h-emote

Started by wizturbo, January 29, 2004, 08:29:29 PM

I was considering a problem I've faced several times in ARM, when my character is doing something a bit shady, but is doing a good job at concealing it.  Like, checking a girl out but doing so in a way very few if any would notice in a crowded environment.  There are countless possiblities, of actions very few if any would notice, but are important to emote out.

So, I was thinking of a new command.  

Hemote

Whats hemote do?  Pretty simple really, its just like any other emote, but in order to see it...

A)  You have to be able to see the person, meaning if they are concealed and you can't see them, you wont have an opportunity to see it.  

B)  There is a random check to see if each person notices, dependent on whatever factors the IMM's think to be appropriate, be it wisdom, scan, listen, hide, sneak skill...whatever.  That way, there is a chance someone will notice an emote, but very unlikely everyone will notice, and in some cases no one will notice.

So...in order to do the example above...

hemote pretends to take a long sip from his ale, but his eyes turn to check out the golden-haired females behind.

Anyone who fails the check (or cannot see me) would see nothing.

Anyone who succeeds, would see the emote like a real emote.

Think of the situations...someone emotes turning their back on you...you could perform a hemotes until they look back at you.  It would also solve the emoting from hiding problem!  So what do you guys think?

quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

It's been brought up with a couple different iterations quite a few times now.

The general consensus is, yes it would be a good thing to have.  But I don't recall any commitment to impliment it on the part of the staff.
Back from a long retirement