'You have been spared from death.'

Started by Trenidor, March 25, 2004, 09:16:06 PM

Doesn't it seam illogicall that you'd be sent back to where your home town, body and items still lying in the desert?

I've had a few newbie deaths recently that are pissing me off cuz I have to  haul ass back to my death point if I want to finnish up this life....(least I admit it unlike some ppl)

Mayve the code could be fixed to give you all your stuff and not make a body. I'm not saying we shouldn't put that 1 hp thingy in, cuz I kinda like it. We should just not have to head back out to the big scary monster that killed us so we can get our things.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

You go back to get your things?  I always play out being mugged, or something else like that.   You can usually scrounge, beg, or steal some basic clothes.  And I find it aids that extra bite to survival that starting cash can distract from.

I don't believe that it is considered good RP to rush back to your dead body.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Damn, I experienced that just today, and I was scouring for where I died, not because I wanted my stuff back, but because I was pissed I got cut a break. Wanted the pack of gortoks to finish me this time. Ended up having to throw myself off a cliff.

Quote from: "moab"I don't believe that it is considered good RP to rush back to your dead body.

Ever read the acceptance to your pc? You are allowed to retrieve your belongings. You are encouraged to wait, due to critters, though.

I hate coming back, I am spared but I really dont want to me. Very unrealistic and if I wanted to come back then I would go play a H&S. I think it is usful to the newbies for when they die I guess but maybe when you are reborn have full start clothing. It is a bit odd being naked. Speacial if you run into a templar.... Gah...

Yeah, I think you should have a choice as to whether or not to be resurrected.  A simple question and Y/N prompt after death or something.

There's times when you could play out being beaten to within an inch of your life...and then there's times when being resurrected just feels like a cheat.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Hey hey hey! Wait a sec! You're allowed to get your items back? I thought that was bad RP... That's why we're seeing naked people rushing to the desert eh? I just thought bad about them. I'm sorry.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Help files state you can go back, though it is not a good idea since whatever killed you may still be there, what is definitly against the rules though is to have a completly new pc and go back to the old pc's place of death and retrieve that stuff.

Me, if nobody saw my char die and it was inside the 2 hours, I would think nothing about retrieving the gear, if people did see him die I would not do so and play him off as a completly different char.

What? I was killed? Musta been somebody that looked a little like me and you got sand in your eyes, as you can see, I'm right here.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"Help files state you can go back, though it is not a good idea since whatever killed you may still be there, what is definitly against the rules though is to have a completly new pc and go back to the old pc's place of death and retrieve that stuff.

Where did you find this? I searched the help files a little while ago pretty extensively to find information on the newbie resurrection and turned up nothing.

The email that people are quoting doesn't say that people can go back and get their stuff, merely that they should wait a couple of hours before reentering the game in case the beast that killed them is still around. While this might be an encouragement for them to get their stuff, I suspect from the wording that the newbie rezz either used to or was originally intended to restart the person where they died. A bit more staff guidance on this issue would be helpful.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Quirk"The email that people are quoting doesn't say that people can go back and get their stuff, merely that they should wait a couple of hours before reentering the game in case the beast that killed them is still around. While this might be an encouragement for them to get their stuff, I suspect from the wording that the newbie rezz either used to or was originally intended to restart the person where they died. A bit more staff guidance on this issue would be helpful.

Quirk is on point.

Quote from: "My last acceptance email"For the first few hours, if your character dies, you can come back into the game. But whatever killed you will probably kill you as soon as you come back, so we suggest waiting a while before comeing back into the game (a day is usually sufficient).
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I know I've seen something, somewhere, about newbie remort. I can't find it anywhere in the helpfiles or on the main website in any of the categories. I did learn about the command "quaff," however, while I was searching. Neat command.

Anyway.

What I remember, loosely, is this:

When your character dies, it is dead. Finito, finish, forever. Your re-popped character is a completely different person who doesn't know the dead person, never knew him, and would have no reason to look for him. Your re-popped character doesn't even know this other person exists. If you happen to die in the same place your re-popped character shows up, and he's dead, and you're naked, sure - go ahead and take his stuff if your character WOULD take his stuff. He won't be needing it anymore.

But to look for your dead character somewhere else is considered abuse of the system.

Once again, I can't remember for the life of me where I read it, but that's a summary of what I remember reading.

Quote from: "Quirk"I suspect from the wording that the newbie rezz either used to or was originally intended to restart the person where they died.

Yeah, that appears to be exactly what it did, at least on some occasions. See:

http://www.armageddon.org/HyperNews/get/general-archive2001/1184/2/1.html

If I find any more information in the old archives I'll post it here. Still to find an authoritative staff response.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

The fact that you come back naked and penniless implys that you've already gotten your newbie gear, and if you lose it that is your tough luck (just like if someone mugged you and took all your stuff) but if you find it then it is still yours.  Finding your dead dopleganger seems fair play to me.

Looking for previous dead characters is against the rules though.

Suppose you were playing a Dwarf named Derwin.  After a few days he is unexpectedly cut down by a superscrab near Allanak.  Your next character is a Human named Bob, he steps out of Allanak to mine some obsidian, and gets killed within the two hour limit.  You res as a new caracter, who coincidentally is also a human named Bob, we'll call him 2.Bob..  You, the player, know that the bodies of 1.Bob and Derwin are both near Allanak, assuming that they haven't been removed.  It is ok to go find 1.Bob's body.  It is NOT ok to go find Derwin's body.

That's my reasoning on the matter.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Personally I think you should be returned to the Place of Kings so you are forced to point to a different starting location, thus putting yourself relatively far away from whence you started originally.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I think you should have at least pants. Naked is ridiculous. Pants and Full health. Naked and wounded ties you too closely to the corpse. Hell Even pants and a crappy shirt. I don't think that's going to easy on you. That guy is dead. I am this guy with nothing but the clothes on my back. (or girl)

I haven't ever experienced this but I'd imagine that it's really frustrating to have to come back in the game, as supposedly a different person...yet still wounded and naked.

It makes alot more sense that if you are returned to the game if you die during this time period (and your supposed to be a different character) that you wouldn't be wounded and naked (which then would be for no apparent reason).
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'd rather see the reincarnation done away with, but to be honest I've never even experienced it.

As it is, it does seem rather awkward to deal with, on both the ressurected PC's side and those around him.

I've recently had this experience... I'd just like to say this is definitely the harshest moment I've ever seen on Armegeddon.  Its brutal, it literally drives your PC to beg, steal or find a hovel in the 'rinth.  And though thats great and I'm having a blast, well I'd rather have it be a PC raider leaving me naked by the side of the road than some made up story about a mugging.  Drop the newbie rez.

QuoteAs Grog said: I always play out being mugged, or something else like that.

This has happened to me to when I was starting out.
I played as if I was loosing my mind. It was actually very fun being a psycho, you should try it next time!
nd God said to Abraham:

Ummm...is this mic on?