swarmy, dark man doubles over as he starts coughing violently"

You could also have a persitaint echo that lasts for a short time:
"You cough as a bit of your last meal rises back up your throat to remind you of it's vile taste"

You could adjust this to handle racial tastes.  Perhaps if someone eats a lot of
rat, tarantulla, etc. perhaps his reaction would be less violent.

It would be nice to go to an elaborate resturant and get some really nice echos.  

I think it would be good to give those that spam eat persitant heartburn messages.
:wink:
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I guess you haven't tried to 'taste' you food much, have you?

Also: don't assume gimka is skanky. Its all in how you cook it. A nice marinade for a few hours usually will make your gimpka fajitas come out really nice.

I like the idea on racial tastes, though...it would be interesting, to maybe see things with an 'accquired' taste, actually need to be accquired.
Tlaloc
Legend

Since I've personally never liked the idea of 'acquired' tastes, since you have to buy a lot of something, drink/eat of lot of it before you actually like it, why would you? That's what it makes me wonder.

For instance, beer is something that you need to drink a lot of before acquiring that taste but a lot of people do it anyways. Why is that? Why not drink something else like hard liquor if you prefer it more?

I do like the idea of getting more of a taste message while eating. Perhaps you should email the mud with your idea, or use the "idea" command in game.  :wink:

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

I have tasted.  but.  "this tastes of the earth", "this tastes like ordinary fruit",
"this tastes like ordinary meat" is well mundane.  I may not be getting the best
of foods, this is my first character after all and I am not that high, so I most
likely have not experienced  the depth of the descriptions.   My post was
nothing more than a suggestion/observation of my experiances so far.  
I posted this after a long IC night of crafting foods, yes mostly roots, and
not seeing a whole lot of variety.   Most of the descriptions were less than
6-8 words long.  

Think of it this way.  would you rather see:
"the swarmy, dark man walks to a black bar"

or
"casually picking his nose, the swarmy, dark man saunters over to a
black bar before finally wiping his finger on the back of a slender,
white laced templar as he walks past her."

Ok bad example  :wink:  but you get my point I hope.  Why should
what we experiance from the game be any less than what we
experiance from the PC's?

cheers
quote="Morgenes"]
[/quote]

Anything that tastes like "ordinary meat" or "of the earth" simply doesn't have a taste message attached to it, yet.  If you've got a good idea for a particular food's taste, then idea it.  Idea something every day!

Quote from: "Gorobei"Anything that tastes like "ordinary meat" or "of the earth" simply doesn't have a taste message attached to it, yet.  If you've got a good idea for a particular food's taste, then idea it.  Idea something every day!

Ah the things we don't know we don't know.  I assumed that since the game was around as
long as it was, and that I saw this behaivior on everything that *I* saw it must be that
it wasn't implemented. My bad.   I will  be posting "ideas"  on these items.  :)

cheers
quote="Morgenes"]
[/quote]

Quote from: "amoeba"I assumed that since the game was around as long as it was, and that I saw this behaivior on everything that *I* saw it must be that
it wasn't implemented.
Custom taste messages are a fairly new development :)

I read this somewhere: (Or something like this)
You want to change "Tastes strongly of earth" into something more elaborite, write up what you would like better, send it in, and then they might change it, you never know.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime