Use of weapons.

Started by Tiran, March 30, 2004, 03:47:04 PM

Well, i was a little bit confused when saw that some piercing weapons cannot be used for stabbing. I cant understand the reason behind that?
The most obvious example for that;

Bone kirisigi dagger
This bleached bone dagger has been affixed with multiple appendages to
increase its potential for damage.  Many long durrit fangs have been
attached to both edges of the blade, most likely to increase the pain of the
victim once it has penetrated the flesh.  To aid in this, a thick
thornwalker cactus spine has been attached to the point of the dagger.  The tip is hollow so as to provide ample room for a supply of poison.

Well it is too sad that ya cant use that weapon as a stabbing weapon. But it is designed to be as one! Aint i right?
I think that should be fixed.

If you think it should be changed, you can typo it.

With the typo command?

EDIT: Yeah, I just made sure, there's an actuall command called typo. See help typo for more details.

I think this would be one for the Idea command perhaps.

Check out "help idea".

idea kirisigi I think that this dagger should be a stabbing weapon.  It sure looks pointy enough.

That being said, though, I think that the kirisigi is probably not a stabbing weapon, myself.  Its description with the off-shooting blades and all makes it seem to me to be more of a particularly nasty piercing weapon.

Stabby weapons seem to be more for sliding quickly and deeply into vital organs with as little interference during penetration as possible.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Using the logic that any piercing weapon is a stabbing weapon can't be used...if it was, every piercing weapon would be a stabbing weapon and every one of those could be used to backstab...like that longspear.  No, stabbing weapons are those piercing weapons suitable for use by an assassin to cut something vital from/in your body in the most damaging way possible without relying on nasty weapon or nasty strength to do the damage.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yeah, i got the point and i think you are right. Thanks

Bone kirisigidagger is not stabbing?

I thought I saw it used in backstab.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Also keep something in mind:

If your character does -not- have the backstab skill on your skills list, you will not be able to tell with assess -v if a weapon is a backstabber or not.

So, just because you can't see that it's a backstabber, doesn't mean it isn't one. Unless you have the actual coded skill.

I'm pretty sure you can't use a bone kirisigi dagger for backstabbing but I think you should be able to.  That bit about the long cactus spine for filling with poison makes it seem particularly assassin-like...  (Should that description have been posted here originally, isn't it a bit IC?)

Actually, you can, bestatte.

This weapon appears to be a stabbing weapon.

That means it can backstab.

This weapon appears to be a piercing weapon.

That means it can't.

Anyone with the piercing weapons skill can do it, at the very least.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If it says it is a piercing weapon and that can be used for skinning, then it is a stabbing weapon.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins