Do skills atrophy through lack of use?

Started by , March 09, 2004, 07:22:28 PM

Or if not coded, have you ever roleplayed a characer who hasn't used his skills for a long time and hence is no longer very good with them?

I've often wondered if this was the case, but none of my characters have been idling in limbo long enough for this to happen.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I believe I remember hearing once that skills in fact do not atrophy code wise. However All of my char's that leave a skill for a long time RP wise have more trouble with them then they once had at thier peak.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Definitely not.
Back from a long retirement

Thanks for the info. I wonder what would be realistic, roleplaying-wise, for reflecting skill atrophy in your character. For example, let's say you have a Bynner that has retired and is now working as an armorer. How much time would pass before he would be noticeably poorer with a blade? It seems you might lose the edge after a few months, although the substance would still be there for longer...perhaps a period of years.

Things like combat dont get forgotten, it becomes instinct, i guess.
You might be a bit 'rusty', but you wont be worse. RP taking longer to do somthing, or having a stiffer arm swinging a blade, etc.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.