Author Topic: Age and aging and old bastards.  (Read 2181 times)

Age and aging and old bastards.
« on: January 21, 2004, 11:18:56 PM »
  Following is a list of the average lifespan of members of each race on
Zalanthas, in Zalanthan years:

Mantises        24                 Half-giants     82
      Muls            60                 Elves           92
      Humans          68                 Dwarves        100
      Half-elves      76                 Halflings      120

Note that all races develop proportionally to their average lifespans, so a
30 year old halfling would be in roughly the same stage of development as a
17 year old human.

I am assuming that a human could possibly live to be 120. At this point they would likely be decrepit and would likely have to have been wealthy or noble etc.

Now assuming that, does that mean by the proportial age development that a dwarf could possible live to be 176 although decrepit?

Or a halfling to  212 etc.?

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 11:26:54 PM »
Considering only the realm of possibility, of course one might live to be 120. However, it is much more likely that one could live to see 80 or 90. There are no natural life-preserving technologies on Zalanthas, but the air is cleaner, the food better for you, and so forth. It should not be common to see 90 year olds, but by the same token, you should not be shocked to hear of the same.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

sacac

Re: Age and aging and old bastards.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 11:29:22 PM »
  Following is a list of the average lifespan of members of each race on
Zalanthas, in Zalanthan years:

Mantises        24                 Half-giants     82
      Muls            60                 Elves           92
      Humans          68                 Dwarves        100
      Half-elves      76                 Halflings      120

Note that all races develop proportionally to their average lifespans, so a
30 year old halfling would be in roughly the same stage of development as a
17 year old human.

Anyone else notice that?
Average.. considering how many die young.. I would say that it would be very common to see old ass people..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

crymerci

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 11:34:52 PM »
Ok, the average life expectancy for a human is 68 or so.  Average means some older, some younger...but I would say that a commoner doesn't get much older than 80 or early 90's at most.

Now, for the upper 90's and over 100, I would agree that you'd have to be wealthy or noble, or that you would have to be at least partially preserved by magick.  120 I'd say would almost definitely have to be with the aid of magick.  That's almost twice the "typical" age span.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

UnderSeven

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 11:54:24 PM »
That's not to mention very few people die of age.  Most people who arn't merchants or nobles probably meet their end any number of other ways.  For instance just because disease doesn't affect pcs doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

sacac

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 11:55:16 PM »
Hm.. then again.. for humans.. it might be taking Tek into the deal.. :)
which will even it out.. Muk-utep the elf.. Sandstorm the dwarf lord..
(I don't know for sure.. so don't ask)
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

UnderSeven

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 11:58:33 PM »
Ahh no, I think it's very safe to say sorcerers don't count after a certain point.  When they start living forever I think it's safe to say they cease really being ANY race and thus don't fit on the chart in any sense.

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 10:36:39 AM »
I believe that the chart is to be interpretted in regards to sickness and age. Murder or being eaten or whatever doesn't appear to be a factor in it.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 11:12:31 AM »
Somebody said that the majority of folks will not die of old age in Zalanthas. Are you refering to PCs or NPCs and VNPCs? If you are refering to PCs, you are correct. If you are refering to the rest of the world (the NPCs and VNPCs), you are incorrect.

UnderSeven

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 12:21:05 PM »
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
If you are refering to the rest of the world (the NPCs and VNPCs), you are incorrect.

Pcs can be an often good indicator of npcs, although this is clearly not always true.  Lets look at the populace of Zalathanus.  Most of the npcs/vnpcs are the impoverished poor.  Are you trying to tell me someone who spends every day just tring not to starve is exactly someone who will die of old age? Think not.  Now lets go up a class.  I think it's safe to assume the soldiering class isn't going to die of old age.  Really the only ones who have a chance are the laborers who ARN'T miners or working in the farms which are occasionally getting gith raided.  The merchant class also mind you probably can't be considered that huge a class.

I'd say dying of old age is pretty rare even for the npcs/vnpcs.

(Nobles and other aristicrats aside of course)

Carnage

• Posting Privileges Revoked
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 01:22:55 PM »
Quote from: "UnderSeven"
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
If you are refering to the rest of the world (the NPCs and VNPCs), you are incorrect.

Pcs can be an often good indicator of npcs, although this is clearly not always true.  Lets look at the populace of Zalathanus.  Most of the npcs/vnpcs are the impoverished poor.  Are you trying to tell me someone who spends every day just tring not to starve is exactly someone who will die of old age? Think not.  Now lets go up a class.  I think it's safe to assume the soldiering class isn't going to die of old age.  Really the only ones who have a chance are the laborers who ARN'T miners or working in the farms which are occasionally getting gith raided.  The merchant class also mind you probably can't be considered that huge a class.

I'd say dying of old age is pretty rare even for the npcs/vnpcs.

(Nobles and other aristicrats aside of course)

Quote from: "What You Know - Allanak"
Most Allanakis are slaves belonging to the nobles and Templars, and the commoners are usually of the merchant class or soldiers in Tektolnes' army. The rest of the population earn their living in less honest ways.

Obviously the merchant class is quite large and you're using the PC merchant class as a guide instead of the VNPC one. Slaves probably live to old age or are killed early. Killing a slave who's spent twenty years serving you would generally be a moronic thing to do.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Angela Christine

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 07:27:07 AM »
Quote from: "UnderSeven"

Pcs can be an often good indicator of npcs, although this is clearly not always true.  Lets look at the populace of Zalathanus.  Most of the npcs/vnpcs are the impoverished poor.  Are you trying to tell me someone who spends every day just tring not to starve is exactly someone who will die of old age? Think not.  

People and rats who are a little underweight actually live longer than people who are within their ideal healthy weight range.  It might be more accurate to say they live slower, not longer, because their metabolism slows down.  They are weak, listless, tire easily, are not as lively people at a healty weight, and obviously their growth is stunted if they are chronically underfed during childhood, but people on the edge of starvation can survive for a long time.

Now lets go up a class.  I think it's safe to assume the soldiering class isn't going to die of old age.  

Why not?  Sure, there aren't many old mercenaries, but mercenaries take more risks than average soldiers.

The Militia or Legion of a city occasionally goes out to fight a war, and durring war your life expectancy is very short.  There are many postions in historical wars were very few soldiers would survive their first year out.  But these soldiers are not -constantly- at war.  They don't even travel the known world on peace keeping missions.  

No, most soldiers in the cities rarely leave the city, some may go their whole carreer without ever leaving the relative safety of the city walls.  Most of the time they basically act as policemen, and most policemen do live to see their retirement.  These policemen have an advantage: not only can they bring out their batons and beat a suspect into submission without fear of camera toting citizens getting them into trouble, they are fully authorized to KILL any suspect that resists arrest in the slightest way.  They don't even have to do any paperwork after.  :twisted:  Gate duty is dangerous, as is guarding a caravan or smaller village, but basic in-city duties are unlikely to kill most soldiers.  Even if one gets into trouble there is usually plenty of backup within shouting distance.

House soldiers are a little different.  Many of them act as body guards at some point, and that is usually a fairly safe occupation.  They also guard the House property inside the cities, which again is fairly safe since they have the city militia to back them up if someone actually starts trouble.  However, most house guards travel far more often than the average city militiaman, and this is perilicious.  You're driver could go over the shieldwall, it happens all the time, killing you or stranding you far from safety.  Your caravan could be attacked by raiders or gigantic beasties, and *you* are expected to stop them with whatever men you have on hand.  Depending on the House soldiers may also go on dangerous missions scouting, hunting, slaving, etc.  On average this is probably more dangerous than city militia, but still less dangerous than mercenaries that hire themselves out as cannon fodder.

Really the only ones who have a chance are the laborers who ARN'T miners or working in the farms which are occasionally getting gith raided.  

I agree that people who are sent to the mines or the farms as punishment likely have a short lifespan, because they are considered almost worthless.  They are unskilled in the jobs they are doing, and were probably weak petty criminals before their sentence.  

But life-long labourers who have some skills and the right attitude will usually be given enough food, water and shelter to keep them alive, not out of compassion but because it is cost effective to do so.  It costs less to keep a 20 year old labourer healthy and working than it does to raise a newborn slave to an age where they can preform heavy labour.  For the first 5 years a child is simply a burden, the produce almost nothing and require both food and supervision.  From 5-15 they can become productive, but are still limited in what kind of tasks they can perform, and often the cost of having them fed, trained and supervised will be roughly equal to the value of the labour they are able to perform.  It isn't until 15 or 16 that they become really profitable, so if you want to earn back your investment you want to keep them alive for a while.

My guess is that most basic labour slaves live at least 40 years.  Skilled slaves could live much longer, depending on their skills and value they could easily exceed the 68 year life expectency.  Mine slaves are an exception, since mining work is usually inherently dangerous and bad for the lungs.  Even if the overseers do their best to avoid cave-ins and other avoidable accidents, miners often have to deal with unpleasant gasses, stale air, and dust coated lungs.  I would expect humans to seriously sicken within 10 years of starting work inside the mines, less than 10 for elves.  Dwarves might last much longer, because they are far hardier than humans.

The merchant class also mind you probably can't be considered that huge a class.

Eh, it's pretty large, although it can be hard to pin down exactly where merchant ends and labourer begins.  I think that most crafters would be considered part of the merchant class, and all of the finished goods in the world are produced by crafters.  Every sword, every shoe, every chair, every spoon, every shirt, every cask of ale, every bottle of perfume, every glove, every cot, etc.  Nearly every item stolen by a thief was produced by a merchant, or a group of merchants.  Sure, some raw goods brought in by hunters and gatherers are used as is, but most goods are value-added.  These people produce practically everything, so there has to be a great many of them.

The subset of rich merchants is fairly small.  Most merchants are just scraping by, feeding their families but not having much left over.  As they age they may lose strength and dexterity and so produce less than a younger crafter, but their knowledge and experience makes them valuable as teachers and overseers.  Some "merchants" will be skilled slaves that own nothing, but the investment spent in raising and training them makes it worthwhile to keep them alive and healthy until they become feeble from age.

Miners, hunters and mercenaries lead dangerous lives whether they are PCs or not, so most of them probably do not reach their racial life expecectancy.  However, most people are not miners, hunters or mercenaries.  Most people lead long, boring lives with only a few moments of danger.  Generally players choose not to play ordinary people with boring lives, because we can get that in real life.  PCs choose exciting, dangerous carreers and are lucky to live long enough to wear out the leather in their shoes.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 02:01:58 PM »
Excellent post, AC. Right on target.