Martial Arts

Started by Tamarin, December 20, 2003, 05:53:41 PM

Should there be a martial art skill to let unarmed fighters compete with armed ones?

Yes
22 (33.3%)
No
44 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: December 20, 2003, 05:53:41 PM

Quote from: "Wintermute"
Quote from: "Rindan"First, getting completely disarmed for most people is extremely hard.

Why?

Because they have the annoying habit of holding onto their weapon, you know, sorta tight while swinging its sharp side at you.

Unarmed combat exists in game. Try it and find out. Just because you do not see the skill does not mean that it does not exist. I find unarmed combat to be fairly good, as well. It is far faster then weapon fighting, and if you are very good, you can defeat someone who is just getting into using a weapon. In this game, an unarmed warrior will not defeat an armed warrior. However, an unarmed warrior will defeat an armed merchant.

I would like to see a more formal unarmed skill. I'd be pissed if I ever saw it become the equivelant of a new weapon skill, but I'd like to see the actual skill itself. But I'd let it be a sub-class, and not give it to any main class. Brawler would be this subclass. Not a thug, but a bare-knuckles, knock-down-and-drag-you-out typa fighter.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "Wintermute"
Quote from: "Rindan"First, getting completely disarmed for most people is extremely hard.

Why?

Because they have the annoying habit of holding onto their weapon, you know, sorta tight while swinging its sharp side at you.

Thanks.  I know this might be asking much, but attempt to use your imagination.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Heh - I would -LOVE- to see someone try and punch a guy wearing spiked armor. No, really. Just let me know when the fight's about to start and I'll drag a chair from the tavern and come watch.

I'll even take bets on how many seconds before the guy's fist looks like it's been in my blender, set to pulverize.

Quote from: "Wintermute"Thanks.  I know this might be asking much, but attempt to use your imagination.

Ok, I'll imagine that it's a glowing bright blue sword and you are a furry dog monk.  Ouch, it still cuts your hands off when you try to reach for it.

Just say no to Zalanthan ninjas.

Quote from: "CRW"Just say no to Zalanthan ninjas.

And yes to Zalanthan pirates! Yar!
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "Wintermute"Thanks.  I know this might be asking much, but attempt to use your imagination.

Ok, I'll imagine that it's a glowing bright blue sword and you are a furry dog monk.  Ouch, it still cuts your hands off when you try to reach for it.

Just say no to Zalanthan ninjas.

You have an interesting imagination.  I'd never, for instance, imagine a dog with hands.

How freakish.

You obviously have not experienced the Real Ultimate Power of Ninjas.  But fret no longer, because you now can:  http://realultimatepower.net
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

I've been flipping out and wailing on guitars for years now, son.  I'll hit you so hard you head will fly off and your dog will see it and puke, which will be totally awesome and sweet.

Quote from: "CRW"I've been flipping out and wailing on guitars for years now, son.  I'll hit you so hard you head will fly off and your dog will see it and puke, which will be totally awesome and sweet.

OMG you are my new her0
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Dances with Pigs wrote:
QuoteAnd yes to Zalanthan pirates! Yar!

YAR!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Oh my god...

One time someone did that in the game after they were shot with an arrow...

You hear so and so shout from the east, in sirihish, "YAR!"
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Aye!  Avast!
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I know that my character is not very old and can easily whip newb warriors with training weapons unarmed. Unarmed combat is as was said very much faster then weapon combat usually.  Also it tends to knock you out.  I don't know if its hard coded or not but it seems like it is sometimes. I know my 100+ day chararacter who was not a warrior would lay waste to newb warriors with weapons when he was bare handed and they had weapons. But against well trained warriors or gay uber npc's no dice.

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"I know that my character is not very old and can easily whip newb warriors with training weapons unarmed. Unarmed combat is as was said very much faster then weapon combat usually.  Also it tends to knock you out.  I don't know if its hard coded or not but it seems like it is sometimes.

Heh, I think you might be right.  I was once in the 'rinth and there were these two pathetic waif type NPCs, both unarmed and one was passed out.  When he woke up they started fighting again, until one of 'em passed out.  Rinse, repeat.  I'm not sure how or why these two unarmed NPCs started fighting, but it was funny as hell.  I went by again an hour later and they were still doing it: fight until one guy passess out, wake up, stand up, and fight some more.

Stun dammage is funny.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins