Potions 'n stuff

Started by theebie, March 10, 2004, 04:01:26 AM

it seems to be impossible to fill a brewed potion into another container.

any idea why that's the case ?

---theebie---

Probably has to do with the base DIKU code.

In DIKU, liquids that you drink are coded one way.  There is generally a table of different liquid types that have different affects (fill thirst, fill hunger).  They work specifically in conjunction with a certain item type, a container for liquids, like a waterskin.

A potion, on the other hand, is an item type by itself.  The affects of the potion are determined in the item type.  So, you are talking about liquid container item type, and potion item type.  The "liquid" in a potion item is generally not added into the liquid table, but rather taken into account on the potion item itself.  Since the contents of a potion are not in the liquid table, it is impossible to pour them.

Anyways, my theory based on how DIKU generally works.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Potions tend to be very rare in-game (I remember one old player telling me they'd seen a potion an entire 2 times while playing the game) so you might want to e-mail the mud account for a more definite answer. The Imms would definitely know, whereas us players might not know the exact workings.

Filled vials created with the brew system were incomplete and buggy and were disabled awhile back. Bakha had the project of reworking the poison and brew system, then he stopped being an IMM.

I don't know where the project is now, but that was what was going on the last time I sent an e-mail to mud about it because I was having difficulty with the brew system.

So? Isnt there a way to take the potion away from the vial? Forexample, mix it with the meals...

I'd really suggest mailing the mud VampireHunter. I'm going to say no, but I am quite possibly wrong.

Any use of poisons in vials by using the "brew" skill has been disabled. If it's been re-coded and re-implemented, it hasn't been announced yet.  In order to use the "poison" skill (according to the help file) you have to use the "hold" command to hold the poisonous substance. You cannot "hold" a vial that contains the substance, and therefore you cannot use the vial to poison something.

There've been a couple of threads about this in the past, and nothing has been posted by the staff since, and there's been no word in the weekly updates, so we just have to assume it's still disabled til we hear otherwise.

The only info that I can recall regarding brew since Bakha said the brew/poison combo was buggy and disabled, was when Sanvean posted (either here or on the weekly update, I can't remember which) that some brewed substances were removed because they didn't function.. or that some substances shouldn't have existed and were removed, or something like that.

Yeah, Sanvaen said that some things would change because people were getting 'inappropriate results (think buildings)' when using brew.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

1) If a skill improves only if the character fails on his attempts...
2) A character never fails on his attempts on brewing...
--> How is it possible that "brew" skill can improve?
PS: I made a hundred tablets without a single failure.

You can improve without failing, but you are more likely to improve through failure than through success.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Brew is just one of those odd skills, and also has some bugs in it. From my experience, if you have brew on your skills list, you already are as good as you can get at it. There is no improvement or failure.

(Insert shameless plug for reworking the brew and poison skills and object systems here)

really, i'm only asking for one favor in return. :twisted:
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!