Nosave

Started by sacac, January 24, 2004, 03:22:35 PM

Here's how it went.

I was walking around town, doing my usual thang with nosave on (So I wouldn't get lost)
When the mud crashed and low and behold My PC was saved, where I didn't want it to be. And not where I saved and turned Nosave on.

So does the mud force you to save periodicly still?
Not current PC so don't worry.

And my other question When the game crashes, does it give all the mounts defferent stats? or are those saved?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

No save has nothing to do with saving your position gear ect.  It means you will refuse saving throws.  So if someone tries to abuse you, you will let them. Heh, and you were walking around with it on, that's funny.

Specifcally things like subdue will go off without a hitch.  I think it affects other things too but I can't think of them off the top of my head.  I'll admit as much as I like to laugh, it does have it's uses.  Like if a hg soldier tries to subdue you, it's probably better if you let them.

QuoteI was walking around town, doing my usual thang with nosave on (So I wouldn't get lost)
When the mud crashed and low and behold My PC was saved, where I didn't want it to be. And not where I saved and turned Nosave on.

I think nosave might be different than literally saving, as in saving your position and equipment. Nosave is for like intentionally forfitting any kind of resistance against X. Having nosave on would make you not try to fight against being subdued, or not try to resist a spell. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought it did...

QuoteSo does the mud force you to save periodicly still?
Not current PC so don't worry.

I think certain actions cause you to save, but I haven't been able to figure this one out... yet. The only safe way I know to save is to type 'save', which I do all the time. ;)

QuoteAnd my other question When the game crashes, does it give all the mounts defferent stats? or are those saved?

I think all mobs or NPCs or whatever people like to call them get, to some degree, randomly generated stats each boot. I've noticed that like a certain mount could carry a character and their gear one boot, but not the next -- too heavy.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Had to do it with that PC.. the soldiers would kill them otherwise.
anyways, Very misleading.. very.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Not misleading at all. From the help files:
NOSAVE  (Combat)

Turning nosave 'on' will cause your character to automatically fail all saving throws to which he/she is entitled. It is useful in numerous situations where a spell will actually have beneficial effects upon you, and you would not want to impede those effects.

You can also use nosave to willingly surrender your character if he/she has committed a crime, and wishes to give him/herself up to the law. (This can be a good idea, since resisting arrest is not looked upon highly.)

Typing nosave by itself will toggle it on and off. To see the status of your nosave either check 'stat', or type 'nosave status'. To turn it explicitly on or off, type 'nosave on' or 'nosave off'.

Syntax:
   nosave [on|off|status]

Note:
Nosaving when soldiers are trying to subdue you will allow them to do so, sometimes preventing them from attacking.

Nowhere in the above does it mention, indicate, or even vaguely imply that nosave has anything to do with saving your equipment or location, or that it is even remotely related to issues resulting from game crashes.

However: again - from the help files:
QuoteSAVE  (General)

This command will take a 'freeze-frame' picture of your character and store it to disk. All current effects (such as ambient spells and skills), current positioning of equipment worn, the status of one's mount (if any), and the room your character is currently in, are all stored into the file created by a save.

In order to save a mount (aside from renting it at the stables), you must have your character mount it, and then save as normal. Next time you enter the world (i.e., log in), your character will be mounted on the animal. Alternatively, if your character is not mounted, but his/her animal is hitched to the character and in the same room when you save, then when you next log in, your mount will be hitched to your character. (Note that a "quit" counts as a "save" automatically, so if you quit, that moment counts as your last save.)

Autosaves (saving without typing the command "save") occur every ten to twenty minutes, starting with the time you log in. These autosaves do not occur for people who have lost their link or have been idle for over ten minutes.

Syntax:
   save

Notes:
   Very good times to save are: - just after you have received some money or items, whether by being presented with them as payment, or having just successfully stolen them, or having bought that long sought-after item. - just before you leave a city, village, or outpost (i.e., at the beginning of a journey). - just after you arrive in a city, village, or outpost (i.e., at the end of a journey). - any time your character is in a safe place, and is in healthy condition, essentially.

During journeys in a group, it is a good idea for the leader of the party to OOCly 'call the saves' periodically, so that if the game crashes, at least you will all log back into the game in the same location. This is especially useful if you are travelling through dangerous territory (i.e., just about anywhere in the Known World).

This "save" helpfile specifies that "save" is what to do when you want to save your character's file in the database. Further, nowhere in the "save" helpfile does it imply, indicate, or even vaguely hint that it is even remotely related to preventing your character from allowing itself to be subdued or otherwise manipulated via various game code.

I don't see where you could've been misled or confused, although the "nosave" flag does confuse me all the time simply because I can never remember if "nosave ON" means I'm allowing myself to automatically fall from a cliff, or if I'm refusing to automatically fall from a cliff.