Dig Dug

Started by Trenidor, March 29, 2004, 10:48:41 PM

I've been debating on weather or not to post this, but here goes:

I propose a Dig command be placed in the game.

Like:

Dig

>You begin digging a hole

>In the storm your hole keeps getting sand in it.
-or-
>Your hole fills with falling sand
-or-
>You dig a hole the size of the moons

I dunno if it'd be a good addition or not, That's what code discussion is for.

Maybe a short description should be placed like:

Dig a hole, the size of a kank in diameter

and the finnished product would be: You dig a hole, the size fo a kank in diameter.

After digging holes, you could fill them in with a fill command, and burry stuff.

Put treasure hole

Fill hole

The hole would turn out like a container I guess and the next person to dig in that hole would dig up what's inside

Dig a large circular pit

>You dig a large circular pit
>While digging you find the remains of a dead body

>l body

>This body has been decomposed by the sands

I Think the code would most likely resemble the scribble code only it'd become a container.

Also, in places like the deep sands, certain failures could occur, like sand falling into the hole before it's dug, or in the rocky area it'd be too hard to dig.

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Just dicuss the idea, find ways around it, do what you do best.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

How do you account for the fact that outdoor rooms are -huge- and the winds shifting the sands would leave the buried treasure nearly impossible to find?

Good thinking um....perhaps several digs would end up with discovered treasure, not just the first time

I think this isn't a -bad- idea... But I don't think finding stuff like buried treasure is good. In fact I think that's not very good at all. But the idea of being able to dig your own little shelter for the night would be kinda cool. Like a temporary down location. But this would but a huge strain on the mud.

We have forage for finding stuff.  Do to the shifting sands and all, I can't really see a good reason to justify a command like this.  Also it's really hard to dig in sand to begin with.  

It's kind of neat sounding, but more effort than I feel it'd be worth.

The only reason I can see to justify this is to bury things, not to dig them up later.  Unless you have a clear landmark you wont find anything later, and as has been said before forage works fine.

Nice idea though, good discussion.  If you really have to get rid of that body go ahead and RP it out and junk it, that or wish up if you cant pick it up.  That'd be my advice.

quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

As long as the "container" didn't persist through reboots I don't think it would be too much of a strain on the machine.  It would basically be a way to temporarily hide items, and that ain't a bad think.  If you can hide a humanoid, shouldn't hiding a humanoid-sized sack of stuff that doesn't need to breath be even easier?  Hiding thins smaller than a humanoid should be easier still.  Wedging a small bag of coins into a crack in a wall before going to meeting in the 'rinth, it might be found or it might not.  (If there is a reboot, then you assume that either the item was found or that you can't remember the exact hiding place).

You can sort of do it now, you just have to rely on the ethical conduct of your fellow players.  

drop bag burried under a pile of sand.
    drop pouch wedged into a crack in the floor
    drop body hidden under a pile of rags in the corner.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Would be a cool ability, hide <object>

Could be based on foraging and hiding skills and finding them could be based on foraging and scan.

What does foraging have to do with finding hidden goods?  Try search.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I've been thinking lately about being able to hide items as well.
It'd be great for elfies who don't want to trust their precious
sid in the hands of those smelly nenyuk roundears and also
don't want to have to haul it all around with them. They can
find a little spot to tuck their sid away until they need it.

It'd be nice as well if you could tag on a desc to it like:

hide bag stuffed into a narrow crevice.

It would show 'A rough hide bag is here, stuffed into a narrow crevice'
to any that used search and found it.
B

Quote from: "Canadian Beaver"
I've been thinking lately about being able to hide items as well.
It'd be great for elfies who don't want to trust their precious
sid in the hands of those smelly nenyuk roundears and also
don't want to have to haul it all around with them. They can
find a little spot to tuck their sid away until they need it.

It'd be nice as well if you could tag on a desc to it like:

hide bag stuffed into a narrow crevice.

It would show 'A rough hide bag is here, stuffed into a narrow crevice'
to any that used search and found it.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"As long as the "container" didn't persist through reboots I don't think it would be too much of a strain on the machine.  It would basically be a way to temporarily hide items,

It would only work if you hid stuff in a save room if you didn't want your things eaten by crashes or reboots. Else it would be as AC says. Temporary.

I figured out something else to had for burrying and digging up...

If you attach a simple phrase to the end of the command, it'd be like you type in a code to a safe...

dig off the end of the road

Put bag hole

west

[two days leter]

east

dig off the end of the road

You dig up a hole with, a bag full of coins.

the only way you would be able to get the right hole is if you got the exact string (don't typo)

That's sounds like a good idea Trenidor, I think the added text should echo in the room upon completion so someone hiding nearby would see it and know where to look or someone watch from an adjacent room could tell as well.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D