Echo from use of the guard command.

Started by Anonymous, March 24, 2004, 07:48:21 PM

I think the guard command should only echo to the person using it.  Here's why:
  • It's an indicator of your intentions.  If you are playing a guard PC who doesn't give a crap about the person you are supposed to be guarding, not issuing the command is an indicator of that.  When you are the only schmuck between a pair of guards who doesn't guard noble things look weird.  Emoting your posture should be enough.
  • It's an expected action in some scenarios.  Removing the echo for the recipient will eliminate scenarios where the leader PC essentially asks another PC to use the guard command by insisting they 'get closer' or 'ready your blade' multiple times.
  • It's a warning signal to would-be assassins.  Scenario: Joe the Merchant is meeting with Lefty the Crime boss.  Joe has secretly paid off Spike, Lefty's right hand man.  Spike knows that Lefty is going to try to kill Joe, but he can't use the command guard joe without tipping everyone in the room off about what side he's on.
On the flip side, I can't really consider one good reason to have the guard command echo.  That may be because my point of view is that the guard command is an indicator of intention, not necessarily a specific stance.

Seconded, though if it got changed, I'd still expect nobles/merchants to make their guards emote changing their postures.

Other than that, I am fully behind this.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I have never really thought of the guard command in this way, but I have to admit it makes sense.  Instead, I would suggest a way to intentionally fail guard - why?  Because when you are jumped, if there isn't the message that so and so fails to protect or whatever it is, then everyone involved would oocly know you weren't actually guarding.  However, if you intend to fail, perhaps it could be tied to the nosave command somehow, then you would simply intentionally fail to guard, and everyone can assume 'Hey, he tried at least, the opponent was just too quick'.

I like this idea. I don't think it makes sense for the code to decide whether people around you know your guarding someone  or something unless you want them to know.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'll agree. We have the emote command for a reason.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If this is implemented I suggest putting it on the message of the day to make sure everyone knows about the change.

Worst case scenario:

Merchant:  Watch out, these guys are dangerous.  I need some protection.
Guard:  I'm on it sir. (emote guarding)
(walking through bad area of nasty pointy-eared things)
Merchant:  Guard, on your feet and stay close to me.
Guard:  Yes sir. (emote guarding)
Merchant:  Damnit guard, when I give you an order, follow it.
Guard:  I am sir.
Merchant: OOC: use the fucking guard command
Guard: OOC: It doesn't echo anymore moron, I'm guarding you.

Other than that I like the idea, kudos.

As long as we don't start seeing this.

Super sneaky l33t ninja bitch thinks "I'm so damn sneaky that nobody can guard against me!!!"

enter paranoid noble with four guards

super sneaky l33t ninja bitch thinks "Ha ha, I so clever!"

wield l33t posioned dagger
guard noble
kill noble

I don't see how that would be a problem grog... it wouldn't change anything. The guards would either still stop him, or not.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I'm no so sure that everone here is correct, I mean for one, anyone that is a sneaky Mo Fo, is watching Lord Fancy pants becuase they damn well want his pants. Have you ever seen someone with guards? I have, and it's damn well pretty obvious that they are gettin guarded. I realize that we could just emote it all out, but the coded echo isn't really all that far off for me. It like any other action in the game is abusable yes. It always has been up to the players to keep the integrity of the RP.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"It like any other action in the game is abusable yes. It always has been up to the players to keep the integrity of the RP.

Agreed, but that sort of logic only applies when dealing with something of value.  I don't see the value in an echo of the guard command.  Especially considering your post only addresses the first of the three points I'm trying to make.  What about a secret guard or a turncoat who can't use the guard command in a sticky situation without throwing everyone off as to what side he's really on?  What about leaders essentially ordering people to use the guard command?

Quote from: "CRW"What about a secret guard or a turncoat who can't use the guard command in a sticky situation without throwing everyone off as to what side he's really on?

You can't really guard someone without making it obvious.

But you can pretend to be guarding someone and still look 'obvious'.
"emote starts guarding ~noble" is a _horrible_ thing that I never want to see.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"But you can pretend to be guarding someone and still look 'obvious'.
"emote starts guarding ~noble" is a _horrible_ thing that I never want to see.

That's true.  If you want to do that, just continue to emote well while refusing to use the command.  Eventually, they'll feel too stupid to continue asking you to ready your weapons.

The rotund, slick-moustached merchant tells you, in sirihish:
  "Move closer, you fool!"

:frowns, scratching the back of his neck hesitantly, then shrugs and climbs into ~merchant ample lap.

Quote from: "Gorobei"
Quote from: "CRW"What about a secret guard or a turncoat who can't use the guard command in a sticky situation without throwing everyone off as to what side he's really on?

You can't really guard someone without making it obvious.

I disagree completely.  I can be standing near someone, acting casual or behind them acting threatening all the while being ready to jump to their defense when that half-giant across the room comes rushing over.

Quote from: "CRW"I disagree completely.  I can be standing near someone, acting casual or behind them acting threatening all the while being ready to jump to their defense when that half-giant across the room comes rushing over.

Then that would be rescue, not guard.

Quote from: "Larrath"Seconded, though if it got changed, I'd still expect nobles/merchants to make their guards emote changing their postures.

Other than that, I am fully behind this.

I see it now....

The prissy noble says to the lanky guard, in a naggy tone:"Straighten up your back!"
The prissy noble says to the lanky guard, in a naggy tone: "clutch onto your weapon!"

The prissy noble says to the lanky guard, in a naggy tone:"Get in front of me!"
The prissy noble says to the lanky guard, in a naggy tone:"No, No, you're not doing it right!"
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I think the subtle gaurd...the one who isn't obviously standing right in front of someone ready to take the first blade. Shouldn't nessecarily use the guard command.

As nessalin quoted rescue...I'd agree. Guard could be seen as an ooc command, for your character to immediately jump into the fray of the fight. But for someone that is cloak and dagger, hidden in the shadows...they should be oocly using the 'assist noble'.

It's a valid point, but I've view the guard command as having some actively and obviously guard another. Anything less would be exactly...something less.
Veteran Newbie