Devour.. Eat spam?

Started by cisalus, April 01, 2004, 04:49:41 PM

Eat spam - spam = Devourer

>devour pie
Amos eats all of his massive pie in a series of large bites

..as opposed to...

>eat pie
Amos eats a portion of a partially eaten fifteen-cord tall gimpka pie.

>eat pie

>eat pie

>eat pie
Amos eats a portion of a half-eaten fifteen-cord tall gimpka pie.

etc, etc...

I personally don't like sitting in the mess hall of ANY compound and seeing 10 militants chomping away at their food.. over.. and over... Even all those eat emotes are spammy. Ugh.

Thoughts?

Well if they're going to add that, add 'scour' too... a command that would 'clean' as many times as necessary until something was clean or stained. ;)
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I love this idea.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I think we should also put in a killskincraft command too so that rangers don't have to create so much spam.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Can we please dispense with the obvious witty retorts when a perfectly good idea has been presented?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

The problem with a "devour" thing is that it just isn't that simple. You have to take into account the "fullness state" of the person eating. What if he only needs one more bite to be so full he can't eat anymore?

That's more needed in the code to account for, turning what sounds like a nice easy solution to be not so easy.

What I -would- like is to be able to add <item> to <get all.>

Such that, if I have 10 red peppers in my pack, 15 shards, 5 waterskins, and 3 chunks of red stone

I could "get all chunk pack" and retrieve all 3 chunks. Obviously if I had 3 red chunks and 3 black chunks I'd have to deal with not having enough room in my inv to carry all 6 chunks.  But it beats the heck out of trying to get all, or get red until you have the -right- red, or get chunk until you have the -right- chunk.

Well a 'devour' commmand could work like a craft.

>devour baby

You begin to eat a baby.

You can no longer eat any more baby.

>inven
A partially eaten baby.

could even take as long as individual bites could so you could type score and use
>stop
or something to cease part way.

Oh, by the way, I finally have presented a good idea. Thanks for the thoughts

:P

Poison could be a problem.  Will it stop you after the first bite of poisoned gimpka pie, or will eat all 9 bites, consuming 9 doses of poison?  In general, less poison is better than more poison.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Poison could be a problem.  Will it stop you after the first bite of poisoned gimpka pie, or will eat all 9 bites, consuming 9 doses of poison?  In general, less poison is better than more poison.

We're all assuming that we've obtained food from a reliable source.

And if someone was smart enough to check for poison, they would taste, THEN devour? Good thought though, no doubt

I like it.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

I would like to see this as well, not to replace the eat command but to augment it.

Quote from: "Xerin"I would like to see this as well, not to replace the eat command but to augment it.

I never meant to kill the eat command, it'd still be around..
This'd just be helpful in large groupings, where if you are playing on modem, a few people aren't going to spam you out by eating a pie. :P

There might be coding problems, and then again there might not be.  If it can easily be coded, then it should be.  If it can't, then I don't think it's worth the time of day.
Back from a long retirement

Just get rid of the room echo to 'eat'.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"Just get rid of the room echo to 'eat'.

Well no...it is an action, that's obvious...and how would I know if I successfully poisoned you then?
huh. ;)
Veteran Newbie

Devour should be reasonably simple to code, and would rid us of a lot of annoying spam. I'd love to see it.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Bestatte"The problem with a "devour" thing is that it just isn't that simple. You have to take into account the "fullness state" of the person eating. What if he only needs one more bite to be so full he can't eat anymore?

Not simple?  I think you are talking about a pretty basic check that anyone proficient enough to code on Arm would take care of in a few lines.
if (hunger_rating(pc) < food_rating(fooditem)) {
      /* Devour code here */ }
else {
      /* Echo to player that they are too full to eat all of that */}

AS a self proclaimed, shamefull spam eater.. I like the idea.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I'd suggest that the echo to other players be something like:

$n consumes <food object>.

Or some other word similar to that, that ISN'T 'devours'.

Because if you just want to emote how you're eating everything, and then 'devour' it at the end to avoid the eating spam, it would look funny if:

A pale-skinned noble daintily cuts a piece of meat into bites, forking small bits into her mouth one at a time.

A pale-skinned noble devours a piece of meat.

You see my point? ;)

Quote from: "CRW"Not simple?  I think you are talking about a pretty basic check that anyone proficient enough to code on Arm would take care of in a few lines.
if (hunger_rating(pc) < food_rating(fooditem)) {
      /* Devour code here */ }
else {
      /* Echo to player that they are too full to eat all of that */}

Or, with a slightly more sophisticated handling:

bool foodLeft = true;

while( hunger_rating( pc ) < PC_FED_MAX && foodLeft )
{
  /* Reduce food by a bite, increase PC hunger_rating by the corresponding value */

if( allEaten( food ) ) foodLeft = false;
}

if( untouched( food ) )
{
  /* Echo to player that they are too full to eat that
     Return */
}
else if( foodLeft )
{
  /* Echo to player that they eat the food until they can eat no more
     Return */
}
else
{
  /* Echo to player that they devour the food to the last morsel
     Return */
}

The modified code would have the advantage it would allow you to eat as many bites of a particular piece of food as you have room for without any additional spam or need for another command.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

It's funny how easy the solution can be when it's sitting under your nose. Getting rid of the room echo as Lazloth suggests sounds perfect for the problem we have (or at least, the perceived problem).

I'd prefer for eat spam, along with look spam and movement spam, to be togglable.  There are times when you want to know that someone is eating, and times that you want to gag it because of screen scroll.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

That would 'solve' te problem, but what happens if you want to poison someone and do something dramatic at the same time.  You would never see them eat it unless they are emoting it... which not everybody does.

X eats blah portion of blah poisoned food

You exclaim to X, laughing maniacally, in sirihish;
"Ahahahaha, you have fallen for my evil plan!  Now I will rule the world! I'm a naughty boy!  Naughty, naughty, naughty!"

I think, in consideration of the devour idea, that it would actually be best if there was no effect, or even message, if you devour a poisoned munchie.  Devour would show that you're 'really' hungry in an RP situation.  You're probably not going to notice if something tastes slightly off.

As an aside, a 'chug' command or something of the like would rule for those northern drinking games.

You begin to chug a flourescent neon pink bottle.
X begins to chug a flourescent neon pink bottle.

You begin to feel intoxicated.
You begin to feel light-headed.
X wobbles slightly, still chugging on his flourescent neon pink bottle.
You get really drunk.

Your flourescent neon pink bottle is empty.
X lowers his flourescent neon pink bottle.

I think it's an awesome idea, and I think it's got a lot more potential than just removing the eat echo.  Also, if certain races/classes got certain bonuses to chugging (in the respect of speed reduction, if going on the 'crafting time' devour idea), it would actually lend more lure to playing a merc... or a half giant.

The thunder-thighed, ample giantess grins at you over the top of a big ass keg of liquor.
The thunder-thighed, ample giantess begins to chug a big ass keg of liquor.

(goes off to ponder the ramifications of an HG drinking game in a crowded tavern)
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

You could rework the eat command, kind of interbreed with with emote.

eat cake @ lifts ~cake to his lips, taking a bite from it and chewing.
<room sees>
The guy with the bright idea lifts a travel cake to his lips, taking a bite from it and chewing.
eat cake Stuffing the remainder of ~cake into his mouth, @ swallows thickly.
<room sees>
Stuffing the remainder of a small portion of a travel cake into his mouth, the guy with the bright idea swallows thickly.
Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.
- Arthur Golden