Uh Oh... Got to log!

Started by Carida, April 01, 2004, 11:31:34 AM

Alright. I was told to put this question up for all you guys to debate. And you do it all so well. :) Alright.. so.. your in the game, having fun. Time for you to log out. YOu got to go to class, work, sleep.. whateva. SO you figure you want to walk your character somewhere other then logging in the tavern, to their home, estate whatever. Your groggy or rushed, whatever! And your not paying too much attention. All of a sudden your attacked! ANd your thinking "what the feck? I need to log!!!! I don't have time for this!!!" Or your robbed or .. whatever. Do you feel trapped into rping? Personally I do. Especially at 5am when my brain isn't working and I wanna split. And then I do a bad job of rping cause.. well I'm just too damn tired.. and at that moment. Sleep is more important to me then getting the phrase just right... soooo.. what do you guys and gals think?
The Duty Of The One Inspired By The Muse~
          ~~
So sleep now
my longing heart, do not worry I won't tarry.
We shall be together in your dreams,
to be happy and make merry.
               ~~

..I know.. I'm a romantic.. its disgusting..

While I will admit that I have the temptation to just stay online, RP things out, and not log until they're resolved (and have done so many times), there are times where if I did that I wouldn't sleep at all for six consecutive days, and then pass out on Saturday when the game goes down. Learning the ability to say "Look... I've got to log off now. Let's pick this up at a later time" was one of the best things I ever accomplished. And I've found that most players won't begrudge you a little sleep, if you ask nice. Though they MIGHT decide to just kill you and loot your corpse instead of RP-ing out the robbery or attack.

At least then you'd get to sleep for a while.

This happens to me almost every night. I have to get out of a scene because my eyes are burning and I know that three hours sleep will put me at Zombie status come 6am tomorrow. But I have a hard time as well, I almost always hold out until the last minute until my emotes are shit and my wrods strat to look like  htis when I tyep.. It just gets bad. When you are rushed to get off or are tired IMHO it is best to just say, OOC Hey, sorry but I really need to do <whatever>. Can we pick this up another time?  Otherwise at least for me it ends up cheating the scene.  That is unless you are fighting a tembo or something, they tend not to care what you say.  And then again the chances of you getting robbed by the same thief again are very slim. Choose your battles and try to remember that it is -just a game-

Wow that was good advise..

The pink rhino makes a note to herself to heed her own advise…Then quickly crumples it up, stuffs it into her mouth and eats it.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"try to remember that it is -just a game-

Consider yourself quoted... ;)
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I'd say if logging at a certain time was very important, to start logging off an hour before that, because of all the little things that can pop up on Arm that take a fair amount of time to resolve.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I'm currently in a situation where I might have to suddenly drop link very quickly (cause I'm not supposed to be on). Now that is scary. I know if it happens, I will not have enough time to find a safe room.  :(

Getting forced into staying on later sucks, but in the case of getting attacked that is something truly rare, it can't happen all that often. But it sounds like there has to be some sort of ruling on it by the Staff, seeing as the only solutions aparent will do damage, either IC or OOC.

I find quitting out in time to be one of the hardest things because the mental note simply slips from the mind if you pay even trivial attention to the screen when you're trying to log off. You just get into the game, remember some things you wanted to do in character or with the character, and forget all about quitting because you're having fun.

And that's where moderation comes in. I'd shudder to think people stay up playing Arm five days in a row without sleep, or even go one night without any sleep for this game.

This isn't a game, this is a very addicting game, and that is what concerns me, is the number of addicts out there playing voluminous hours of Everquest, Arm, and any other game. Scary notion. Take care of yourselves and the people that matter to you, everything else should be a distant second for consideration.

I have guidelines I set up for myself, and stick with them. Supper time, Survivor time, and Bedtime are non-negotiable logout times for me. If supper's at 6, I will not get involved in a group hunting situation any time after 4. If bedtime is at midnite, no matter how "important" the scene is, I will excuse myself -somehow- - either ICly or OOCly, by 11:30 from whatever my character is doing and "wind down" for a half hour so I can log out.

On Survivor night, it isn't uncommon that I won't even log on at all after supper, but will just read the GDB and a few other forums I enjoy during the stretch between 6:30 and 8, and log on at 9 when Survivor's over.

Word to the wise - don't go on a group hunting expedition any closer than 2 hours before you need to log out. You know when your bedtime is, we might not. Making an entire group deal ICly with having to either stop the hunt short to bring you back, or cut RP to mourn the death of someone in the hunting party, or wonder how you're gonna make it back alone since you had to log out in the middle of the desert while we continue our trip is unfair OOCly to everyone involved.

On the other hand; if I'm in a clan and post my availability hours, please do me and yourself a huge favor. Don't plot my character's assassination 20 minutes before my posted logout time. I won't be able to give you the RP you deserve from a victim, and it makes me feel like the only reason you picked that time was because you knew I wouldn't have time to try and do anything about it.